1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Token Sheet Creator - Updated for N4

Discussion in 'News' started by toadchild, Dec 5, 2017.

1. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Order, state, wounds... those I print in 10mm diameter and glue to Parchis tokens (they are sold in huge cuantities around here... also I can use different colors to quickly separate orders in the group 1 from the group 2 and other markers).

Tokens (camo, smoke, IMP, repeater, etc...) I glue to a bunch of cheap plastic bases I found that are half the height or so of an Infinity base if the height is not relevant, or an infinity base/double cheap base if it is.

I print all in regular A4 paper with an inkjet printer, use superglue to fix it to the plastic "body", and store in a plastic screws or fishing box...

Uthoroc likes this.
  2. Kakino

Kakino Desconfiando de Aleph

Havving Order/Unconscious tokens is a good way IMO to have a fast order count. You use a token to activate a troop (and you separe it from your order pool), if it dies your remove the token and if it goes unconscious you flip the token. So in your next turn your remaining order tokens will be = your active troops.
    The problem, as @toadchild said, is if you loss multiple models (in a missile launcher ARO), but if it happens the lack of unconscious tokens will be the least of your problems :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Daniel Darko likes this.
  3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I intend to use thick cardboard (fibreboard / mounting board) and PVA glue, plus standard printer paper. I used this combination when N3 introduced Silhouettes, and they hold up perfectly despite the years that went by.

The only worry I have there is I'd prefer to use a punch or two (one 25mm, for tokens that need a defined diamter, and one ~20mm for the rest of them) for that, and the 2mm or 3mm thick mounting board I used for the Silhouettes is way too thick for it (I used a hobby knife for those, but cutting loads of round tokens that way would be a killer). Perhaps it could handle 1mm or 0,5mm cardboard, though - I have to ask at the arts store (which, actually, carries both punches and sheets of mounting board).

Stiopa likes this.
  4. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

I had bought some 25mm magnetic discs that were sticky on one side, but didn't really care for the application.

I also did the clear epoxy sticky things, and like them:
    https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=IGOGO+...crapbooks+1+Inch&i=arts-crafts&ref=nb_sb_noss

Right now of course, no games in general, so I've not done up a bunch. I like the CB tokens with the new starter sets and hopefully the expansion pack in January has more tokens that were not in the originals.

5. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I can probably put together a 25mm foxhole pretty easily. Let me see.

Stiopa likes this.
  6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I prefer to have my regular orders, Lt order and Command Tokens with nothing on the back, so I can flip them over (and place on another surface, if possible); while my Unconscious chips have 1 wound on the other side, allowing me to place 1 wound => KO for HI troops, and 2 wound tokens => retire 1 and flip 1 for Achilles or TAGs (using 2 KO tokens for the 2nd Unconscious state of remotes, and so on).

chromedog likes this.
  7. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I had a heck of a time figuring out the best way to do this because it's very hard to find a 'punch' that doesn't result in the token print-outs overhanging the edge of 25mm or 1" rounds, and it's also nearly impossible to find round tokens that are 26mm or so that would allow true 1" circles to work. It was slightly easier (but still quite a challenge) to find a 7/8" or 24mm punch in the US. Eventually I got two different products: an NT Circle Cutter which is nice because it's adjustable to nearly any size, so you can cut for all kinds of tokens. And a Punch Bunch 24mm punch off Ebay. The downside of the NT Cutter is that it requires practice to get good cuts and is pretty time consuming, especially if you're trying to cut tokens in bulk. The Downside of the Punch Bunch is that it took me over a month to find it (I think they've been discontinued, hence purchasing from a limited supply on eBay) and it dulls very quickly and can make bad ragged cuts (which might explain why they aren't sold anymore).

I printed the sheets (professionally at Fedex on thin, glossy, photo paper), used a matte fixative on them to protect the surface, and cut 24mm circles and glued them (with a simple glue stick) to 1" Litko (3mm thick) acrylic rounds. You can get 1.5mm thick as well but I found the 3mm easier to pick up off the table, and it's closer to the correct thickness for size X bases for Marker States. They have a nice click-y feel when handling them together and I think they work quite well, though they were a bit expensive to produce overall (especially with all the false starts buying the wrong size punches) but I couldn't be happier with them. I also did them double-sided - you could glue cutouts on only one side but the glue is visible through the clear acrylic so the bottom of the token would look kind-of ugly if you don't put a another token on the other side (unless you get black acrylic or some other color instead).

Another thing I had looked into instead of punching was getting custom stickers (you can get literally any size) printed on the Avery website, though the process of uploading images one-at-a-time (not to mention the cost per sheet for printing) seemed like too much. Others have recommended getting tokens professionally printed on chipboard through custom game making services such as Gamecrafter (though this can be expensive as well)

Here's a pick of my finished tokens IMG_3065.jpg

And here's how they look up close:
    IMG_3112.jpg

8. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

@Stiopa so here's a question actually - the benefits from Foxhole are actually kind-of odd, since it provides partial cover but ALSO a -3 mimetism - I had to check the book again just to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating, but while doing so I noticed it also provides Courage. This actually wouldn't be too tough to add to 40mm token since it has a lot of real estate for additional text, but the 25mm version is rather limited...

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.25.45 AM.png
    Short of just jamming everything in there, do you think the "Courage" reminder is more valuable than the other reminder text?
    I might be able to fit it if I just removed the 360 degree before "Partial Cover".

Abydog, Koin-Koin, jherazob and 2 others like this.
  9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

A couple of quasi-weird requests;

Is it possible to have a setting where there is a 5mm dead space around each token (i.e. 11+mm between each token)? Ideally by extending the outer-most colour to the extended radius for the best result, but that probably requires a unique design
    Is it possible to get the tokens in 37mm?

See, my partner has a button maker that can do 25mm and (standard button size) 37mm, but it needs a bit of dead space around it to properly wrap around the button

10. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

That would be my solution as well, note about Courage is definitely more useful, it's easier to remember that this partial cover protects from every angle.

11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

You may also be able to drop the “partial” and just say “cover”.

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I can fairly easily adjust sizes and spacing, but the issue is doing it in a way that doesn’t lead to clutter and confusion for everyone else. PM me and we can sort something out.

13. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I need to make the text too tiny and crowded with even just 'partial cover' in there- I doubt anyone would assume total cover from a foxhole anyway so we'll do COVER, COURAGE, NO MOVE' for the 25mm version.

Stiopa likes this.
  14. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

To all the mentioned methods, add laser cut MDF. Some shops can do any size if you ask.

Card edges can be reinforced with superglue. It will also make them stronger as they become a ring of "plastic" with card in the center, so even more useful for thin cards.

15. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

PVA glue is better than an isocyanoacrylate, but a water based polyurethane is best in this application

@Uthoroc To approximate the code one tokens, you can glue together 4-5 layers of card stock from a cereal box, or similar packaging. I've actually made bases for miniatures that way. Very durable.

xagroth and Uthoroc like this.
  16. Abydog

Abydog Well-Known Member

Sarissa does some in 26 and 27 mm I believe. they are for star wars legion primarily and made in different thicknesses.

Lawson likes this.
  17. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

How did you get FedEx to actually print them the correct size? :D

18. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I actually thought I'd do them at Staples on a day that Fedex was closed and had a heck of a time because they're printer arbitrarily scaled stuff - so I ended up getting a refund. Fedex does full bleed printing so I could just save a pdf the same size as a piece of printer paper (8.5x11" for me) and specify no resizing and the tokens were the right size. This of course was after a lot of fiddling with token size on my home laser printer just to confirm the correct size and then test-cutting with my 24mm cutter. Hopefully all the stress I went through and the tweaking off the overscan to get just enough to accommodate for the various cutting methods means not one else will have to go through what I did though :-P

19. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Hi all, I heard @toadchild got a request for Madtraps to be added to the updated N4 tokens. I think realistically that Symbiobug and CrazyKoala would require tokens as well for those people who wouldn't be using minis for this (Dropbear, Fastpanda, and Wildparrot function identically to mines after deployment and so could be covered with existing mine tokens).

Here's a design based on graphical representations of what I think the current minis are:
    perimeter_weapons.jpg
    As far as the reminder text goes, I'm a bit unclear on exactly what would be the best information.
    Presumably the person deploying the weapon already understands that it has PERIMETER, so this may be unnecessary.

I think giving the opponent an idea of what each of these weapons does it the most important part of the reminder text. Therefore BOOST is useful. With the Madtraps, PARA is self-explanatory (understood PH-6 roll and IMM-A result). CrazyKoala we understand deals SHOCK damage, which is good enough, I think. For the Symbiobug, expressing that the result of a hit is the TARGETED state is useful and also implies that it targets BTS. Thoughts?

20. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I like the design. Nice.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation