1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Didn't finish the Interventor in time. Here's a preview from my most recent airbrush session to make up for it:

[​IMG]

2. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm taking a break on the hobby for the next two weeks. But I finished the Interventor, so enjoy that until then ;)

[​IMG]

3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I'm back. Glad you people like her!

Haven't picked up the brush again yet, but here's another update from my workbench:

[​IMG]

Those will be my Jaguars. As I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the original models, but I love the Druze sculpts. Yes, their armor is arguable a bit much for a ARM1 warband, but let's simply pretend it's all just cheap stuff from Taiwan.

Rearranged some legs for more dynamic poses, glued a chain rifle to the one on the left, trimmed down the MR of the one on the right to turn it into a LSG. The HMG lady got switched to another chain rifle and her helmet closed up (no faces for these guys!), while the hacker got the left-over AssPistol from my Morlock (without the blade) and the panzerfaust (former D.E.P.) from a spare Tomcat.

They'll get some brush love next month together with the Morlocks.

4. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

The brush was put to use again:

[​IMG]

I had airbrushed her orange on a whim, then I remembered she was a cat, so I felt it would have been a waste not to make her a little Mrs. Hobbes (with jetpack) ;)

5. maru

maru Well-Known Member

Hey Hey looks nice , the week part of your minis are usualy eyes but beside this Good job :)

burlesford likes this.
  6. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! Yes, eyes are tough. There's a reason I picked nomads: Lots of closed helmets :grin:

7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Speaking of no eyes: Finished another little bot (the contrast doesn't come out well on the pictures. There's a lot more brown to the mini than it looks like):

[​IMG]

Now my Daktari finally has her little pal, and as a bonus, she got a new base that fits better with the bot:

[​IMG]

8. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Two more conversions – the last ones for a while.

My sniper Securitate conversion accepted that she would never be used and successfully filed a request for a Feuerbach instead:

[​IMG]

And this lovely Aleph lady will be my Mary Problems. The SMG is a Haqq one. Couldn't find a file for the nomad version. Call it a friendly arms deal ;)
    [​IMG]

#88 burlesford, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    redeemer, Oni, Ben Kenobi and 10 others like this.
  9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

After the last few smaller updates, finally a big one again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That Chimera is a finnicky sculpt... I butchered her left arm a bit during assembly. I hope it doesn't look too noticeable now.

Also, sorry for the poor image quality. My phone has problems with focus when I get too close (especially for minis with a lot of volume), but from further away the resolution suffers. I'm aware of the problem and will keep trying to find a good compromise, but for now I don't have access to a better camera...

HellLois, redeemer, Daimeow and 16 others like this.
  10. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

This is turning into a pure pictures thread :P Not that I mind, mind you. As long as you enjoy it, folks!

Before we fully commit to Tunguska next year, some more love for Bakunin this month:

[​IMG]

#90 burlesford, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    wendigo, Fed4ykin, HellLois and 19 others like this.
  11. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Great work, love the little Hobbes homage!

burlesford likes this.
  12. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

love the pics. Keep me coming :-)

burlesford likes this.
  13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks! This week I also finished something special (to me):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is the coolest model I've painted so far. The whole sculpt is awesome: The dynamic, menacing pose, the rippling muscles of the arms, the scales, the skeleton-like reptile head, the massive claws... Loved painting every little detail!

For those of you who aren't from Europe and therefore might not get the reference: The inspiration for the skin came from the probably most famous salamander in Europe.
    [​IMG]

He's highly poisonous, so every kid in (German) kindergartens is warned about him very early on. When I thought about what to do with the skin of my scaly Morlock and couldn't settle on something I liked, I finally thought "Morlock...Morlock...Molch" (one of the German words for Salamanders), and that's when I had the idea to try the fire salamander thing. Since the whole lizard idea runs through the nomad faction anyway, it gave it another nice touch. To my delight, it turned out much better than I had dared to hope. I'm very happy with him!

#93 burlesford, Nov 15, 2020
    wendigo, Fed4ykin, HellLois and 15 others like this.
  14. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

You did an incredible job with him! A true monster.

burlesford likes this.
  15. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

That is super awesome! Congrats on translating from the salamander to the model, it is not as easy. Even without knowing the source inspiration is screams "I am dangerous and you better stay off".

burlesford likes this.
  16. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks guys! After the Salamander I gave myself the next challenge by trying a bit of a bigger OSL on Miss Poison Ivy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time I'm more or less happy with the OSL. One Morlock to go!

#96 burlesford, Nov 24, 2020
    wendigo, Fed4ykin, HellLois and 12 others like this.
  17. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Update: I showed the mini to my gf, and all she said was: "Nice gradient on the hair!" She didn't realize it was supposed to be OSL until I told her. So I must have done something wrong. Any advice?

18. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I would say two things :
    - the way it is perceived depend from the orientation, for instance the third thumbnail (the fifth large pic) screams OSL while the others say "nice hair tie"
    - it may be due to the color choice. If the blade was blue the OSL would not blend as a gradient any more (in my opinion) as yellow is blending to both orange and green in the clothing and the red of the hair.

EDIT: BTW the more i see your orange, the more I love it.

burlesford and jherazob like this.
  19. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

This is BY FAR the best blog post on OSL i've found so far. Just that set of "rules" alone might be enough. In this particular case, the glowing object (the sword) is not noticeably brighter than anything else, breaking rule 2. Maybe either toning down the glow in the hair just a tiny bit, and in the armor a tiny bit more, and/or brightening more the blade might be enough.

Daimeow, infyrana and burlesford like this.
  20. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying, I think it looks great, tidy and colourful.

Two things that stand out to me are:

The placement of the sword close to natural hair and abnormal coloured skin rather than armour plates. The armour plates natural colours can be demonstrated on the rest of the mini so OSL will pop easier, by comparison to the orange/red'ish hair and green skin tone of which yellow can be used as a highlight and muddle up your intention.

Secondly, it's an unusual OSL colour for a weapon - many of us are used to seeing blue, green or purple by contrast.

burlesford and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation