1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else miss Adhesive?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Vanderbane, May 12, 2020.

1. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

So with C1, CB introduced Paralysis (para) ammo, replacing electric pulse and adhesive ammo it would seem.

Now, I like simplification. I like the new immobilized states, and how they function (even if they are a bit weaker in most cases). But I miss the thematics of riotstoppers as glue cannons. It amuses me to think about, and is a loss to the game in that regard.

But more than that, paralysis is confusing as well. Search for para in the forums. I'll wait. As you can see, it's kinda a common word in Spanish, therefore searching up discussion on the ammo type is worthless. Additionally, whats the theme of para? Is it an electric shock weapon (like EM) or a drug dart (like viral)? Glue just had such clarity, and I miss it.

2. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I think the most optimistic take is that it's a catch-all for the kinds of weapons that induce the IMM-A state... however your head-canon wants to justify it. Kind of like Pretas having a "chain rifle" even though it's a biological symbiont.

3. pseudonymmster

Riotstoppers being electric-based makes so much more sense to me. Splortting glue all over the place just seemed weird, and impossible to be effective.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

How’s that any worse than ORA as a search term in Spanish? :nerd_face:

For the record, a search for Para works just fine if you’re in the English Infinity section. If you search from the top level of the forums, then you get to find out the default search matches on substrings and you get hits on words like “equiparable”. That is what it is. :speak_no_evil:

There’s probably an advanced search option for limiting the search that you’ll want to get used to using if you’re going to keep the habit of searching from the top level.

5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Google is your friend, the following terms will work in 90% of cases:

Corvus Belli forum Para weapon CCW ammo

colbrook likes this.
  6. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Para is a terrible name for ammo that immobilizes or stuns.

Vanderbane likes this.
  7. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Ya know what else was a good search term?

Adhesive.

8. CabalTrainee

CabalTrainee Well-Known Member

English is only my second language so why exactly? At least in german it works perfectly. Or is it a spanish problem? I don't understand spanish at all sadly.

paralyze: "to cause a person or animal to lose the ability to move or feel part of the body, or to cause someone or something to be unable to act or operate correctly"
    -https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/paralyze

#8 CabalTrainee, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  9. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Because para is a common prefix that means nothing related to paralysis on its own. It's just as inappropriate as naming Paramedic skill as "Para" or the Parachutist skill as "Para". Para is not a common abbreviation of paralyze.

10. CabalTrainee

Guess that's a language thing then. In german we don't have it that much. As soon as i saw it in the rules i thought of paralyze.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Swedish, a germanic language, is very steeped in anglo-saxon influences not to mention that we make extensive use of "para" prefix and I was a bit 50-50 when I saw "Para CCW" on whether it was a paralyzing CCW or a "para-CCW" - a special type of CCW that isn't a weapon in itself but a parrying blade or weapon with similar purpose.
    Until IJW noted that it was a weapon unto itself.

In either case, "paralyzing" is fine, "para" is confusing. As Infinity is a game about paratroopers and paramedics of paramilitary organizations engaged in paralegal conflicts...

12. CabalTrainee

totally off-topic:
    Is it possible to use paralegal in that way? I'm not trying to be weird here i'm always trying to better my english vocabulary. I know paralegal only as a job description.

13. inane.imp

No. It's incorrect; but, it does make sense.

14. Mahtamori

I was aiming for the linguistic construct that'd be a result of it rather than a specific pre-existing thing - "sub-legal" (i.e. technically illegal but not possible to try it in court). I didn't actually know it's a formal job title in the US, I don't think it's a protected title over here, but then I wouldn't have been exposed to it owing to not knowing too many people employed in legal

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

You can put me down as someone who didn't understand what PARA CCW was until I read the description for paralysis ammunition.

Spitfire_TheCat likes this.
  16. Hisey

Hisey Well-Known Member

Do we shoot with Advanced Placement ammo? Associated Press ammo?

How about District Attorney ammo? Doctorate of Arts ammo? Exponential ammo? Experience ammo? Do Russian players get confused shooting "Yes" ammo?

It's about context people. Of all the words we could be abbreviating to get Para ammo, I go to paralytic ammo way before parachuting ammo, paramedic ammo, or paralegal ammo (except maybe if we're also thinking of the District Attorney ammo above).

prophet of doom likes this.
  17. Mahtamori

AP Mines -.-;;
    We're shooting with anti-personell ammo and placing armour piercing mines.

18. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

Is there any rule about naming the ammo after the condition is causes? Because Immobilizing ammo seems fine to me. I guess Immo might be an issue if they introduce Immolating ammo, but seems fine. Too late to change of course.

19. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

ATTENTION: Use of this Special Ammunition is prohibited by the Concilium Convention. Violators shall be prosecuted by international courts.

Joke aside, I also initially read para-CCW as "parade" CCW. Kinda bummed it's just a renamed electric pulse, but whatever.

20. inane.imp

FWIW I'm fairly certain that cattle prods have been used on parade grounds.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation