1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color palette C&C

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by vorthain, Feb 15, 2020.

1. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I conceived of my scheme years ago, but I feel like it has been lacking lately. Maybe because it is lacking a complimentary color? I wanted to walk a line between popping detail and having a more grounded palette. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Be brutally honest!

https://imgur.com/YJyG3C1

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 vorthain, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

looks pretty neat dude, some nice contrast and pretty stark highlights.

I'd try and get some higher contrast or blends in the gray/black cloth

vorthain likes this.
  3. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I feel like the yellow lights get lost in both the red and tan colors.

chromedog likes this.
  4. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I think if you're going for a cell-shaded look, you've nailed it. That's not meant to be a criticism, but a style comment. I feel like the black shading on the cloth is a bit too artificial looking.
    I think a light blue(GW's Aethermatic Blue contrast springs to mind, immediately) would work quite well for the lights by the by.

That's my feedback. Hopefully it helps. They look like care has been put into them, so you keep doing you either way.

Jumara, redeemer, Koin-Koin and 9 others like this.
  5. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I wouldn't say I am going for that or want it. By the cloth, you're referring to the grey pants or tan vests/tops?

6. kanluwen

Honestly? It's all over the model. It's most noticeable on the cloth bits(pants and sleeves) and the boots.

Again: please note that I'm not saying they look bad. It's a good look if that's what you'd been trying for.

vorthain likes this.
  7. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

I really like it! :)

I quite like the red/bone/black combination – the only thing I would perhaps try to change are the yellow lights which could contrast more with the bone color.

I first thought maybe orange, as that really pops from the surrounding bone color (at least on my naffatuns, see below), but then you'd have issues on the red, since orange and red clashes. A light blue would also contrast nicely, but again not sure on the red. I think I'd try making the lights on bone orange and either leave the lights yellow in the red context or try a contrast-y light color such as light blue. Again, great and bold color scheme! :ok_hand:

Some ideas for the lights (did not have much time to cleanly shift the colors):

DSC_0298 small.png

Screenshot 2020-02-15 11.58.10 half.png

Screenshot 2020-02-15 11.57.33 half.png

redeemer, vorthain, Wizzy and 3 others like this.
  8. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

Wow, thanks @Florian Hanke ! Your Naffatun look good. I wanted a little departure from the official scheme but the green is nice. I agree that there are color issues on bone and red, so I was thinking of dropping one of those. Another alternative was putting lights on dark color (pants grey or gun black). I also experimented with greenish squad markings. Specifically:

- green squad marking on ghulam
    - dark tone wash on ghulam pants (at @kanluwen suggestion)
    - coal black mask and comlog console
    - red mask on Nasmat

More advice and comments appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/aOgdH1x
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#8 vorthain, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Jumara, redeemer, Koin-Koin and 6 others like this.
  9. kanluwen

Looks like night and day, keep up the work!

vorthain likes this.
  10. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

I think your guys look really good. Don’t change the main colours. Maybe just do the lights in green rather than yellow as this will contrast better (at the moment the yellow is blending in with the bone).

vorthain likes this.
  11. Florian Hanke

Florian Hanke Does not know how to stop building terrain.

These are great ideas! I especially like the black mask on the naffatun because of the contrast with the lights and I have to also add squad markings on my Haqq. Perhaps switching the upper breastplate (with the yellow lights) also to coal black to intensify the contrast with the yellow lights is the way to go. Just the one plate, since it'd then also contrast nicely with the red parts. But that's just me searching for details – personally I'd be extremely happy to have these on a battlefield, looking as they do!

12. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

Good ideas and feedback. Now I am thinking of something like mostly VMC Buff and Basalt Grey neutrals with Burnt Red into Carmine, then P3 Coal Black (or dark dark grey) with maybe P3 Necrotite Green lights? I am thinking of leaving visors (eg, Fasid, Hassassins) the yellowish tone.

So something like the Varuna scheme, with red and green instead of blue and red.

#12 vorthain, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

20200220_065903.jpg Slapped some dark grey blue on the Fasid's chest around the lights but I'm not sure about it. Maybe make it a stripe, or add more of that color over all?

#13 vorthain, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Xeurian, redeemer, swissmade and 6 others like this.
  14. Numazokola

Numazokola Well-Known Member

Just add some free hand on the panels it's looking awesome

vorthain likes this.
  15. kanluwen

If you're happy with it, you've got it nailed down.

As trite as that might sound, it looks really solid now. I realize now some of the 'cell shading' effect is that it seems you're going for NMM and that's what is causing it--and as I said, if you're happy with it?

You've got it nailed down.

PS:
    I hope my comments have been remotely useful. I've decided to try to focus on doing stuff like this, rather than just being Grumpy Gus all the time. But don't tell anyone. This is the painting and modeling thread secrets!

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  16. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I'm definitely not going for that cell shading aesthetic. Your comments have been useful for sure. I'm in analysis paralysis right now. Now I'm wondering if red and green will be too christmasy.

Numazokola likes this.
  17. kanluwen

It would depend on the green. If you go for something like a military green, you should be fine.

Check out "Death Korps Drab" from GW's paint range. It is a new base paint added when Contrast dropped. It's kinda like a green-grey? I think it could be good for what you want to have green.

18. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I was thinking more along the lines of green optics/lights (instead of yellow) and a green for small accents.

chromedog likes this.
  19. kanluwen

I mentioned "Warp Lightning" contrast earlier I think--and I'll reiterate it if I did! :P It's a very vibrant green for optics and the like, when applied over a white or the Grey Seer(white-grey) that they have.

I'd do a blue or grey for the small accents if you're going for green lights.

20. vorthain

vorthain Veteran Novice

I picked up some VGC Scorpion Green and like some the preliminary results. I'll try to post something more completed before long. I'll think about grey-blue accents too. With tan and red armor, grey cloth, and green lights, I don't want to introduce something else too attention grabbing since I don't want too many colors, but I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation