1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OctoBrrrrrr, it's getting cold! Speculation thread.

Discussion in 'News' started by colbrook, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

My wife is playing Infinity with me and doesn't like overly sexualized minis - she appreciates that the minis in C1, both the balance between male and female figures and the fact that the female figures generally aren't in ridiculous armor or poses. I think the question should not be, "what women playing Infinity are offended by the minis?" and rather "how many women were staying away from Infinity entirely and have not even given it a chance to begin with because of the female minis?" It can be hard as a man, with so many things made FOR us, to recognize how the design of a game can be subtly (or overtly) unwelcoming to women - this is not just hypothetical; my wife is a first-hand example - she's been very put-off in the past by some games and decided not to play them because it seemed like they did not want her as a player/customer. It really does not take much effort to make minis that are feminine without being pinup-y, and I don't want to downplay the fact that it seems like CB has been making good progress. Hoping to see many more cool female minis in the future so I can continue to get my wife into the game.

chaos11, QueensGambit, Solar and 12 others like this.
  2. Teleute

Teleute RM100 Pilot

Uh, you might want to check peoples profiles before asking that kinda question. Cause all I got to do to answer is raise my hand and ask where the Tech-Bee's dang pants went. They could have at least given her some shorts rather than a repair-thong and 'engineer heels.' And it's extra disappointing cause that robot-assisted arm she has is awesome.

I kinda agree with you about Statuesque faces since not all of them fit well with every Infinity army style and I wish there was a greater variety of them too. The best thing would be for CB to put out option blisters for things like heads, weapons, bags, and other bitz but perhaps those wouldn't sell enough for it to be worth it.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, including that CB has done better and deserves credit for that. Occasional WTFs still happen but it's way better than the N1 days.

This all reminds me of a feminine mini I do like: Parvati. Does anyone know of retailers that get the Aristeia tournament boxes in the States? I really don't want to pay the shipping from Spain.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Cleavage and long hair aren't the only dimorphism signifiers, and unless the faction is designed to look low tech and excessively bulky, even wearing the same armour would not prevent most humans to pick out whether the miniature is meant to depict an athletic male or athletic female. That's difficult dimorphism, though.

I think there's something to be said about how CB has sacrificed some amount of gameplay when they've prioritized that players need to be able to tell that a miniature has large breasts at a glance over being able to guesstimate their ARM level from the same glance.

Not saying that miniatures like that shouldn't exists, but that it can be applied more logically instead of everywhere and that the equipment should be consistent between male and female and that the application of skimpy still has some improvements to be made.

Dragonstriker, Lawson and Teleute like this.
  4. MATRAKA14

MATRAKA14 Well-Known Member

I think it's ok to have sexualized miniatures when they fit artistically. For example it's ok to have a cyber sci fi ninja with exotic heels and so on.
    But sometimes it just goes against the design like with female ariadnans, high heels on combat boots look horrible. The recent female spec ops doesn't have heels and has strong arms, it fits way better visually.
    Also HI with impossible proportions with hyper slim women inside. The female jenisar is cool, the female zuyongs are not.

Sometimes I find myself wishing that upcoming miniatures are not female because many times they are significally worse models.

5. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Looking like a female with power armor on is hard... not. Just leave them unhelmeted. I don't like when men are depicted as wearing power armor while women seem to be wearing body paint like Zuyong and MB
    [​IMG]

Edit: that "the female body is gorgeous and we should show it whenever possible" comment almost made me puke

6. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

But … isn't this, how it is supposed to be? SCNR

But what I can say is, that there definitely are size differences:
    upload_2020-9-25_8-18-57.png

I doubt' they'd fit in the same armor.

But that's just my 2 cents.

edit: yes, I watched old TV series lately

Ashen_Seeker and RAF like this.
  7. SpectralOwl

No helmet is actually a far worse vulnerability in armour design than boob plate, and also far more painful to paint for those of us who are rubbish at faces. I certainly get the complaint, though I'd actually like my male ORCs to get scaled down to synth-muscle and a few sections of plate just out of a preference for a sleek aesthetic. If you like HI that actually wear the same armour on both sexes, Moblots are pretty good, though they're only HI in the sense that their kneepads get locked up by E/Maulers.

8. Mahtamori

Both a bullet proof helmet and boobplate are extremely uncomfortable, though. I think that if you've made a protective helmet that's good enough to wear as a precaution and also is highly bullet resistant, you're not going to waste that technological advancement by making the chest piece chafe and get in the way of equipment operation.
    Just imagine if CB started making all male miniatures have football-sized cod pieces (for my fellow Europeans out there who may be confused; under the SI system this would be called a "handegg-sized cod piece")

SpectralOwl likes this.
  9. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

lolwut

[​IMG]

chaos11, Stiopa, sackofowls and 2 others like this.
  10. McDevil

McDevil Well-Known Member

Teleute

About manga/anime inspirations. Some classics(posted again).
    fantasy.jpg sf.jpg

Funny that you mentioned GiTs. :)
    Nah I never check profiles(till now :) ), I don't care about gender, all peoples I treat the same on forums.
    But yeh I was to bold with my challenge. So you know one woman who play Infinity and don't like some miniatures, cuz oversexualization. And it was You :) And Lawson knows one, his waif. :)
    But how you tell what is and what is not. For some peoples naked female can not be any oversexualization, depends from context. But to another folk, exposed hairs or hands can be big no no.
    So Im into freedom for creators/artist. Lets them bring they vision. Most of the time its work better. And on the end we all vote with wallets. Every months we get new cool minis. And I think everybody can find something interesting.
    Lawson
    My friend. On single similar example. My Missus when I show her Infinity and start telling about the game. From her face I read that as well I can recite detail instruction about making industrial glue. In Chinese :). But almost persuade her to play green little fellas in Mlifaux. But winner was Kingdom Death. With all dick/vagina monsters and pinup survivors.
    On larger scale I see more women on Malifaux groups/forum. And much, much more on KD. So Im suspect that problem is not oversexualization. But maybe most of them prefer story focused and co op. Not ScF tactical competitive game about future spec ops?

11. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

That's exactly it right there... Get them into the Dungeon Crawler and the RPG is way easier.

12. SpectralOwl

You'd think they'd fit Monofilament ammo into Chain Rifles too, but Infinity is a setting immune to common sense in most regards. I'm not exactly over the moon about boobplate, but heavy battlefield armour with no helmet kills my immersion much faster than a bit of sexualisation, especially since I can actually rationalise the dolling-up, at least in the more techy nations, as being a selling point for recruitment- being on welfare in Infinity still leaves you with a better standard of living than most doctors do today, so joining up to a demanding and dangerous job like the military must have some serious perks and the downsides addressed. Getting access to all the best steroids out of Bourak would certainly be valuable to a member of a leisure society like PanO, especially since getting killed just gets you a brand-new body to show off to all your bored French-nobility peers, instead of being dead. Remember, recruitment was apparently such an issue that PanO commissioned a Recreation at frightening expense purely to have a pretty face to put on posters!

On the point of codpieces, I think some prominent examples like the Zuyong and Taskmaster may actually be close to your football example- let alone most of the TAGs, which are usually piloted by women yet have some of the most pronounced "codpieces" of the range!

Ashen_Seeker and Dragonstriker like this.
  13. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Wow, I can hardly recall how many times while playing a game about fictional soldiers in a fictional universe with colorful and distinct anime-inspired style I wasn't thinking: "Damn, If only this game had a bland, uninspiring and generic sci-fi aestetics. Like, generic faceless soldiers, for example". I mean look at that cartoonish corset female power armor, that middle finger Riot Grrl or.. *Ugh* catgirls! It must be appealing to The Male Fantasy and it's just disgusting!
    I'm glad that some dude's wife does not feel offended anymore, now that most of 'controversial' models are censored out of the game. I'm sure there's a big market for other dudes wives that won't feel offended too. Keep it up, CB!

Abrilete, LaughinGod, archon and 2 others like this.
  14. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

@Lucian there's a line between "aesthetics" and "cringe". Different people draw it in different spots, saying "I'm not offended, so it's not an issue" doesn't cut it, and such ridicule won't change that.

From my pov boob armor is impractical, but can be handwaved as anime aesthetics choice. So can be battle heels, though the less of them, the better, I like it when my tiny metal soldiers look like soldiers. But models like Tech-Bee? CB, when I'll be making a stripper club diorama I'll call you.

chaos11, Solar, Dragonstriker and 6 others like this.
  15. MikeWy

MikeWy Well-Known Member

I really don't mean to troll, especially as this is a serious topic for many, but I couldn't resist posting this video sorry - I know it is a Warhammer video game and not infinity but this thread just reminded me of it.

Personally I don't know anyone who gets aroused by little minatures or thinks real women should look like these controversial models, it's all just artwork to me and I would assume to most others aswell.

I respect that each person is different and some will get offended by such modelsbut personally I am tired of a culture where everyone has to bend over backwards to accommodate the few.

No joke here, putting biscuits on the end of your row of desks is banned in my offices for not being inclusive, apparently someone was offended by a tin of biscuits, they felt like it marked a teams territory and they therefore felt uncomfortable to sit there or take a biscuit (both of which they were perfectly allowed to do!). That I think most would agree is Madness yet there are thousands of us who have to follow this rule all because one person was offended by a tin of biscuits. Games like this, though not as extreme as my example, are similar. Who is at fault, the artist? Or the person offended by it?

16. Mahtamori

Fair enough, mate, I think we'll agree to disagree and that we've got a bit of a different view on what the miniatures are. To me they're the iconic representation of the unit of that name. They're in full parade colours, showing off before the camera. I expect them to stick the helmet on and turn the camouflage pattern on to full Urban (which is apparently something non-Ariadnans can do) when the going gets tough and dirty.

My one and only exception is a Wu Ming Chain Rifle miniature where a modelling accident left the miniature's helmet and armour piece near the collar bone badly damaged, so I made the damage worse so that it looks like the helmet has done its job saving his life from a sniper or HMG.

Ashen_Seeker and SpectralOwl like this.
  17. McDevil

McDevil Well-Known Member

Stiopa
    So that one mini is big deal? Kinda looks anime to me. And you can paint leggins, job done.
    Benkei
    Cool picture of duds in power armour :)
    Probably I use wrong word "gorgeous" , but I fell sorry for you, if that make you sick :(
    Around XIX female body become more prominent in art. And that works for me. And same as MikeWy I don't get how somebody can be offended by 32mm toys. Mostly used by adults. But hey whatever make you guys happy.

18. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Yeah, painting bodysuits is a good solution, and not only for that mini, but the fact that it got released in a first place still causes a facepalm. It's not as much as a problem for me personally, as acknowledging that this is a legitimate issue for others. And that's the bottom line here, neither people who want such minis nor those who don't should be ridiculed for their opinion.

19. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

I wonder if some bootleg 'Beach Episode' half naked Achilles mini will also be considered controversial. Imagine that big muscular oily Greek in thongs with beach ball ccw. Or is it only counts for females?

Hmm... now that I think about it, they should make thematic skin packs like in moba games. So anyone can pick a fetish they like.

#639 Lucian, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Abrilete and RAF like this.
  20. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

If the only "cool diverse" elements you can think of to differentiate sculpts are the amount of skin showing, maybe this is actually a personal problem? This attitude is just straight up gross.

You can still make troopers look different without giving one obvious titties and a tiny gun. There is as much variation within sexes as there is between them on average.

Solar, YTonic, Dragonstriker and 6 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation