1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line of sight and elevated position

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Xagul82, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xagul82

Xagul82 Well-Known Member

Does a trooper which is smaller than the building see a enemy model that is on top of the building if it's not positioned at the edge of this building?

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_I01WD mit Tapatalk

2. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

If in doubt, place the corresponding silhouettes and see if you can draw a line between the two.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

You need to check the line of sight as well as you can.
    For N3 rules, if the trooper on top of the building can see the trooper below it, the trooper below it will see the trooper on top by reciprocal LOF. Geometrically speaking you can't see prone units at a higher altitude than you without reciprocal LOF, though I think most people don't play it that strictly (I don't know of anyone who does).

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Line_of_Fire_(LoF)#Mutual_Awareness

4. Xagul82

Thank you for your quick response!

5. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

This is one of the "trickiest" things of the ruleset of infinity. As others said, place the silhouettes and check, but remember you have to see at least a 3x3 milimeter square of the enemy silhouettes. I think this is why @Mahtamori commented about geometry, if the if the troop is "prone" on the roof and not in the exactly border of it, none which ist below it could see the 3x3mm square, maybe a 2x8 mm rectangle, but not the 3x3 required. As he said, often players "forget" about this restriction and do the shoot, or for simplicity, if your troup is prone and in the border you can see and can be seen, if not the model can't see or be seen (a lot of players who lived the N2 experience before N3 do in this way).

6. Xagul82

Thanks, somehow I had in mind that the trooper on top of the building can only bee seen if he's at the edge of the building... I forgot the 3*3 requirement.

Urobros likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's because the base is 3mm exactly so if you're on an angle below it the floor that the elevated trooper is on will block LOF to a 3x3mm square. But a) no one really plays that was and b) mutual awareness usually makes this moot because it takes a special kind of rules lawyer to deploy a trooper on an elevated position with the rear towards the enemy and then argue that trigonometry prevents your opponent from seeing the trooper as long as that trooper doesn't declare a Move...

In either case, the 3x3mm requirement will probably(?) be gone in N4 along with the 1/3 requirement.

8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The 3x3mm requirement is in CodeOne, so it will also be in N4.

Mahtamori likes this.
  9. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

If we read C1 the thing with 1/3 it will be forgoted, but the 3x3 square still will remain, unfortunately, of course it will be an inprovement. If C1 translates exactly in covert terms into N4, then we will have covert when the enemy can`t see our silhouette completely :D (as it was in N2).

But if you are learning (or comming back) now N3, @Xagul82 don't pay too much atention on what we are talking right now. It will come in october :)

Edit... @ijw was faster than I.

ijw and Xagul82 like this.
  10. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Pretty much I normally see it played if the laser pointer can hit it it's fair game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation