1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army 7 with Code One is online

Discussion in 'News' started by Stiopa, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

This. Additionally, being able to put enemy troopers in Targeted state easier, with better consistency, and for a longer period of time will make any Guided weapons more viable, assuming they'll make it into N4 in the same or at least similar form.

2. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

And it takes me 1-3 orders to get it working in my active turn ... not taking into account moving into position ... good deal.

So ... it comes down to different opinions. And it's known what they say about opinions.

nazroth likes this.
  3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I do think they've boiled Hacking down to it's two most essential parts with this, but at the same time I also hope that Targeted will lose the extra interaction with Speculative Fire in N4. From recent experience, Speculative Fire is often game changing enough that it really doesn't need a full +9 MOD shift that it enjoys atm.

We have a saying in Sweden: taste is like the buttocks; divided.

That said, I think you're going to have to view Hacking as a way of stacking MODs instead of as a self-fulfilling goal in itself.

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  4. Stiopa

Yeah. In Poland we have a saying similar to the Swedish one Mahtamori quoted; "opinion is like a butt, everyone gets his own" ;) From my side I really like hacking in N3, and it looks like I'll enjoy it in N4 even more.

5. Spitfire_TheCat

Lately I was told that Infinity is not about MOD stacking anymore. Like we learned from MSV-Links-Teams ...

Just saying.

6. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

A reactive bent to Hacking isn't a bad thing IMHO, it's always had that in some ways. Messing with and delaying your opponent, inflicting maluses or buffs to your own stuff is a more interesting way for it to work than shooting but with your mind, IMHO.

Seems good on that point so far.

Stiopa likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

Like we recently learned from units that stack MODs sky-high while denying MODs to your opponent? Like we learned from the fairly sizeable increase in Mimetic units in recent releases? Dunno what you're getting at... Infinity is definitely about fudging around with MODs. Immobilize the target, then next order round the corner to get normal rolls. If you don't have anything to take advantage of the hack you probably shouldn't spend orders setting it up (even though on average it'll waste two orders for your opponent - or even more than that if you stick around to ARO with more hacking).

chaos11 and Stiopa like this.
  8. Stiopa

Not to mention that midfield hacker illuminating advancing troopers with Spotlight strenghtens any ARO pieces that will try to shoot them. This increases hacking's potential as a force multiplier.

Solar, Xeurian, Willen and 2 others like this.
  9. Spitfire_TheCat

I am not saying that I agree, but when I said I thought Infinity is about mod-stacking and complained that MSV2-Fireteams cancel every f*cking mod possible except cover, I got told "Infinity is not about mod-stacking anymore". If I remember right I was told to use timing related ARO-exploits.

Immobilizing then getting normal rolls is nice, but was already hard to pull off in N3. Active turn hacking is pretty weak. I pulled it of once in ... 3 years. Oh wait, maybe twice.

I won't complain about passive turn effectiveness of C1 hacking. I think it shuts down HI-movement even better than in N3, especially when there are no KHD, but I hoped for some active turn usefullness.

nazroth likes this.
  10. SpectralOwl

Since players are limited to one Combat Group in Code One, a lot of cost-efficient basic HI like ORCs (feels weird to say that) and Zuyongs will be playing corner guard with Boarding Shotguns to threaten high-MOD squishies, since those shotguns now have a DTW mode and Warbands don't exist. Hacking will very likely become the best way to punch through them quickly and safely. Also worth noting that BTS 9 is now actually a decent shield against reactive Hacking attacks, since with none of Hacking's usual superpowered ammo types Carbonite has less than a one in six chance of sticking against the likes of the KoJ on a normal roll.

11. Nolimon

Nolimon Well-Known Member

I can`t open Army 7 with my notebook.

12. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

I think that hacking is a bit stronger than now, but will continue as an aro tool more than an active one. It will not matter if you stack two effects, if when trying to move your hacker/remote away, the enemy keep getting free resets, but at least this time would be more difficult to save, not so free as in n3. I need to see it in the table to make a good assessment of its impact.

What I am affraid is what these changes will mean to EM and isolation in n4. If now adhesive is easier to shake off, seems that isolation will be too.

13. Stiopa

Good. Isolation is an insanely powerful state, and could use a nerf.

Solar, Tourniquet, Xeurian and 3 others like this.
  14. Spitfire_TheCat

Again I have to disagree. Last game I had a Red Fury Heckler isolated first turn. It was far from useless afterwards, so no ... not necessarily. IMM-2 is an "insanely powerful state"

But I know, opinions differ on this one as well.

15. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

Something fun I just noticed is that the cover rules are simplified. I don't see where you need to have 1/3 of your silhouette obscured. If any amount of obscured will do, this will cut down a bunch of time wasted determining partial or not on smaller pieces. Might lead to some weirdness with massive tags getting cover behind ankle high walls, but i willing to sacrifice that small amount of immersion to stream lining.

COVER A Troop is in Partial Cover when it is in contact with a scenery element that partially obscures a full view of the Trooper being targeted by a BS Attack. If the target is in Partial Cover, the attacker will apply a -3 MOD to their BS Attack Roll and the BS Attack’s target reduces the Attack’s Damage by 3 for Saving Roll purposes.

upload_2020-4-28_13-44-46.png

Someone mentioned prone on roofs (rooves?) is gone for partial cover, but I couldn't find scenery element defined anywhere. None of the examples seem to talk about cover as it relates to buildings tops. I suppose you could claim a whole building as an element now and if you are prone that your base is obscured if far enough back? I guess that also opens the door to: Is a whole building an element, or just the lips on the edge? Is each lip it's own element? (picturing just the Salvarheima stock terrain here)

Let me know if you see something more details in the book that i missed.

16. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

With that interpretation, you don't even need to be prone. You just need your base to be at a higher elevation than the top of the opponent's silhouette... and back from the edge a bit, I guess.

17. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Corvus Belli has gone three editions of Infinity without being willing to put into words "the flat surface you're standing on is not terrain." I don't think they're going to start now.

18. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

Yeah that's where I was getting to.

Fair enough, I've just took it for granted as a player that you had to touch the lips of the buildings, and it seems like everyone else does as well.

Seems like there are some issues they are working out on the launch. I notice that the Army web app is down (for me at least it says i don't have permission), the rule book has 1B on DA for multi-snipers, but 2B in my phone app, and the Missile Launchers in app have an impact template... but that isn't in the rule book at all.

And look at this! Auto-hitting circular direct templates?! Maybe impact templates will become these? My buddy is already typing up his rant for when the helot relaunches in N4 :D

upload_2020-4-28_15-0-15.png

This is all just wild speculation and nit-pickery for fun. Overall i love the simplifications and stream-lining CodeOne has and can't wait til N4 drops to bring back all the toys and factions.

#78 Nimlothautle, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  19. Mahtamori

Circular DTWs have been in the rules since N2 I think. It's basically only been used in Explode.

Xeurian and Nimlothautle like this.
  20. archon

archon Well-Known Member

A good example for simplifying things and a good candidate for a change in N4.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation