1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why has CB split JSA from YJ?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by prophet of doom, Mar 5, 2018.

1. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I wonder why CB has made the decision to split the JSA from Yu Jing from a business point of view. Maybe it was to appease to the Chinese or Japanese markets? I once talked to a Chinese player who thought that the Japanese should not be in Yu Jing for historical reasons.

2. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I'd say it was for balance and aesthetic reasons. They wanted to expand the JSA range without overpowering or swamping Yu Jing, and they wanted to paint them Red and White instead of orange without confusing new players.

3. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

4. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Because the lolz, most likely.

5. prophet of doom

I can understand the first reason but not the second. No one would be confused by a different sectorial being painted in different colours. Actually, that just helps to tell them apart.

Maybe there will be soo many new Yu Jing units that CB simply had to split it. Maybe they should have split something from PanO instead, they already have so many sectorials. I guess story-wise it made more sense doing it with the JSA. Let's see how the Yu Jing players take it. I would be pretty annoyed if USAriadna would leave the Ariadna faction. My Mavericks would just be collecting dust on the shelf.

6. Primo

Primo Well-Known Member

Because in a scifi game which supposedly has manga aesthetics, a pure Japanese faction with ninja, giant samurai robots, neko-mimi bikers in akira motorcycles, school girls in kimono with cats and GitS section-9 will sell like hotcakes.

7. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

They still might. Actually I quietly hope they will, PanO could use shaking up a bit.

Removing JSA also gives them the possibility to expand the army in a bit different direction; IA will be more shooty army than JSA, and change might deal the whole "YJ is a CC army" myth.

Superfluid, sarf, DaRedOne and 2 others like this.
  8. prophet of doom

Sure, but wouldn't they sell as a faction of Yu Jing just as well? The downside of this decision is that a few YJ players will be pissed off and maybe even leave the game or convince others not to start. Imagine you had bought Yojimbo and a few ninjas for your vanilla YJ, but now you'd have to buy a full set of JSA models to play that army seperately. OK, this is may be what CB wants, but I don't want to be that negative.

9. prophet of doom

So you think the catholic nutters may found a separate nation for themselves?

10. Primo

Primo Well-Known Member

They would have sold quite well indeed, but they will sell better this way, there where a lot of otaku that didn't like the subjugation of japan and the whole 2nd class citizen.

Some players might leave the game, I myself I'm waiting to see what happens before making the painful decision, but they will be vastly outnumbered by the new Japanese players, expect this small band of rebels to outperform the 2nd greatest nation of infinity in the next global campaign

11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It would make sense. Especially considering that there were no Catholic-majority countries that founded PanO. If anything, PanO should be Islamic.

Shoitaan and Stiopa like this.
  12. Hecaton

I also have a feeling that a lot of the "Yu Jing" fans over at CB HQ are in fact JSA fans, and that the Yu Jing faction is going to get cast as both incompetent and irredeemably villainous from here on out.

AdmiralJCJF and xagroth like this.
  13. artimage

artimage Being of Pure Awesome
    Warcor

Except for the part where Corvus Belli changed the proxy rules a few days ago so you can proxy any model regardless of CB having a model for it's profile.
    It's certainly going to be frustrating for a number of players if CB does remove all Japanese units from vanilla Yu Jing(I'm primarily a Vanilla YJ player, myself) and I speculate myself that in terms of game lore wise, there will be units loyal to the empire still(I don't know about the idea of any named characters though) to keep those units in the game.
    Something like the Ninja being so autonomous that they aren't overly affected by the subjugation of them and their peers, or some Domaru Butai who feel grateful for the chance to rise in rank the way they have, or those with family in service to the empire they do not want to create possibility of extreme difficulty for.

Clearly, we're going to have to wait to see what happens. But overall, I don't think this is going to hurt CB in the long run.

Danger Rose, xagroth and Stiopa like this.
  14. artimage

artimage Being of Pure Awesome
    Warcor

Most of South America, being Spanish/Portuguese in nature, and being one of the primary parts of present day Earth that make up PanO, and the fact that they control the whole process of Resurrection, I don't see this split happening in the Hyper Power, myself.
    I do remember seeing someone trying to be silly, posting trying to get the people of Varuna to secede.

15. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

It'd make sense from aesthetic and gameplay points of view, but against the fluff. My speculations and hopes are based on the supposed "Acontecimento explodes" note from Bostria's seminar. CA attacks and destroys the planet, SAA gets into berserk revenge mode, PanO High Command mishandles the situation, the army says "screw this, we're joining someone who will support us". But it's pure wishlisting and speculation on my part.

The question is how many players would be affected. As someone noticed, it might be that CB looked at the Army statistics, noticed that JSA units used by vanilla players are few and far between, and it'll be easy to replace them. Especially if Ninjas and Shikami will stay (Ninjas are in the RV box, first Shikami is painted in Imperial, not JSA color scheme).

emperorsaistone and xagroth like this.
  16. Primo

Primo Well-Known Member

Perhaps, the evil Tohaa advance the Helot race to the point where O-12 has to recognise them as sentient species and forces Pano to return them their planet

17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I doubt Tohaa will make that blunder. Being able to exalt other races is quite the ace in the hole, and too much medding with that might lead to the Human Sphere to consider that Tohaa will try to do the same to humanity ("exalt" into an improved race... for the Tohaa, which might include servitude and the like). Also, getting a newcomer race into the game, in the shape of the Helot, while at the same time reducing the "most capable" faction that can be used to stop the CA... not a smart move, at least at the short term.

Splitting Acontecimiento into Aleph could be an option, so as not to overload the NA2, but keeping Vanilla's access to Acon troops reduced (no AD, no PanO troops like Orcs, no MO troops like the knights, etc...) since they already have connections (nagas, Scylla, Drakios, Teucer...), and since Aleph would then have 3 sectorials, leaving only Tohaa with a reduced number, but all human factions would have 3 if a loyal JSA remains (or some other sectorial gets given to YJ aside from Invencible).

Abrilete likes this.
  18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

From a game mechanics perspective; either they want to give Yu Jing gear or abilities that they think will work too well with JSA troops or they want to give JSA troops gear they think will work too well with Yu Jing troops. They also probably don't want to make too many mercenaries and they might want to remove mercenary status from a few JSA troops (Kempeitai and Yujimbo is my guess in that case).

As for gear, the only thing I can think of is;
    If concerns is too good for JSA: Eclipse Grenades
    If concerns is too good for YJ: Large amounts of Smoke Grenades

19. Hecaton

But that's ignoring the Southeast Asian nations, some of which are actually founding members of PanO, as well as the entire Indian subcontinent. PanO having an influential and active Catholic church seems counterintuitive considering the nations involved; honestly smacks of either "we needed spess knights to compete with 40k" or "obviously these other religions aren't important, my nation's religion would dominate even though we're vastly outnumbered by Southeast Asian Muslims etc."

20. Hecaton

I think the justification for this was story-based first and foremost; Yu Jing was supposed to fail, JSA is supposed to be the heroic underdog faction.

Aldo likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation