1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Varuna Immediate Reaction Division: A Tactica

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by barakiel, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Titus

Titus Varuna Beach Commando

Hi. Something like this is the all terrain VIRD list I use. I hope it´s useful:

All Terrain VIRD
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    KAMAU (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)
    FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    PATSY GARNETT Submachine Gun, Nimbus Plus Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    MACHINIST (Varuna Div.) (CH: Mimetism, Stealth, Aquatic Terrain) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17)
    KAMAU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 28)
    ZULU-COBRA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    ZULU-COBRA Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3 [​IMG]3
    ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    TRAUMA-DOC Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    FUGAZI DRONBOT Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Red Fury / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 14)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

barakiel and Bri77le like this.
  2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

The most common configuration is:

Group 1
    Kamau MSV2 + 4 (or more) Fusiliers

Group 2
    2 Fugazi
    Trauma Doc w/ Palbot
    Helots

It's a really great building block. It's basically the cornerstone of the Sectorial. Everything else that you add (primarily more Snake Eaters: Zulu Cobra, Kamau HMG, maybe a Croc, maybe Echo Bravo, maybe Patsy/ORC, maybe combat REMs) basically just lets you do the mission. The only common exception to this configuration are TAG lists.

Titus likes this.
  3. Phillimon

Phillimon Kazak Diplomatic Operative

Ive been working on a list for Show of Force for a local tournament.

So hopefully I did this right, on my phone.

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division──────────────────────────────────────────────────[​IMG]10 FUSILIER (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12) FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10) FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10) FUSILIER Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 15) KAMAU (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32) CUTTER MULTI HMG / . (2.5 | 115) [​IMG] CRABBOT Flash Pulse / Knife. () ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29) ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29) ZULU-COBRA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28) MACHINIST (Varuna Div.) (CH: Mimetism, Stealth, Aquatic Terrain) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17) PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3) 5.5 SWC | 300 PointsOpen in Infinity Army

I went with the Cutter over the Squalo. I think the TO will better since Im advancing forward, so having the ability to enter marker state will be valuable.

The core fire team is a Kamau sniper plus 4 fusi. Its pretty standard VIRD core, so no big surprises there.

Also put a mech plus palbot, to help with keeping the cutter alive. Also makes a decent light combatant, BS 12 with mimistim does work late game.

Last three are my Zulu Cobras. Fairly standard loadouts.

Alright, now for some questions.

Should I be more aggressive and make a Zulu Cobra a LT? That way I dont waste the LT order.

Should I drop the fusi FO to a standard one, and use the points to change the ZC KHD to a ZC Jammer? Would that be a better defense or do I need to have a way to kill enemy hackers via inforwar.

Any input and advice would be appreciated.

#203 Phillimon, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  4. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'd make one of the Jammer Zulus LT, as they are much more defensible and can use the LT order on re-camoing.

If you want to be aggressive, make the Cutter the LT and go in like the US Marshals.

I find the Fusilier LT to be the worst option, as he is the easiest to take out and your opponent will likely prioritise taking out your Fireteam anyway, to pull the Kamau's teeth.

Titus and Phillimon like this.
  5. Phillimon

Phillimon Kazak Diplomatic Operative

Yeah its what I'm going to do. I didnt want to make the Cutter the LT so I can Hidden Deploy it.

Knauf likes this.
  6. mauriciorjbr

mauriciorjbr Well-Known Member
    Warcor

on group 1, Patsy wont be able to form the harris with the machinist and kamau hmg, right? After the nerf, I've dropped her, added another Kamau and sometimes the EB lrl.

7. Titus

Titus Varuna Beach Commando

Wait, why is that?

I've been always using the Patsy + Kamau HMG + Machinist Haris. Is there a nerf that prevents this? As I see it now this is considered a Kamau Haris. Patsy is wildcard and brings the haris so she should be able to join any fireteam with no problems, the Kamau being a Kamau is ok, and the Machinist can join any Kamau fireteam, is this right?

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The Haris and Duo trooper defines the type of Haris or Duo.

Patsy is an ORC not a Kamau so she forms ORC Haris' and Duos. A Machinist can't join an ORC Hari.

mauriciorjbr and Titus like this.
  9. Makoy

Makoy Miniature Painter

I updated the list of @Tongfa a bit. Traded the doc & 2 helots for a KHD ZC

Cutter + Patsy - NoDoc

[​IMG]10
    FUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    CUTTER MULTI HMG / . (2.5 | 115)
    [​IMG] CRABBOT Flash Pulse / Knife. ()
    PATSY GARNETT Submachine Gun, Nimbus Plus Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    ZULU-COBRA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 28)
    ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    MACHINIST Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)

4 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

#209 Makoy, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  10. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Alright gents, im stuck and would love to hear other's thoughts. I have an upcoming tournament, Tactical window, this list is for Firefight/Acquisition

firefifght/acquisition

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    QUINN Shock Marksman Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
    FUSILIER Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    ZULU-COBRA Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 28)
    ZULU-COBRA (Forward Observer) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 26)
    ZULU-COBRA Lieutenant (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2 [​IMG]2
    ECHO-BRAVO Red Fury / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 25)

6 SWC | 271 Points

Open in Infinity Army

one space left and not much to buy. I can get a croc-man, but I feel as though I don't have enough orders turn 1. I can get another Echo bravo, same issue. I can get a kamau, I guess. I can also get a peacekeeper or bulletteer, which I feel as though don't offer much. I'd really kind of like to squeeze an ORC BSG in there, for the datatracker/turn 3 OBJ rush.

eh, I don't know. How do you guys run Varuna in TW?

11. Makoy

Makoy Miniature Painter

You could fit a ZC shock marksman with xvisor. With CH:Camo and a +3 boost to your BS rolls on all range bands, it's a great aggressive peace imo. Which is kinda what you want for firefight.

Or you could run 1 extra helot and a flash pulse warcor in group 2. And use a coordinated order to reposition them together with the warcor, three rockets and flash pulse are definitely worth the 30 points if you ask me. I find that helots are especially good if you can dig in and make the opponent spend orders to get into the line of fire of helots, and then spend orders to reveal them.

#211 Makoy, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  12. MikeTheScrivener

not exactly how an X-visor works, but that profile is alright. regardless though, im maxed on Zulu-cobra so another one is out of the question (though I would love if they were Ava 4.)

Tactical window means 15 combat group spots. if it wasnt TW I would be running 2 Fugazi 3 helots. but alas.

Makoy likes this.
  13. Makoy

Makoy Miniature Painter

@MikeTheScrivener Hehe, thanks for pointing that out! If it wasn't for TW, I'd run something like this for Acquisition. I would use the ZC Lt. Jammer together with ZC KHD & the Fugazi, to let the Zulu Cobras sit in my deployment and send out the remotes to drop the sniffers, using the command order on the Lt.

VIRD Acquisition

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]8 [​IMG]1
    FUSILIER (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    FUSILIER Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 14)
    KNIGHT OF MONTESA Paramedic (MediKit) Boarding Shotgun, Chain-colt / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 39)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]5 [​IMG]4
    CROC MAN (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 32)
    ZULU-COBRA Lieutenant (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    WARCOR (360º Visor) Flash Pulse / Stun Pistol, Knife. (0 | 3)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

#213 Makoy, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Hmm.

@MikeTheScrivener
    If you're playing Acquisition, I think you want a HI, to at least make your opponent have to work kind of hard to get you off the midpoint. The button pushing component of that mission is significant too. It's a tricky one in general, since I never like my odds in it when forced to go first, but having some ORC armor in there somewhere will help. In general with Tac Window, I tend to scale back in my irregular troops. Often I'll collapse my Helot LRLs into one Helot Red Fury. It's quite a good surprise in this setting.

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  15. MikeTheScrivener

I really like the idea of an ORC BSG in acquisition. makes a really good turn 3 play. Kind of unsure about building for Tac Window, the only reason im heavily considering Varuna is because mission 3 is biotechvore.

16. Crusader

Crusader Well-Known Member

Greetings!

I've read through the last 2 pages but haven't found a clue (and forgive me but I'm too lazy to read through all 11 pages), so I ask the community about it: what makes the Kamau sniper in a link such a big thing, feared throughout the forum? I mean a HMG variant seems to me far more terrifying in the Fusi link or even an ORC HMG then the Sniper. I don't see the magic synergy with that specific loadout :(

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  17. Lameth

Lameth New Member

Think of the link bonus in ARO for such a build and you ll have an hint of what makes it great.

18. Crusader

Crusader Well-Known Member

Aaaah so use the whole link as a defensive / ARO while you use something else for offensive pourposes (like a patsy-ORCharis :P ). I was tunnel visioned into the "fire team core must be the powerhouse of a list" mindset.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  19. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Basically, the deal is that you get a link potentially as cheap as this:

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division

[​IMG]5

1.5 SWC | 72 Points

Open in Infinity Army

And it has one big spooky sniper dude stare down a lane.

The spookiness comes from the fact it's a reactive sniper ( Can't outrange it outside of maybe some crazy cross-table Triangulated Firing. ) that shoots at burst 2, shoots with BS13 with an innate +3BS from the link, can see clean through smokes and camos ( Meaning you can't simply walk past it's lane without Eclipse or Albedo. ), has an in-built Mimestism ( So shooting at it becomes even trickier. ) AND due to having SSL2 from the link, you can't impose surprise shot mods on it either.

Plus it generates five safe orders for cheaps to boot.

It basically forces the opponent to look at a lane and decide if they want to abandon it outright, due to not wanting to deal with the Kamau Sniper, take a usually very unfavorable gunfight with it or hope they had the foresight to bring things that can safely walk across that lane without stoking the mad snipers ire. ( Personally, I'm more a fan of the ''kill the ARO'' approach over the ''avoid the ARO.'' Me too small-brained to do tactics. Me take HMG on big dude with power armor and smash tiny dude with a long gun. )

TL;DR Table control. Table control is the reason why it's so good.

Which is understandable IMO, I've been having great luck with just solo snipers perched up in good spot with far inferior stats to the Kamau one. If those can work that well, imagine what a Kamau in a link can do.

Plus you can still reform the fireteam later if the Kamau dies/served his purpose into an offensive firehouse due to VIRDs flexible-ish links.

CabalTrainee and Crusader like this.
  20. Goorie

Goorie Well-Known Member

You actually have both. You use your core on reactive to make them waste as much orders as possible. Then reform it with the kamau HMG and run across the field shooting everything down with the kamau and pushing buttons with the fusiliers. You can actually dump a LGL into the core to make nasty plays.

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division

[​IMG]6
    FUSILIER Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 14)
    FUSILIER (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)

3.5 SWC | 106 Points

Open in Infinity Army

AdmiralJCJF and Crusader like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation