1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Law Dawg slowly paints Yu Jing, Defiance

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Law Dawg, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I'm a slow painter and I get impatient. My main goal is to paint to high table top quality.

So first up is the Kuangshi set. I started these guys in April and just finished them yesterday. Overall I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm also getting better at blending the shading in the armour parts. They could use a bit more contrast and edge highlights but I'm calling them done because I'm getting sick of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    There's nothing worse than having primed the mini and getting the base colours down only to realise that I somehow missed an obvious mold line on the ass
    [​IMG]
    Also I hate painting guns. Don't know why but it's my least favourite thing to paint on a mini.

2. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Super cool Kuang Shi´s. Nice work.

For that you hate to paint guns they look very nice. (Btw. I also hate painting guns:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

archangeleong and Law Dawg like this.
  3. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

me too! I hate painting guns the most on minis!

Oni likes this.
  4. Law Dawg

I finished my Daoying hacker for Koin-Koin's June painting group. I wanted to do this model justice so I spent a bit more time on her. My photo app does this weird thing of increasing the contrast of the colours so the blending doesn't look as smooth as in real life . It is also the first time I use MIG pigment for a bit of brown dust on the base. I hope you like what I've done!
    [​IMG]
    I like how the back carapace turned out. I'm thinking of using that scheme for the guns in the future.
    [​IMG]
    Also the light grey parts on the legs should look a lot less blue. Next time I will spend more time adjusting the colours on the photos.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not quite sure what those hacker arm band's functions actually are so don't really know what colour to paint it.
    [​IMG]
    Along with the Daoying I also touched up a couple of my celestial guards that I started last year but didn't finish. I picked them up at my local store not realising they were older sculpts. They're still good looking though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It bugs me that the female cg with KSCD goes into battle with bare midriff, so I painted her with black bodysuit instead. I also tried to make dried mud on her base by mixing MIG pigment with Vallejo glaze medium. I also just realised I forgot to give it a highlight.

Coming up next: I need to paint the Yujing doctor and engineer with their yaozaos, the dire foes set with Xi Zhuang, and 2 boxes of remotes. If I get those done then I will have a fully painted force. The question is will I finish before Defiant arrives?

5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Like your style Law Dawg. Esp the Daoying. That guard lady’s face looks like ninja turtle lol!

jherazob likes this.
  6. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

They really deserved those additional pictures.

Law Dawg likes this.
  7. Law Dawg

Now that you mention it, I can't unsee it lol.

Ashen_Seeker and jherazob like this.
  8. Law Dawg

Yu Jing support team.
    The support team took me a while to do. It always seems to take longer while I batch paint as the progress isn't as obvious. I was trying some wet blending but gave up because I just couldn't control it very well. Does anyone have any good tips?
    [​IMG]
    The humans - who is the doctor and who is the engineer? The debate rages on. For me, I've decided that the woman is the engineer. I'll say it again- faces are hard! I messed up one eye on both models and both faces look slightly crooked if seen straight on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yaozaos - of all the servant bots across all factions, the Yaozaos are the weirdest looking. Why do they have boobs anyway???
    Can you imagine the conversation they might be having?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Law Dawg Great job on your Doc & Engineer. I really like how they turned out.

Uthoroc and Law Dawg like this.
  10. Law Dawg

Gui Feng Xi Zhuang with Madtraps
    I actually enjoyed painting this guy. The pose is dynamic but open enough to reach all the nooks and crannies. The sculpt though... not too fond of it. The armour with the out of scale loopy things and the thing at the top are ugly af. The back carapace is also curved in a weird way. I had a bit more success with wet blending on this model, and the face turned out quite well. Also tried some freehand on the madtraps. I decided to paint one black and one white, both offered different challenges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been looking for a good way to highlight dark purple. I find mixing purple with white makes too light and pastel, which counters what I want - dark purple. Does anyone have any suggestions?

redeemer, Croepoek, Uthoroc and 7 others like this.
  11. Koin-Koin

If you're into mixing, you can try with a pink if you have it or use a light blue.

What I used for my own YJ is :
    [​IMG]
    Base : VMC 70811 Blue Violet
    First Highlight : VGC 72014 Warlord Purple Matt
    Second Highlight : same with VGC 72701 Dead White (less than 50% but you have to find the ratio that suits your taste)
    Shadows : VMC 70960 Violet

Croepoek, Law Dawg and Golem2God like this.
  12. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

I like the black and white mad traps. Like sailor moon or samurai pizza cats

Ashen_Seeker likes this.
  13. Golem2God

The goats do look rather cute. I'm surprised that these two remind you of Sailor Moon &/or the Pizza Cats. Since they didn't cross my mind when I first looked at them. Baby goats/kids were the first thing to pop into my thoughts.

14. maru

maru Well-Known Member

the tense on his face XD

15. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

@Golem2God

Sailor moon because of black and white

pizza cats because... short anime robot with pointy ears . I know they are .... goats or something with hooves . But still. Pizza cats

16. Law Dawg

@Koin-Koin thanks for your suggestions! I have VMC 70945 Magenta so I will try mixing that for highlights (might make it too red though). My base is VMC 70959 purple. I wonder what's the difference to 70960 violet? I really like your scheme, but it's too blue for what I want.
    Thanks for a blast from the past. I wasn't into Sailor Moon much so don't even recall there's a white cat in it. Samurai Pizza Cat I did watch some, until the silliness became too much :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I like the chibi look, and my wife really likes them too. They feel so fragile though with their big heads on such thin necks. The freehand marking on their foreheads is the ancient Chinese character for goat.
    Yeah lol he looks very emotional. I find his face with the raised areas easier to layer highlights than the faces I've painted before.

Koin-Koin and Golem2God like this.
  17. Golem2God

I see. So their names are Goat & Goat. Glad to hear that both you and the Mrs. both like how they look.

18. Koin-Koin

I don't own 70959 so I can only rely on digital reference, but violet is darker and (I think, bluer)

Thanks for the scheme compliment but it was only for reference for purple. To be honest I found myself painting too much blue too but I'm stick with the scheme and I totally endorse it (first time I made scheme of my own).

How dare you !!!
    There is no such thing as too much silliness !!!

ev0k likes this.
  19. Law Dawg

Black Goat & White Goat to be more accurate:laughing: How else are you supposed to differentiate them on the battlefield?

Golem2God likes this.
  20. Golem2God

True. It would be very difficult for them to understand which one of them you are talking about.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation