1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N4/C1 Token Design Questions

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Lawson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

That actually probably wouldn't be too hard to do. Once we've got this all sorted I can look into it.

Iver likes this.
  2. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Is the center pin really fine? Maybe the tube around it helps? I have an Olfa CMP-1, and it likes to dig holes in some cards. I discovered applying a tiny block of Scotch tape or drop of superglue helps the tip not to dig, but if you do not want that extra "plastic" after the fact, it sucks... oh! In one of the listings they have a "limited edition" with some kind of black disc, Olfa lists it as new version, with blade cover+box (mine has the blades in the black handle) and rubber pad. I better find something to use as pad, looks like metal plus rubber (I should have think about this *blush*). Crap, it seems they did 3 versions, based in the official site pictures: mine, then add the disc (rubber and metal?), then change the handle to lighter version (no pocket for blades) and add the box/cover (and keep the disc). Beware what you buy, get new stock.

3. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Mine has the rubber foot, which is removable. But obviously I'm not removing it because I don't want a spike hole through the center of my tokens. The rubber is sticky enough to keep it from sliding around - the biggest trick is ensuring you line it up in the center of the token for the cut. There's a guide that comes with the one I got that makes this easier, and my latest version of the tokens have hashmarks around the borders on the cardinal points to aid in lineup... but it's still admittedly tricky to get perfect because even being a quarter of a mm off is obvious with the gray border being so narrow already and me being really anal about wanting it to look exact same width all the way around. I've been practicing though and I'm quite happy with the results... and bonus points for not fraying/tearing the edges of the cuts like the 'punch' style cutters often do.

Maybe I got lucky with the make/model of mine. At least whatever Amazon warehouse in the US shipped it to me, I got a good one that was exactly what I was looking for.

4. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I said I'd get this stuff out this weekend so here's the link to the token sheet: TOKENS
    The only caveat is that I don't quite have enough 3rd party QC at this point (and we all know what happens when you just check your own work), so for now print at your own risk, and if you want to do me a favor, do a quick inspection pass on these and let me know if there are any tech issues I should fix.

What I'm looking for feedback on at this point is the following:

1) technical errors - any misspellings, wrong information, visual glitches, or inconsistent formatting of the tokens themselves. Color issues only if they are specific to playability/legibility (not requests for a faction colored version of token X)
    2) Missing tokens (e.g. "You're missing Targeted") or concerns about the number of a given token relative to what the average Infinity player needs (most issues can be solved by just double-printing sheets, I think, for things like extra orders)
    3) Download issues or problems with the link, printing issues that are not user error

What is going to be less helpful at this point is the following:
    1) requests for different artwork
    2) issues with the macro layout of the tokens that are not game breaking - I wouldn't try to cut the tokens into strips with a paper cutter since they're not all lined up in perfect rows, but cutting with an Xacto knife or scissors to get things separated for punching should be do-able.
    3) requests for more colors of camo and/or more colors/custom colors for other marker states. I will eventually be working on a way to make these available for people want custom colors.

Also @toadchild is in process on bringing this stuff into the token creator, so if you're waiting for that, sit tight. I'm going to put some tokens together in the AM and post pics here so you can see how the physical versions are coming together.

Willen, Errhile, toadchild and 3 others like this.
  5. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Thank you for doing this! :)

Would there be a chance, for simplicity's sake, of you changing the "canvas size" to A4 from the apparent Letter as a separate file? Less of a chance of a cock up at the printer's.

6. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Done. I've renamed my originals to "Letter" and the updated 300dpi and 600dpi pdfs to "A4size"

(PNGs still in Letter size - I figure if you're messing in photoshop you can tweak the paper size)

#186 Lawson, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Xeurian likes this.
  7. Nuada Airgetlam

Excellent, appreciated! :)

8. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

An update - I just had a bit of an ordeal trying to get this stuff printed at Staples (all my previous test prints had been at Fedex but they're closed today) - the issue was that the Staples printers, when set to 100% size, used 100% of the printable area of the printer - which is not the same as scaling the image to 100% and letting the printer crop the (white space) edges. Even after informing the print worker of this, they actually could not control the scaling of the materials. I trimmed out all the white space on the outside borders on the spot and re-exported the files, only to find that now the printer was scaling them *up* to 100%. There was apparently no way for them to essentially print "same as source" even when the image was smaller than the printers max area. After several rounds of trial and error and measuring with my digital caliper we hit upon a 92% scale of the prints. But then the printer started arbitrarily cropping the edges off the top row of tokens, even though they fell well within the printable range of the image. I rearranged the tokens on my page to tighten them up an exported again, only to have the printer start cutting off the tokens along the sides (which it had not done before while it was cutting off the tops) even though they again fell well-within the printable area of the page. Using the pdf instead of the pngs, they were able to hit the size better, but the prints came out lower resolution than I was hoping for - perhaps because a quirk of Acrobat actually prevents printing at higher than 300 dpi, but I'm not sure... I think I may have finally got something I could work with after a couple hours of fiddling, but I feel like it will be nearly impossible to replicate if I need to print additional tokens down the line - so I got a refund and plan to go back to Fedex tomorrow.

TL;DR Only print the PNGs if you or your printer knows what they're doing. I will confirm that the pdf can actually print up to 600dpi and report back.

#188 Lawson, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Nuada Airgetlam and Alphz like this.
  9. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Updated the google doc tokens to v006 with a fix for the size of the Motorcycle (was 40mm instead of 55mm) - thanks @tox

tox and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  10. Nuada Airgetlam

Would you please put the link into post #1 so that it's not lost mid-thread? Cheers! :)

11. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Done

Mc_Clane and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  12. Mc_Clane

Mc_Clane Zhànzhēng bùzhǎng
    Warcor

Doesn't the bike need to have 180º LoS?

There is also a typo on the last version PDFs. the IMP-2 text says IMP-1.

#192 Mc_Clane, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  13. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That depends on what you're using the Motorcycle token for. If you're using it for dismounting, it doesn't, mainly because if you've declared a move to mount the bike, you choose which way to face at the end of the move. And the bike can't do anything on its own.

If you're using it for a trooper with a motorcycle while mounted, probably. But shouldn't you have the trooper standing on top of the marker to remind everyone which one it is?

14. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Fixed IMP-2 tokens with v007, now up. Thanks.
    re: the motorcycle marker, I was led to believe the motorcycle markers are only used when a figure dismounts the motorcycle and the motorcycle itself becomes essentially a targetable/destroyable object on the battlefield while the figure of rider and bike is swapped with the on-foot version of the figure. If it's significant/important that the motorcycle marker be actually used in conjunction with a figure, or if it's part of some people's proxy methodology, I could consider adding the 180 degree arc.

15. Mc_Clane

Warcor

Well, if you use a S2 to ride a Bike your Shilouette changes to that of a bike. Even if you put the miniature on top of the marker to indicate the LoS, Having the LoS in the token in not an unusefull or confusing trait. Or at least that's my opinion, I can't talk for everyone

16. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

But now there is no way ti get a bike if you don't buy an already equipped model.

If you take a look at the rulebook, the infamous entry in the Booty chart is no more.

Xeurian and toadchild like this.
  17. RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG Still wandering through the Night

But can anyone actually get a motorcycle that doesn't come modeled on it? Booty now gives an 8-4 move, not a motorcycle, so there's no change in the models silhouette.

18. Mc_Clane

Warcor

well, that's a fair point, panoply and booty chart has a movement result instead of a motorbike. then there is no need of such a marker in N4 because all motorbike models have Bike silhouette what it may be needed instead is a pilot token

19. Iver

Iver Human Plus

Now the big question is what kind of looted equipment would give the character such an increase in movement without getting a full motorcycle. A small scooter? Super-fast heelies? A rocket-powered shopping cart?

Willen and Lawson like this.
  20. maybe a noogler's hat with turboprop?

[​IMG]

Iver likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation