1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code One: what order do you resolve effects in?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by inane.imp, Apr 28, 2020.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Alice moves within LOF of Bob, a hostile trooper, and within ZOC of Charlie, a second hostile trooper.

Bob declares BS Attack vs Alice, Charlie declares Dodge.

Alice declares BS Attack vs Bob.

Which roll do you resolve first?
    Alice and Bob's FTF or Charlie's Normal roll Dodge.

This is important because where and how I want to move Charlie may depend on the outcome of Alice and Bob's FTF.

2. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

One small piece to the puzzle, but not to your case, specifically, is the text on p. 64: "If both players have Troopers that successfully Dodged, the Active Player will move their Troopers first, then the Reactive Player will move theirs."
    Perhaps this can be extrapolated to mean that the active player is disadvantaged slightly during the effects step – so passive player only rolls are resolved last. (But of course, this is just extrapolation)

inane.imp likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

You resolve all at the same time at step 5 the dodge movement happens at the step 5.1 and the outcome of step 5 is already known.

4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As PS says, Dodge movement (and all other effects of rolls) is resolved in the next step, after all Rolls have been made. This bit of sequence has not changed from N3.

TheDiceAbide and inane.imp like this.
  5. inane.imp

This is what you get for thinking about the problem when you're supposed to be working. I had one of those "hang on, how does that work?" thoughts. Thanks as ever for the answers :)

Although, it does leave the question of "do you remove Troopers which become Dead during Step 5.1 before you resolve Dodge movement or after?"

I think the answer @Zewrath suggested of "Active player Moves troopers first, then Reactive" is probably extensible to "Active player Moves their troopers, removes triggered Mines, removes destroyed Deployables and removes Dead troopers first and then the Reactive player Moves/removes their Models/Tokens."

6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Isn't that just "In what order do I resolve the successful skills?" Because otherwise you should be asking "When do models that suffer damage go Unconscious?"

Because you get into Dead by resolving the effects of a skill, usually an attack's damage and/or the save against that damage. If you don't wait to apply Unconscious (and Prone), why would you wait to apply Dead (and removal)?

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I would personally apply effects, if they are critical, in the order written in 5.1 which would have Dodge movement be effectuated last, just prior to Alert twisting around. And yes, it obviously matter which order you apply Dead, but not Unc, in.

inane.imp likes this.
  8. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

what and when have I suggested? xD

9. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

inane.imp likes this.
  10. inane.imp

Florian Hanke likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation