1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon city project

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Usashi, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

I understand that the pilots are for the Azure Dragon... because the Combat Buzz is basically a drone. The pilots need to be seated?

Maybe not what you are looking for, but... Google "Hasegawa ground crew 1/48". Several options... though they are common fighter pilots.

#121 Biomckill, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Usashi, Wizzy and chromedog like this.
  2. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Although in the end I'll try to squeeze a couple of GW Van saars into that cockpit. The plan is to convert them a bit and add few infinity bits as well.

3. Biomckill

Let me think, are you aiming for something like this?
    [​IMG]

Because it is the only Van Saar with an Infinity look. I do not know how much space you have in the cockpit. It is possible that you end seeing just the upper body.

SupersexyJohn likes this.
  4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Based in various pictures, the box contains helmets for many/all of them, so the Big Boned Infinity look is possible. Or There Is A Real Person Inside Non Lycra Armour Infinity look, your choice.

5. Biomckill

Requesting clarification of the looks mentioned above.

Have you searched the DakkaDakka gallery for conversion ideas? Maybe there are some cheap stock pilot minis suitable for the conversion.

6. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

@Biomckill Yes, those are the models I want to use.
    As far as I know Van saar are the only hi-tech human GM models in the line and they lack skull attachments (I know, it's crazy).
    I hope they will fit just fine. If not, it's so much easier co convert plastic than metal or resin.

[​IMG]

It's true that van saar miniatures are bulkier than standard infinity models but on the other hand they won't be standing next to each other on the table. So the size difference shouldn't really be an issue.

I think the conversion made by Dwartist are still the best. I plan to use Hsien heads for base of my conversions.
    http://dwartist.blogspot.com/2017/02/wip-antenociti-28mm-azure-dragon_18.html

7. Mob of Blondes

"Big Boned", euphemism for fat (Cartman's phrase in Southpark? Balloonish, in any case). "There Is A Real Person Inside Non Lycra Armour", in any cosplay, even with minimum foam, people do not look like the miniatures, they end thicker.

Check the picture posted by Usashi. Top of body without visible head (leg proportions would be partially hidden by the cockpit parts), all armour with helmet... it could work, because the armor would appear to have reasonable thickness, so GW style here would look rather real (deep space suit), instead of the oversize head-hands-feet they normally are. Also compare Infinity male vs female heavy infantry; the females are skeletons.

Those bodies are out of production (all DF plastics, IIRC). Lucky you if you already have them.

8. Biomckill

So Dwartist was the author of the pics in the Antenocitis site... I recognised the minis when I saw the pictures (those pseudonazi Eisenkern minis...), but I had no idea about the master behind.

[​IMG]

Hmm, is not the usual cockpit. The legs are quite visible, much more than in the usual jet cockpit... so you really need a seated mini for the conversion. Or sculpt something.

However, I think the pilots are too bulky. Too much armor for two guys that are supposed to be pilot and WSO. And I do not buy the idea of a deep space suit. Also, those seats do not look like ejection seats. Too comfy. I would go for pilots with skinsuits or similar. But of course, it is my opinion. As we say in spanish, "es gratis y por lo tanto no vale nada".

And why those seats are not ejectable? I love the ejection seat warning triangles.

The last I remember about the Eisenkern was the Grav-Stug kickstarter... it failed, it was relaunched and it failed. Nothing since then... It is a pity, because like Usashi I prefer very much plastic or resin for conversions. And having Infinity-like plastic minis in sprues is like a wet dream...

SupersexyJohn likes this.
  9. Mob of Blondes

Meanwhile, yankee think-tanks make big bucks spreading "opinions".

What about the belts? It's just some designer's armchair (without arms). Too wide (like if they were rescaled in the side-to-side axis) and not shaped... perfect for bouncing around while doing acrobatics.

And months ago all the remaining plastic stock in the warehouse was liquidated.

10. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

When I got my copy of Azure dragon, inspired by Dwartist, I looked into Eisenkern. There were some leftovers available at that time but were too costly for just two pilots.

Sadly, there are no good alternatives. Van Saars are just looking good and are easy to buy. I was considering getting two YJ pilots form human sphere RPG set but converting those would be time consuming. Most STL printable flies I found are low poly. I could sculpt something from scratch in blender but again it would be time consuming effort. Finally using a modern 1:48 pilot would be a bit awkward for me like putting WWII pilot into a F22 cockpit or so. I tried to find some hasegawa/bandai miniatures from macross or other anime but I could not find any ground crew or pilot sets.

The best thing would be to directly ask Corvus belli for a commission. I mean they probably have a high quality resin printers and I assume their models are rigged. Changing pose of that human sphere YJ pilot shouldn't be a problem. Still with the corona virus outbreak and delays on the Defiance KS production, I don't think they have time to play around.

I'll see how can I improve those GW plastics once I get my sprue. Sorry for a long rant :no_mouth:

Now that you guys mention it, that's true seats could be upgraded. Changing original ones for a proper military fighter seats is a neat idea and would improve the overall look of the whole cockpit. I pondered about it for a while, however I'm not insane enough to do it.

Cheers.

11. cory

cory Well-Known Member

Usashi, Mob of Blondes and jherazob like this.
  12. Shingen

Shingen Well-Known Member

@Usashi, I realy admire your skills and style, please make the best Azure Dragon you could, don’t shy away from changing cockpits ;)

I even went so far that I found you a nice free cockpit to use, this is Gundam Mk. II cockpit from this link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3698341 converted using the simplest of tools (planar cuts and scaling) in 20 minutes, look how happy those pilots are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, the pilots are the ones I showed earlier, but with heads of some modern jet pilot and slightly repositioned arm.

If you want more images from different angles or have some questions, drop me a PM.

13. Mob of Blondes

And some weapons to fill the resin tank, while they are at it.
    <meme="bender's-let-me-laugh-even-harder">

14. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

Cheers guys, thanks for comments and suggestions.

Edit: I figured out how to do it. I accept you chalange. I'm going to pimp this over 9000:nerd_face:

I think I found a perfect pilot body for conversions. The only problem she is part of a bigger set...
    [​IMG]

@Mob of Blondes If you have access to printing services, you can get most weapons you need: https://www.yeggi.com/q/infinity+the+game/

#134 Usashi, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. Biomckill

Some time since I wrote something here. Mostly, I had nothing new to say but very soon I will be sharing some pics of new scenery pieces and others.

Life aside (who needs one, anyway?), I am in the process of converting the Hasbro Quinjet and I am in the need for two pilots for the cockpit. Some advances on this field?

jherazob likes this.
  16. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

@Biomckill I got the girls from MFC in the end, they are quite nice although details are not super sharp.
    As mentioned before you could try Van saar gangers of stl prints from thingiverse. There are a couple of pilots from titanfall but a bit low poly for my liking.

You might use Nakamuras Unit 9 stl police guys as well. Also, the Eisenkern Stormtroopers are back in Wargames atlantic store.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mob of Blondes

Wargames Atlantic's Eisenkern are new molds, slightly resized, mostly thinner. (Haha, now that I think and remember the other thread talk, cutting and mixing old and new could make both sexes: thick thights with narrow shoulders, etc... tho the shins and general height are a bit of a problem.)
    [​IMG]
    The vehicle kit had sitting models (not rereleased), but these ones should be doable with extra cutting.

SupersexyJohn, Usashi and chromedog like this.
  18. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

There should be at least two kneelinig guys in the box, so basically you just need to reposition one (x2) leg.

19. Mob of Blondes

I see what you mean (front one in the picture). Then both legs per pilot, unless piloting Dr Strangelove style.
    Probably easier to start with the plain posed ones (second from left side in the picture).

20. Biomckill

@Usashi I have done my own share of conversions, specially with fantasy minis, honestly (this from the guy that purchased four sprues of Mantic Zombies and a box GW Zombies just to start swapping heads, torsos, legs and arms) but the idea of getting one box of seudonazis just to cut some legs and get two seated figures with a look that honestly I do not like very much... not very appealling. So far I am exploring another couple of options through 3D printing, that include these shared by @Shingen

and also this one (though I would have to purchase the files, 9.99 USD):

[​IMG]

This looks like another opportunity for a nice Kickstarte: 3D printable dropship pilots

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation