1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Learnings of Painting for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Nomads

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by burlesford, May 10, 2020.

1. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks @Vakarian, and thanks @THEGRAAK for the tip! I'll try those colours next. The problem is I want to achieve this kind of ceramic effect like on the Cube Jager. It's not pure white.

Which, btw, now that I already spilled the beans: In my first post I asked if anyone knew who I stole my color scheme from. Well, it's this guy:

[​IMG]

Of course I added some variations, like the dark green and the reddish brown. But I love the mix of muted and flashy colors on him. I still don't know how to get my orange to look exactly like his – nor the ceramics. Any advice is appreciated.

Well, here's my next take on the whole thing: Zero #2:

[​IMG]

I changed the color scheme a bit compared to the first Zero, since I decided to keep the brown pants for Corregidor and continue the trend set by the Prowler of giving Bakunin the splashier treatment.

To compare:

[​IMG]

Next up, believe it or not, is finally a Tunguska mini: The icestorm Grenzer. Boy do I dread that coat. I haven't painted coats since my LoTR days, and I remember never getting them right. Here goes nothin!

2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I really love the bright colors on the Prowler. Thanks for sharing!

burlesford likes this.
  3. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I'd say your orange is really close! The studio scheme seems to have less yellow in the highlights than yours - sunny skin tone perhaps? I think I like yours better. The ceramic parts look like ivory or bone white with sepia wash? Have not tried it so purely guessing.

burlesford likes this.
  4. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I really like your paint scheme. Even though the miniatures are bright and vivid, all colours look good together.
    Keep up the good work.

burlesford likes this.
  5. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Before everyone thinks I've given up already I thought I'd say hello again. I haven't been idle, I just decided to assemble all my stuff for now so I can field more units on the table instead of building each one only before I paint them. Since most of them are just standard, I didn't feel like there was much to share.

But this week I did some conversions, or rather non-standard assemblies, of my doggies. Had some spare parts from a Taskmaster and a Lizard, which looks much better than the old wepaonry imho (that dildo cannon, my god...):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still needs some putty too smoothen out the cracks, but I like the look. I'm still not sure though if I should just take the dildo cannon off and replace it either with the rocket launcher or nothing at all. What do you think?

Thanks! The Prowler is fun to paint. I have the second one too, love the medium armor on them. And I'm glad you like the colors! Especially with the splashier Bakunin colors I'm happy how they turned out. Tunguska will obviously be more somber.

Yeah, maybe that's it! Less yellow. But I like it a lot now too, so I think I'll stick to it as it is. Or maybe I'll try the sunny skintone version on my Tunguskans.

Speaking of which, let's end this update with some proof I've not been completely idle on my Grenzer:

[​IMG]

#25 burlesford, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    HellLois, Vakarian, Xeurian and 6 others like this.
  6. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

These models are in need of an update by CB. Anyways your gun conversions look better :-)

burlesford likes this.
  7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

They are. But I hope they keep the "who's a good boy?" poses. Otherwise I'll be sad. And thanks! :)

I sat down this morning and decided to heed my own words from last night and get rid of the dildo gun on my second Zond. Let's face it, I'll be using the Transductor more than the Reaktion Zond anyway, and never two of the latter, so who needs two big guns? Especially if one looks like a penis? So I cut off some pieces (the balls? the tip?), reattached them, found a spare fin from a couple of old Hellcats and voíla:

[​IMG]

Fancy comms equipment!

And while my brushes are on vacation I also finished assembling my Brigadas this morning. Since I feel obliged to join the hate on the weapon options they put in these boxes these days, there were two things that ground my gears:
    1. The obligatory visor lift. Why make me paint a face if I could paint another cool helmet instead – and much faster? And why is it on the the ML? Give it to the hacker which I don't need anyway I say
    2. Where's the Combi Rifle the profile promises to the hacker?
    Luckily I still had some leftovers from my Corregidor box. So with a couple of hand swaps the Hacker got her combi, and since she is now left-handed, I could also swap the heads (before she would have looked the wrong way). Satisfyingly, the fair ladies now look like this:

[​IMG]

Tbf, the hacker now has a bit of a big left hand (it's taken from the male Alcuacile hacker), but you know what they say about women with big hands...

#27 burlesford, Jul 2, 2020
  8. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately pics are not visible for me.

9. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Stupid Google Photos, always making things more complicated than necessary :face_with_rolling_eyes: It should work now ;)

10. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Pics are ok for me now. Thanks for fixing it.
    I agree Google Photo is not the easiest option here.

11. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Google and Facebook are downright lousy image hosters, better to use some dedicated service like Imgur

12. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Loving those conversions, the hacker especially has great character with the changes. And the TR bot looks much modernized!

burlesford likes this.
  13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

You're probably right. I'm just too lazy to switch again atm :P And as long as I remember to do it in the right order, the pictures work – for now ;)

Thanks! Since I've been finishing my assemblies, here come two more:

[​IMG]

The one top is the limited edition RPG Kickstarter Nomad HVT that I got on ebay before I started collecting all the Dire Foes HVTs. Now I don't need him as an HVT anymore, and his body mods make him look like a Morlock, so all I needed was an appropriate weapon. Since the official Morlock box is sorely lacking in accurate weapon outfits anyway (another one of those), I gave him the surplus Combi Rifle from my Alguacile Hacker (who was already missing a left hand anyway – now he's totally empty-handed...) and the knife arm from the Icestorm Spektr (which I never really liked anyway and didn't need bc I already have the two old Spektr models). And there he is: My first custom build Morlock!

The second one was even simpler, and again due to a CB-made SWC box malheur: Since the Securitate come only with one actual SWC weapon across all models (the HMG – no Sniper, no Feuerbach [until now, but needlessly separate], not even a Boarding SG), I decided to build my own Multi Sniper. Luckily the standing lady from the Tunguska Starter volunteered, so all I had to do was cut off the arch on top, drill a hole, put in a peg and stick the tip of my Sin-Eater's sniper rifle to the end (the Sin-Eater is much better off with an MK-12 anyway, and I can always say that that's what his gun's supposed to be now :P)

So. Having assembled every last one of my Nomads, I'll show you the full magnitude of my foolhardy endeavour tomorrow wiht a group shot. It's..., well, I might have gone on a couple buying frenzies these last months...

But then, so God help me, I will finally sit down and finish painting that Grenzer!

#33 burlesford, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    archangeleong likes this.
  14. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I did it.

[​IMG]

Revelation of the day: Really dry drybrushing is pretty much as good as semi-professional blending – and takes a fraction of the time. Allowed me to finish this baby in 8 hours instead of (probably) 12. Also: First time since I re-started painting that I attempted a freehand again. I feel I can live with it.

Since he's Tunguska, I decided to incorporate more black and less ceramic and use the dark olive green as the main complementary color besides blue+orange. I like it enough to consider making those the default colors for Tunguska now.

Taking Stock

Like I said yesterday, I also made a census of what's ahead of me. I'm good for the next year I guess painting-wise. Anyone heard of the saying "Don't bite off more than you can chew"? No? Me neither.

[​IMG]

Split up into sectorials it looks like this:

Tunguska

[​IMG]

Corregidor

[​IMG]

Lizzie just happened to pose for this picture. I have no idea which TAG I want to play, but she's my favorite TAG model from the Nomad ones (look at those hips!), and since her guns are in her hands anyway, I can legally proxy all the other ones with her #smart

Bakunin

[​IMG]

For a Sectorial I never wanted to play I have a lot of its minis...

What's next?

Now that everything's assembled I can focus completely on painting. At this point I'm up for suggestions. I don't really care about Sectorials too much right now tbh, I want to get comfortable with playing Vanilla first anyway. So if anyone has a mini they see here that they want to see painted first, let me know.

#34 burlesford, Jul 5, 2020
  15. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I agree! I usually do that for my bases, and only on larger surfaces on models as the control gets a bit trickier. Also on the model I find a final glaze will tie everything together and bring down the speckly drybrush effect. My glazing technique sucks though and I need to make my glazes more consistent.

burlesford likes this.
  16. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Dang that’s one mighty army to keep you busy. Love how you have plan for a year (that’s what I do when painting armies too). Good luck! Stay on course and avoid distractions (no boxes of regret squirreled away... we all have them) and you will have a very impressive Nomad collection! Look forward to seeing the completed group shot!

burlesford likes this.
  17. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

That's a bit disheartening amout of models to paint. Have you ever heard you only need a starter and few blisters to play this game?:joy:
    Anyway good luck with your project.

Also drybrush is heresy.

jherazob likes this.
  18. jherazob

Just semi-related, if you wanna see drybrushing taken to the absolute extreme to the point of painting entire pieces of terrain or vehicles with smooth blending just with the drybrush, you gotta take a bit of time watching this channel. They're obviously promoting that line of brushes, but i highly suspect you can do everything they do without them, probably replacing the drybrushes with really cheap makeup brushes and making do for the rest.

Law Dawg, toadchild and burlesford like this.
  19. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Hmm, so far I'm mainly using glazing to color things in. Maybe I should start doing what you're saying. I'm just always afraid that any glaze will dull my edge highlights to the point where I have to do them all over again. But as they say: You don't improve by not trying out new things. Will give it a spin!

Jup. No boxes left! I mean, I have some boxes of a future NA2 project stacked up in a cupboard, but that's a whole other project that I won't bother with until next year. Or maybe even the one after. Right now I'm pumped to bring this army to life. And yeah, the final group shot will be awesome!

And yeah, that's what I heard. But I feel exempt from that because I had already bought way too many models back all those years ago when I didn't even have any prospect of ever playing the game :grinning: But yes, the friend who brought me back into the hobby also implores me to stop buying stuff. But then he sends me post of people selling nomad stuff for cheap all the time. What shall I do?

Didn't even see that fine print til I quoted you XD Well, maybe it is. But remember that riendship is magic, and magic is also heresy. So I'll try to stay on the lighter side of dogma :P

Nice, thanks! Watched a first one about their chipping effects – definitely will look into this once I start painting terrain. or bigger models. Thanks for the tip also about the makeup brushes. Never thought of using those for drybrushing!

Also, if no one has any requests paint-schedule-wise, I'll just go ahead and pick the next mini that's already primed: Lady Spektr. One of the first models I ever bought and such a cool sculpt! I honestly love the old Spektr sculpts much more than the new ones. Very excited to finally paint her!

jherazob likes this.
  20. jherazob

If you wanna see a full video explaining more about this, why it works and how to take advantage of it better, Uncle Atom did one:

burlesford likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation