1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yan Huo Neurocinetics once more

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Mahtamori, Oct 29, 2020.

1. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Thinking further...I love the Yan Huo, but it’s really in a rough spot in terms of competition for its points and trooper slot. I’d like to see them with some specific tweaks by profile, I think:

MULTI HMG profiles: BS Attack (+1 DAM) to make their weapon equivalent to the Guijia’s main gun, which fits with the fluff and makes them a bit more attractive but not enough to supplant an actual Guijia.

ML Neurocinetics: X-Visor, to make it a premier standoff ARO missile platform.

ML FTO: 360° Visor; it’s situational but means the fireteam is harder to flank, and the Burst bonus from a Haris already makes this one B3 in active and B2 in ARO, so it needs less help if deployed in a fireteam as god intended. Also, the guns are on turrets and I can imagine it pointing one in either direction, so bonus points for that, but it might be excessive on the neuro profile.

HRMC: NCO on both profiles, because honestly this one is sort of fun to take already, and fitting a HRMC onto a S5 platform is special enough armament that asking for more seems greedy. NCO is nice, but unlikely to totally displace the other NCO options, and AFAIK an NCO LT can spend the LT order as a Regular order and avoid giving away its LT status, which gives a good reason to take the HRMC LT profile instead of just putting a Guijia LT or Daoying + Krit or Hac Tao NCO in the list.

2. SpectralOwl

Personally I'm waiting on the Fireteam updates before really wishlisting solutions here. If one of those changes makes ARM a valid defense compared to MOD-stacking in a link, the extra AP firepower of the Yan Huo could become far more valuable- all the YH's competition save the much pricier Guijia and the do-anything Shang Ji APHMG will struggle with TAG-grade armour. Wish I could figure out how the hell that Shanger profile is only one point over a YH, though, seems like some numbers were missed there.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the fishes have an SMG and that Neurocinetics is what keeps them somewhat in line. At their points cost and with Total Reaction, and their price is already a bit fishy, they'll be bananas unless Total Reaction represents a fairly hefty points hike.

Multi HMG and HRMC are extremely costly compared to AP HMGs. While I suspect the ML profiles' cost has been doped a bit compared to other profiles with +1B, the high burst weapons are still 6 points more expensive, making them easily 4 or more points more expensive than an AP HMG.

#23 Mahtamori, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I see what you did there...

inane.imp and Mahtamori like this.
  5. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I dunno... I feel the solution is a lot more simple than that. The ruleset is based on specific rules trump general rules, so all we need is a line in NC that says any burst bonuses after the skill are applied in ARO only, right? Would that not be enough?

Zewrath, toadchild and inane.imp like this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Or even just a line that says to apply any/all relevant burst bonuses to reactive turn instead of active turn. If it had had that from the start, this never would have gone anywhere.

Well, the part where it was a tinbot initially because of N3 carryover would have still been an issue since they changed how those work in fireteams. But aside from that.

inane.imp likes this.
  7. Snare

Snare Active Member

Can I raise my hand as someone who likes the Neurocinetics skill and found it to be a cool thing as a beginner. (I don't use these units much now, but they made me feel more secure deploying when I started.)

LeGweg, toadchild and Robock like this.
  8. Bazlord Prime

Bazlord Prime Member

Sorry for the necro, but I keep getting a "403" Error when trying to create a new topic for this. Here goes:

Hi all!

Just wondering if there's a consensus on whether the Yan Huo with Neurocinetics can use that +1B in ARO for it's Heavy Pistol in CC Mode? I understand that the "Neurocinetics +1B" skill has provided a bit of confusion thus far, but the angle from which I'm coming at this is:

- I understand that the intention of "(Neurocinetics [+1B])" is to provide +1 Burst in ARO.
    - Not just to the Missile Launcher though, but to the Heavy Pistol as well (otherwise CB should've just made the profile "Missile Launcher(+1B)", with just plain Neurocinetics.
    - So does this +1B extend to the use of the Heavy Pistol in CC mode, giving it B2 in ARO CC? The wording around what actually gets +1B from Neurocinetics doesn't seem so clear. Units like Zuleyka who have a Burst bonus on their pistols DO get to use that extra Burst in Active Turn CC, so given our hyper-wired Yan Huo friend is all about the Reactive Turn, I don't see why it wouldn't get the Neurocinetics +1B on it's Pistol in ARO CC as well.

Thanks!

Infinity the Wiki text for Neurocinetics:

A Trooper with this Special Skill possesses enhanced response implants, which provide him a better reaction capability.

NEUROCINETICS AUTOMATIC SKILL
    Obligatory
    Effects
    • During the Active Turn, the Burst (B) value of all the BS Weapons of the Trooper with this Special Skill are reduced to 1.
    • During the Reactive Turn, Neurocinetics allows the Trooper to use the whole Burst (B) value against a single target.

FAQs & Errata

N4 FAQ
    Version: 1.1.1, Dec 2021

Q: How does Neurocinetics and (+1B) work?

A: Any MOD applied to B, is applied to the Reactive Turn instead of the Active Turn.

Related Pages: Neurocinetics

9. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

No I don't think so. The Pistol is B1 in CC mode, check the weapon chart BS and CC modes for the pistol are different.

That said the profile is so dogshit honestly I wouldn't care if you claimed the +1B in CC for the pistol even if it was never the intent for how the model was designed originally.

10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I never liked the Neuro Yan Huo ML. I thought it was a trap. Even if it got TR I still wouldn't take it. In ARO you have 2 shots. But you are likely going against 2-6 from the enemy. At least with the regular one, in active, I'd have my 2 shots vs. 1-2 from the enemy. I prefer those odds.

11. Bazlord Prime

Bazlord Prime Member

Yep - definitely the Pistol is Burst 1 in CC. That can be seen on the weapon chart. And then 1 +1B from Neurocinetics would equal B2. *If* Neurocinetics work that way for the Pistol. *If* it works the same way as "Pistol(+xB)" does for other models, in that they also get the Burst bonus in CC Mode.

Haha! Done! Yeah, I'd love for the Yan Huo to get a little something extra. I know it's uncommon for the S5 Big Bois to have too many bells and whistles, but I always thought MSV1 or X-Visor would be in keeping with them being mobile artillery pieces. *Some* kind of visual tech would make sense. Triangulated Fire?? Dunno

12. Bazlord Prime

Bazlord Prime Member

Even better, if you can Haris the regular ML profile, it can get B3 in Active and still have the B2 in ARO if you need it. And it's cheaper.

But I have rose-tinted glasses for the Neurocinetics profile from N3, as I got ridiculously lucky with it a few times thanks to it's staying power, and just ended up critting on a 2 or something silly. Still - crits are different now, etc. Haven't run it for a while

13. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

To me the Yan Huo has other problems than the gun. But even if the ML got TR. I wouldn't take it. The other guns though...:smiling_imp:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation