1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB, does the Volkolak profile REALLY need a hate symbol on its patch?

Discussion in 'News' started by Nuada Airgetlam, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

@HellLois @Koni @Aiwe

I mean, it's literally a triskele variant of the swastika, a symbol used by neonazis when they couldn't use the actual swastika openly anymore. It's a hate group symbol. It was used by the white supremacist AWB in South Africa in 1970s. It's being used as part of the logo of the racists skinhead group Blood & Honor.

Not only it's awful to see in the game, but it could get your products banned in certain countries, like Germany.

I know you guys are aware of such sensibilities with symbols and unit logos. You gave a good show of that with changing the Haqq logo. Please consider changing the unit symbol to something that won't be promoting racist and white supremacist ideology and won't endanger your trade in some of the countries.

[​IMG]

2. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Looks nothing like it. Just because you want it to look like it doesn't mean it actually does.

3. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

It will definitely not get banned in Germany, Triskeles are not considered "hate symbols" here. They are attributed to celtic/nordic mythology, shamanism and such.

SilkyDJ, Zewrath, Rumdog and 5 others like this.
  4. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

it's mirrored and with a little different shape. It doesn't look to me the same at all, just a coincidence

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  5. Nuada Airgetlam

Not the round ones, the swastika ones. The rounded, inverted, broken, three-armed, etc variants are verboten as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

And that's really beside the point.

6. Nuada Airgetlam

That's exactly the same logic neonazis are using to defend their "totally-not-a-swastika" symbols. This one included. Why would you do that?

Nemo No Name likes this.
  7. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Maybe I'm missing somehting, but none of these actually resemble the Volkolak symbol.

It's not that simple. Whether or not they are verboten depends on the context and usually they are not considered "sensitive". It's used all over Europe in heraldry and municipal coats of arms.

No, it is exactly the point. You are suggesting the use of this symbol might incur legal repercussions in Germany, which is plain wrong. You are using misinformation to push your personal preference onto the company, which is mildly concerning.

#7 Knauf, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  8. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Man, you are seeing things

9. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

so, its a variant, of a variant, of a variant... that makes it a hate symbol? Its shape is different. The ones from those groups you talk about are 3 V united by a point, while this is an spiral in triangle witn concentrical bisectors. And the spiral is in different direction.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. Nuada Airgetlam

3 x V or 3 x 7 "united by a point" is exacty the description of the neonazi not-swastika triskele. Rotation has no bearing on the symbol, same as with the swastika. But I guess those who want to remain blind will remain blind.

I'll leave it to the Devs' conscience.

11. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

There's a lot of variations there, context is important, and even if you think that there's no connection, you should understand that for others it can be a red flag, especially in the context of russian military or paramilitary organizations.

Nemo No Name, DaRedOne, Solar and 3 others like this.
  12. Nuada Airgetlam

Thank you.

13. FreezeZ

FreezeZ Well-Known Member

If you have problem with that, then why you dont have problem with red stars?

14. LZ35SRX

LZ35SRX Well-Known Member

As a Russian I don't see anything wrong with Volkolaks' emblem. It only "promotes" something if you do some really sternuous mental gymnastics in order to see it that way.

"Offence culture" (of getting offended by literally anything and everything, and in place of anybody else) should sod off, along with Nazis, Nuada.

Barrogh, Zsimbi, Zewrath and 8 others like this.
  15. Nuada Airgetlam

Classic whataboutism shitpost, nice.

prophet of doom and Nemo No Name like this.
  16. SpectralOwl

Wargamers seem to largely be a mature bunch when it comes to artistic representations of objectionable material, and even that German law Nuada posted has an exception for art. It'll be fine.

17. Nuada Airgetlam

That's why I'm coming at it from a concern angle more than anything else. I'd rather not see this symbol in Army as I'm playing the unit. I'd rather not win that patch as a reward in an event. And so on.

Since CB have understood the issue with the Haqq logo being insenstitive, I hope they will do this here. Especially since there's probably little to nothing printed with the symbol yet. Maybe it's somewhere in the N4 fluff book, once, but boxes and other stuff probably don't exist yet. There's still time to adjust that logo to something better.

Teleute likes this.
  18. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Again, whether it promotes something or not depends on the context in which it is used. You can have straight up swastikas in Wolfenstein, but it hardly means that the game promotes nazism. What I'm saying is that it can be seen as such, it's a valid point to discuss, and it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

19. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

What, we can't have fictional nazis anymore? There's game series callled Killzone and there's fictional nazi-ish faction with nazi-ish symbols. Did you by any chance flood Sony with tons of mail as well?

Please don't drag that thing into Infinity. I really hope CB won't start censoring themselves or addressing BLM or painting their logo in rainbow.
    If it comes to that you'll the first one to complain.

Barrogh, Zsimbi, McDevil and 5 others like this.
  20. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

It can be dismissed if the original point is lacking any of that nuance though.

Zsimbi, Dragonstriker, Alfy and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation