1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSS PLog - When Nomads Get Bored (and Go Bad)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Vakarian, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Hey all,

Been jumping into my OSS since the quarantine started and having some fun with them. Starting with the basics so far - Dakini and Apsara. More to come soon hopefully. Stay safe and paint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xeurian, Golem2God, Brimat and 8 others like this.
  2. Soul Samurai

Soul Samurai Member

They look very cool!

3. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Honestly ... shame on you :stuck_out_tongue:

The only Aleph model that I'll ever field will be Duchess, the cute cat-bot from Defiance.

But apart from that they are soulless Aleph Puppets, they look good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Vakarian likes this.
  4. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Thank you both! Working on another Dakini now, so I should have an update soon-ish, but got slowed down a little bit by building Kaldstrom and digging into the Code 1 rules.

@Spitfire_TheCat Trisha and Duchess are my favorite part of Defiance, very excited for them. And I suppose I can justify the soulless constructs as target practice for brave Corregidor troops... or just admit that I’ve gone to the dark side. Lol.

Spitfire_TheCat likes this.
  5. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Alot of people would consider the Nomad nation the dark side or a part of it. I'm sure your Aleph will serve you just dandy. Is there a plan/list that you are building towards? Why did you choose OSS when you were playing with Nomads?

6. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Having played exclusively Nomads (Vanilla, CJC, and I consider Starco to be within the realm), I sometimes speak “in character” about “friend computer.”

It’s honestly hard to say that ALEPH is good, although she seems to have humanity’s best interests at heart. Then again, the Nomads primarily want to be left alone, so I’m pretty sympathetic to them even if their fluff gets the darkest at some parts.

I decided to go with OSS when I found out the Asura HD+ was everting a Multirifle profile. LT2 was icing on the cake. So, I’m building toward a few relatively similar lists that use that Asura profile and a Dakini core, with extra flavoring based on the mission (Proxies are pretty much a constant, too, of course). The Asura may not be the best profile for the points at the moment, but I love badass heavy infantry and she takes the cake for that in fluff, model, and variety of capabilities. If N4 HI and MSV3 costs trend the way Code 1 has then I may be very happy with OSS in the new edition.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Golem2God

Same here. It feels like an extra Nomad sectorial due to the units in it.
    I like "in character" stuff as well. No harm doing it since a good number of us already do the same thing.
    Each faction is dark in their own ways. Wargaming factions from across the huge spectrum of choices follow this common trait. I can understand where you are coming from and why you gravitate towards the Nomads. I picked PanO due to it being the Human nation out of the playable factions that I would choose to live in. They also are the ones out of the Main 5 + O-12 that I could see myself settling down in if I was dropped into CB's universe.
    Asuras are a unique unit & set of profiles. Have posted a thread on what to work towards or are you just going to pick what appeals to you until you reach the 300-400 point range?

Vakarian likes this.
  8. Golem2God

Plus at the time I got into PanO their Vanilla starter was cheaper than the other factions. So it was a money saving decision that lead me down the PanO path since I didn't know about the universe as well as I do now. The male Fusiliers are perhaps one of my favorite sculpts in Infinity. The one male with his weapon resting at the hip I like the best.

Vakarian likes this.
  9. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Yep, the universe can be fun to get in-character with. I appreciate that while each faction has its own dark parts, there's also genuine goodness and value in each (most? Combined, not so much, and after Uprising, not sure Yu Jing has much left either), so the universe doesn't feel like it's full of attempts by each faction to outdo the other in levels of grimdarkness.

If I lived in the Infinity universe, by background, I'd probably end up in PanO (most of us on these forums probably would). But I'd actually like seeing the world from the position of a Nomad merc.

I haven't done a thread on Asura lists yet but I should once I've settled on overall list design. I might do that soon to get some advice on directions to grow toward because I've run into some struggles with my typical lists getting alpha'd a little too hard by my regular opponents lately (they're realizing that if they take down the Dakini MSR and HMG and leave up solid AROs, I can struggle to move out of my DZ).

The Fusi models are awesome (Icestorm's and now Coldfront's variation, too). It was the Mobile Brigada in Icestorm that really sold me on the game. It's still probably my favorite model in the entire range (though that's largely nostalgic). Built my love for solid HI and Nomads all at once. Guess I have him to blame for shifting to Asura-focused OSS lists. I'm certainly not complaining, though!

Golem2God likes this.
  10. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

In which universe is the almigthy AI good? Have you ever seen any movie involving AI?

So ... no.

Just could not let this stay here uncommented.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. Golem2God

I agree with you on AI's. My comment was concerning the mindset of people in the Infinity universe. I think having an AI like Aleph or the E.I. is bad regardless of what good people say will come about having it. I disagree with having an AI that powerful let alone having it able to think for itself is dangerous. Things can get out of control if that is allowed. Which is why in-universe O-12 is keeping tabs on Aleph just in case.

I think that because of the Combined Army war in the Human Sphere Aleph will greatly help preventing the E.I. from adsorbing the Human race. Which will also cement it even more as a part of Humankind's society. She/It will have to evolve in order to prevent the E.I. from succeeding. I think Aleph could become the other side of the E.I. coin. Different from the Ur AI but with similar power or abilities. Just reverse engineering Combined tech alone would allow both Humans and Aleph a greater advantage in the war and in the process start to blur the lines of difference between the two armed forces.

It wouldn't surprise me if Humanity becomes a smaller Combined in the process with Aleph as a smaller version of the E.I. I don't think Humans would become one with Aleph like the Ur did. But being powerful enough & having client races like the Tohaa & Ur is possible. PanO has already done it with the Helots and if more sentient creatures are discovered I can see that trend growing. Humanity could end up become a smaller image of the Artichokes or Ur empires in order to combat them effectively.

#11 Golem2God, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. Golem2God

Alot of people love HI and that aspect draws them to different factions. 40k sees these people choose an Astartes faction of either Imperium or Chaos flavors. Sometimes another faction like Orks or Tau catches their eye. Warmachine is in the form of Warjacks while Hordes or Fantasy wargames Beasts/Creatures are what pulls them in. Infinity is similar with Yu Jing being considered the HI faction due to Invincible Army. Though it mostly depends on the design people enjoy like how you find the Mobile Brigada spot on according to your design tastes.
    I too like the Brigada but haven't gotten around to purchasing the box yet. I'd use them for conversions or any other idea that comes to me.
    That is one of the major reasons people didn't like the way Uprising was written. It made Yu Jing look completely bad when there should have been some of the good aspects & people in each organization to offset the bad that was being showcased. Like having some ISS heads try to crack down or reel in the more destructive of their leading peers to prevent public backlash and prevent atrocities from occurring. That is something that would have happened in real life but it wasn't showcased well or at all in the story. Making it look like the population & heads of government were all ok with this when that couldn't have been the case completely. Some would be against the brutal reprisals because of their ethics or morals while other would just be doing it to save face of the Empire and themselves.

Vakarian likes this.
  13. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

It's funny, I came for the HI, and stayed for all of the other cool stuff in Infinity. In Nomads, I just *love* most of the camo models, especially Intruders and Bandits. In OSS, I love the Dakini and all the other robots running around.

I won't unleash the diatribes I've given about Uprising's writing here, I'll just agree that the fluff fell from nuanced to making Yu Jing look like a comic book villain with no redeeming qualities (that's actually a really bad comparison, and some folks here will probably rightly jump on me for it, because many comic book villains are actually very deep and nuanced characters, lol).

At least the more recent stuff from CB seems to have left Uprising in the past, where it should stay.

Golem2God likes this.
  14. Golem2God

@Vakarian I agree with your statements. A good amount of comic book villains are written well enough that readers care about them. One famous example is Mr. Freeze of Batman who is & will do anything to save his wife and cure her illness. Which in time turns him into a cold person considering the head of the company he was working for shut down his research into the disease.

As for Nomads what lists do you usually like to run? Aleph OSS has a good amount of camo troops and they are among the best in the game. So you will be enjoying Aleph's Hindu subsection based on your love of HI & camo troops for sure.

Vakarian likes this.
  15. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

One of many good examples, and I'm not even particularly well versed on comic books.

In vanilla Nomads, I tend to run a list with lots of camo and/or drop troops anchored around a Kriza HMG, an Intruder HMG, an Interventor, and some warbands to fill it out.

In Corregidor, I've been running order heavy (8/7 or 9/6 order groups) with a mixed Brigada/Alg link in the larger group, Massacre/Jag haris in the second group, and typically a Bandit in each group (with maybe a Hellcat or Tomcat in the mix too). People underrate Corregidor since the update - I've done very well with those lists (and typically, no Morans or Intruders, to most people's surprise).

In OSS, I've found that mixing any quantity of camo with the Asura and Dakini link is near impossible, unfortunately. I'll often flavor with a Naga or Dart, and pretty much always take a Mk2 Proxy, but oddly I find myself missing something like the Bandit the most (Dart is great but she isn't quite the same, without a shotgun).

Also, in painting news, I finished another Dakini today and started on a Shukra. So hopefully I'll have some pictures uploaded tomorrow.

Golem2God likes this.
  16. Golem2God

I don't care for comics but I do know some of the lore. Perhaps slightly above average depending on which superhero you are talking about. Wether it is the big two or the smaller big comic producers.
    Daysus or Nagas can fill that hole. Your leaning towards 8/7 & 9/6 groups will transition well into OSS. They should be able to do similar lists to what you are used to in Nomads. Irregular models are non-existent in OSS besides the Warcor so I can understand in a way why you miss the bandit.

Vakarian likes this.
  17. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Unfortunately, I've found going camo-heavy requires dropping the Asura (if I'm sticking to the Dakini link). Lots of room to play around as I get more comfortable with the faction, though, and I often drop a Naga KHD or sometimes drop Dart in to flavor. Multiple deep order groups also works well, but again, without the Asura. So at least for now I'm avoiding playing too much like Corregidor so I can give the old girl a try.

And, painting updates! Another Dakini combi and the Shukra BSG done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xeurian, Berjiz, Tourniquet and 9 others like this.
  18. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Really like those grey OSS! Reminds me a bit of 90s Sci-Fi with those colder, muted colours (Yoko Tsuno anyone?)

Concerning the fluff part: As someone who hasn't had the chance to read much of it yet, what's that about Nomad's having the darkest background? Since I'm getting into them too that is...

Vakarian likes this.
  19. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

There's certainly room for debate, given how CB portrays both positives and negatives of each faction (and I'm not counting Combined in this; I'm pretty sure we can say by almost any human moral code the CA is objectively evil). But Nomads have some really awful stuff hiding in the Black Labs on Praxis and in some of the living modules tolerated on Bakunin (can see some of this in the N3 book, there's a fluff blurb on a Pupnik that's basically a sex toy). And Tunguska's program for creating the Hollowmen (brains in jars stuck in VR and "allowed" to go out into the real world only to fight for the TJC), where some of the recruits are taken as children without their consent due to deformities that would have prevented them from living past infancy, is pretty bad (I don't remember precisely if the children are taken pre- or post-birth in the fluff blurb, but the idea is they wouldn't have lived otherwise). There's also multiple references to the amount of gene-splicing and body-modding the Nomads do, which can raise some serious concerns as well.

But I also appreciate them for the fact that they're the strongest voice for individual freedom in the narrative, even if that freedom is something that would make many recoil in horror. They get especially dark where that penchant for personal autonomy starts covering for abusive or immoral acts against others. While the English translations aren't the greatest, the concepts behind the fluff are generally very well done (ignoring Uprising, as must be said, sadly).

burlesford and Golem2God like this.
  20. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Thanks for the explanation! I certainly get the darker vibe from Tunguska especially, what with all the Mafia-like stuff going on. I just borrowed all the books today from a friend, so I'm excited to read up on it myself.

Vakarian likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation