1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archangeleong's Army Log: Yu Jing

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by archangeleong, Feb 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

[​IMG]

Yu Jing Invincible army - Starter Pack

So the die is cast. Yu Jing Invincibles are one of my planned projects for the first half 2020 (The 2nd half will be devoted to Defiance). This year I want to do some mini army projects, dabbling in some different factions so that I can work on different colour sets as well as paint up some of my favourite minis from the Infinity range. That said I don't plan on deviating too far from the canon faction colours as I want to have a go at all of the Infinity factions some day and like the fact that they all have their own colours to help them stand apart on the tabletop.

I was keen to paint a yellow army for the first time above all else so I began with the Invincible Starter Army Pack in January. For my own spin on this iconic army I dropped the green and went with grey and blue to complement the yellow better. Enjoying the project so far and I'm not forcing myself to go to hard into collecting the whole army, but just getting key units I like and working on them at my leisure.

I post these pics in the miniature section of the forum also with my other stuff, but I like to record my faction projects in the faction section too to share with like minded players and collectors. Helps me learn from the experts :-)

pedrogzc, LeGweg, Splod and 14 others like this.
  2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

The Haidao scheme you've got going is sick.

Space Ranger and Stuffist like this.
  3. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I agree. The bluish grey and yellow work really well together.

Space Ranger likes this.
  4. archangeleong

Thanks guys. I will try to post more pics when I get a chance.

Space Ranger likes this.
  5. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Followed :) I'm eager at what will come this year.
    I'm also nearly done with my YuJing Red Veil Set :)

archangeleong likes this.
  6. archangeleong

thanks. Good luck with red veil. Hope to see em here some time

7. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Look at that beautiful Liu Xing. Man I wish they were ARM 4 W 2 to match their delicious chonkyness.

8. archangeleong

Yep, me too, they are super chonky!

the huanglong likes this.
  9. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Zuyong Invincibles
    [​IMG]

Zuyong Invincibles
    So these guys are the link team that is the backbone of the Invincible Army. I wanted them to be yellow like the poster boys on the artworks and boxes. So the question was how could I make them a bit different to the studio collection? After looking at yellow sci fi armours on the web, in the end I went with the Giraldez yellow palette but limited the other colours to black and glowing blue (There is a bit of white only on their shoulder emblems). They kinda remind me of Transformer's Bumblebee crossed with Kill Bill's the Bride and I have to say I'm rather fond of this callback, given I'm a bit of a movie and toy buff. Anyway's its cool to have a totally power armored army to work on in Infinity.

Multi Rifle
    [​IMG]
    This guy was the test model for the whole army, taken from the Red Veil Box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boarding Shotgun
    [​IMG]

This lil' lady was the first I painted in the army set but long after I did the test model, so it took me while to remember what I did the first time. Why the flat nose instead of pointy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Missile Launcher
    [​IMG]

This chonky guy was satisfying to do as I felt like I had got my groove on painting the Yu Jing yellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combi Rifle
    [​IMG]

Last one in the team I did I was able to do by the numbers as I felt like I finally had good command of doing yellow. It's not as hard as you think. I still did a black undercoat like I usually do, I just made sure to paint brown as a base colour over the armour panels first before applying the yellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One day I'll add the HMG to the team...

#9 archangeleong, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    LeGweg, Splod, Asreon_ and 9 others like this.
  10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Now i think you are trying to make me jealous! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fantastic work man. Love them!

archangeleong likes this.
  11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

No painter's notebook?

12. archangeleong

I’m not that organized. I just note the colours I used, but it takes a while to get the feel of what I’m doing. Usually it takes about 3 minis for me to commit painting a color to muscle memory and then I don’t forget again.

13. archangeleong

INFINITY YU JING INVINCIBLE ARMY: Daoying (Multi Sniper Rifle)
    [​IMG]

Daoying Operative Control Unit (Multi Sniper Rifle)
    I painted this little boss lady with the studio pattern in mind, but I wanted it to differ so I used white instead of yellow for the body armour as well as blue grey on the skirt to tie it in with the other guys in this army. I was happy the way the white turned out as I experimented using yellow and brown tones to shade it so I could keep it warm and tie it in with the yellow of the rest of the army. It's a pity the gun mostly obscures the armour, but the on the hacker version it will be easier to see what I was aiming at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#13 archangeleong, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    LeGweg, Asreon_, Chaserabinov and 9 others like this.
  14. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

Holy shit dude!
    This is awesome, you did a super job!

I am no a painter myself, but you almost motivated me to get my brushes back in hand just to confirm that I'm not even close to this kind of result before throwing everything through the window. :O

Tibooper likes this.
  15. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

I typically like the interpretion of camo being a grey dull tone, and revealing its wearer by blue distinctive colors. I really look forward your mowang!!

Stuffist and Janzerker like this.
  16. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Fantastic work! I especially love the paint scheme on the Daoying and the crisp stripes on all the models

17. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

That statement left me wondering… Do you intend to play the army or it's just for exposition? because the Zuyong HMG it's not only the easiest Zuyong miniature to get your hands on but also the workhorse of Invincible. In other words, you want it sooner than later.

You just expressed what's right now on everyone's mind, mate. Mowang is the sexiest thing Infinity has seen in a while; and yours is double sexier ;)

18. Paegis

Paegis Vincible Officer

Aughhh, the white on your Daoying is so nice. May I ask for some more details on how you got that warm tone? What type of white did you use as a base?

19. archangeleong

Thanks! Good luck, remember any paint is better than none!

Mowang is coming up soon. He will be the penultimate mini in my first batch of Yu Jing.

Thanks. I take much inspiration from the Infinity dossiers, mostly found on Human Sphere wiki (pity no one is updating it an it is locked to the public)

I know the HMG is a good profile so I want to get him, he's just not in the current queue. I always intend to paint playable armies, but I'm more of a painter these days as I have very little time or opportunity to play due to married life.

I'm keen to play this army fully power armoured but I'm lacking in cheap order troops like Zanshi and various drones, which are models that I don't have much motivation to paint for this army at the moment. Is it viable to just play power armour troops?

Mowang is in the queue at the moment and will be the last of this first batch of my army. He is so cool.

I use vallejo paints: White as a highlight, Ivory as a base, Ice yellow as a mid tone and burnt umber to shade. I mix and blend all colours for the final result (esp the burnt umber, which requires significant mixing with the lighter colours to be used in this colour scheme)

Paegis likes this.
  20. Chaserabinov

Chaserabinov Well-Known Member

Great job in the Daoying :). And what cookies did You use for the blue parts of the armor?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation