1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code 1, Page 73

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Vanderbane, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Great point - another reason you don't ever engage both.

2. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it would seem to me that the -3 is applied. The only place I see that calls out FtF is in the MA rules and this is decidedly not that. Also, there is precedence for it not needing to be a FtF in skills like Mimetism (which would apply the -3 even if you just idled).

Vanderbane likes this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Check the example for dodging vs. a mine and shooting. Modifiers caused by the mine don't bleed through to the dodge against the BS Attack.

Mimetism doesn't need to be a Face-to-Face roll to apply because it's described explicitly as a modifier that applies when those skills are targeted at the trooper. Likewise, Surprise Attack's MOD would apply even in a normal roll situation because it says "applies to any Skill Roll that those targets perform in ARO."

4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

That's a really awkward way to determine that.

Look at CC Attack (-3). From reading just the rules (and not interpreting the example), as best as I can tell that works by applying a -3 MOD to the target of the CC Attack irrespective of whether the target's Skill Roll is in opposition to the CC Attacking model.

There needs to be an "for Rolls against the user" (or similar text) in the negative MOD rule itself. IE:

"A negative MOD (-) in round brackets next to a Special Skill, Weapon, or Equipment will be applied only to enemies acting against the user."

Instead of:

"A negative MOD (-) in round brackets next to a Special Skill, Weapon, or Equipment will be applied only to enemies."

Edit: The phrase "or to those enemy Troopers acting against them" appears later on Page 60 (in the grey box as part of the introduction of the examples) but it'd be clearer being in the main rule. Also, it runs into the fact that it suggests negative MODs can only be applied to enemy Troopers.

#24 inane.imp, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Sabin76, Mahtamori and Vanderbane like this.
  5. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

That's a good catch! And I also agree that it should be present anywhere these things are mentioned.

6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The example in the grey box is a skill that explicitly says when the modifier applies.

Consider the situation:
    1. Active player does Move into base contact
    2. One reactive model declares Reset. Another declares BS Attack along the path.
    3. Active model declares attack with Para CC weapon.

What’s the -3 MOD apply to?

Especially considering that if that was a modifier on a CC skill, it would be subject to:
    Opponent MOD: A MOD applied to the Attribute of an enemy when making a Face to Face Roll.

7. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing how it works, I'm saying that in the governing rule itself it should make it clear how it works.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation