1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawdawg slowly paints Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Law Dawg, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

Inspired by @archangeleong, I have decided to put more work into painting my minis. I am no where near his skill level but I'm trying to motivate myself to improve. I just finished the Beyod RV Daofei and Zhanying. From the photos, I can see that I need to work on my blending skills. I am a slow painter and I tend to lose patience. The Zhanying unfortunately has a bad undercoat (I didn't shake the spray can long enough), but I didn't feel like stripping it and doing it again. The minis look fine on the table but the camera seems to emphasize all the areas that aren't blended well.

For the colours I opted for a bright orange with yellow-orange highlights for the armour and purple for the cloth. The urban digital camo was hard to paint!
    200403_165445_COLLAGE-1.jpg 200403_170059_COLLAGE-1.jpg

I'm fairly happy with the result of both minis. The purple cloth looks much darker in real life than the photos show. I'll have to play around the camera settings a bit.

Up next is Beyond RV Guilang with MSR.

redeemer, Myomer, WhiteWulfe and 9 others like this.
  2. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Nice. That Zhanying BCR is one of the nicest models in the range

3. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

I recently painted digital camo myself, so I can feel your pain, well executed!

4. Chaserabinov

Chaserabinov Well-Known Member

Great job, especially on the digital camo. I also like the colors You used in on the Zhanying. Keep up the good work :)

archangeleong likes this.
  5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

They look pretty dang cool to me! Camo is well done (I feel your pain as it’s hard to do). Hope to see more guys painted soon :-)

6. Law Dawg

Thanks for the encouragement! For the camo I referenced the Chinese PLA urban camo patterns and colours. I also took a closer look at how @archangeleong did his camo and tried to replicate some of his techniques on the Guilang I've just painted.

7. Law Dawg

Guilang with MSR. I really like the model, especially the coat. Not a fan of the pose though, it's hard to paint. The downward facing pose also obscures a lot of fantastic details such as the face and the eyes. It was also difficult to assemble as the wrist joint connecting to the rifle was quite fiddly.
    200405_160536_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    Overall I'm quite happy with how she turned out. Painting digi camo on her and the Daofei was definitely doing it on hard mode as their coats have lots of folds. I may do this camo scheme for all my YJ troops that have camo.

Up next: The rest of the Red Veil YJ models. They are already painted but not based. I will add bases and updating the models with some highlights.

redeemer, Oni, Joametz and 4 others like this.
  8. Law Dawg

An update! I painted the Red Veil models last year without highlights and just plain bases. So I spent some time fixing them up.

Zhanshi - the faces are hard to paint! I made the skin a tad dark so they ended up looking more southeast Asian rather than east Asian. Also thought I'd give them anime hair colours. Kind of messed up the green hair girl's face :/ They were the first Infinity models I painted. The bases were made with random plastic bits and sprues. I didn't really have a plan of what I was making so they're just random sci-fi doodads. They're really more trouble than they're worth.
    20200413_163212_HDR~2.jpg

Ninja and Tiger AHD - now we're talking about fun stuff! Awesome models with very dynamic poses. Having painted GW space marines I really appreciate the variety Infinity offers.
    20200413_161640~2.jpg

Zuyong - again awesome model and fun to paint, though he didn't perform spectacularly in my games. I used a slightly different paint scheme last year. I did a wash with blue Vallejo Game Ink after the base coat and slowly layered up to cover the blue. I thought the blue lines would provide a stark contrast to the orange armour and it looks really good, but the process was soooo tedious that when I painted the beyond set I used sepia to wash the armour plates instead (I kept the blue for the chainmail parts). Vallejo blue ink was also tricky as it was very intense and I had to thin it down quite a bit.
    200413_170337_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    Hsien - probably my favourite model of the set. This guy is a beast! I had no idea which way the spikes were supposed to go and was too lazy to look it up. He was also the first model that I tried to use Vallejo matt varnish. Much to my annoyance it made the coat glossy and only after looking through the forum did I learn I was suppose to thin it down. Should have tested on a Zhanshi first!
    200413_170436_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    Ok, serious question for you experienced players. I've got the Ruishi/Luduan box now. Would there be any reason to still include Hsien in my list considering I can take both remotes for less than his price?

#8 Law Dawg, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Oni, redeemer, LeeroyVinland and 5 others like this.
  9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Love the colors man. I'm not a fan of skin tones either. I always seem to get it wrong. I also gave up on eyes. But some of that is that i think seeing white eyes on something that small looks wrong. But probably more because i'm lazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

#9 Space Ranger, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  10. Law Dawg

A trick I learned is to paint the eyes black, then apply tiny dots of white in the corners of the eyes using a fine brush. It worked for my Zhanshis.

Golem2God and Chaserabinov like this.
  11. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Ah a fellow Red Veil painter. Good job!

Law Dawg likes this.
  12. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Unfortunately nowadays even with a magnifier it's harder for me.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation