1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's play a game: portable CJC

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by inane.imp, Feb 12, 2020.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

So, I'm going to be travelling a lot this year and I'm wanting to sink my teeth into the new options CJC has gotten over the last 12 months.

I have a single Knights of Dice Strike Case, with the widget insert. Foam looks like this:

[​IMG]

This means I have (width x height x depth):

30 x 25x50x25mm slots (enough for 1 regular S2 or two Koalas sized S1s)
    2x 40x60x60mm
    3x 45x60x60mm
    1x 75x60x60mm

Assume I own all available CJC minies, or suitable proxies in the event I don't. Pretty much any Nomad or StarCo model is available as a proxy.

What models should I take?

The objective is to maximise competitive list flexibility for the available space.

You can, within reason, double stack minies that will fit:

2 x Koalas in an S2 slot, but only one Zondcats.
    2 x S3 REMs will happily fit in the 75x60mm slot but not 2 x S4.

I'm happy to proxy, but it must be with a non-CJC model (so I run a converted Locust - Spektr BSG + Spektr Knife double arm swap - as an Al Hawwa in StarCo or my second Moran, it could do double duty as a second Bandit in this context... But the result is that I couldn't run 2 x Morans and 2 x Bandits).

(Don't forget a HVT. Hint though: the Freelance Stringer is only S1 high).

#1 inane.imp, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    RobertShepherd likes this.
  2. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Let's get the obvious out of the way, Lupe, dak and jazz+Billie all take slots.
    Moran and koalas take another two.
    Might as well fill a pair of the big slots with geckos

#2 csjarrat, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Savnock and inane.imp like this.
  3. inane.imp

Freelance Stringer + Nomad Tinbot will fit in a slot and give you the HVT and Billie.

So really we're at 24 x S2 slots for 'taste'.

4. csjarrat

4 alguaciles, 4 mb, 4 jags takes half of that then. Add massacre, dak, Lupe, jazz to get to 20, Moran and bots gets to 22, tomcat, hellcat and you're done

5. inane.imp

You're counting Dak, Lupe, Jazz, Moran and Koalas twice. (30 total - those 5, Billie and HVT = 24). So you've got 5 slots left.

You've also still got the larger slots as well.

What Alg and MB profiles?

6. csjarrat

Mix of rifles for filler and some big guns for both squads. If you've got 5 free slam the wildcats in for completion, big slots can take REMs, tsyklon taking priority. Can get two geckos in as well by looks

7. inane.imp

No Intruders or Mcmurder?

8. csjarrat

Mcmurder can take one of the big slots, intruder could take a wildcat's slot.

9. inane.imp

This was my solution:

McMurder
    2 x Tsyklons
    EVO
    3 x S3 REMs

Lupe
    Jazz
    Dak
    Moran
    2 x Koalas
    Billie + HVT
    2 x Zondbots
    Clockmaker
    Bandit KHD
    WarCor
    Massacre
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Combi Alg
    Combi Alg
    LGL Alg
    Tomcat
    Zondcat
    Hellcat Spitfire
    Intruder HMG
    Intruder Lt
    Intruder MSR
    MB HMG
    MB MR+LFT
    MB BSG
    MB ML
    Al Hawwa Proxy

So overall very similar. I drop any real guns off the Algs so lose a proper Alg Core as an option, and also miss out on Wildcats. But open up Jag Core + Haris, and get maximum Lt options to cover off on missions like Hunting Party and Decap.

I also miss out on any TAGs. Realistically I'd need to drop 2 x S3 REMS fit one.

Savnock likes this.
  10. Freki

Freki Well-Known Member

Only one bandit?
    One HVT as well? Counter measure is very popular where I am

What school are you more into? 2 strike groupes of 8 orders each or main group + support?

Edit: Kowalski? Ah ah ah ah ah

11. inane.imp

I tend to Main + Support.

Al Hawwa Proxy is basically there as a second Bandit or second Moran. He's this guy:
    [​IMG]

I could probably put him in as a Hellcat BSG as well but if I'm running 2 AD then Hellcat + Tomcat is more likely, or at least not restrictive. So I don't feel bad not having 2 Hellcat options.

I've run Carlotta a few times. I'm a huge fan of her for Hunting Party: being able to bring her and Moriarty T3 to push buttons / unglue friendly / glue hostiles is great. But yeah, she was never really making it in. I'm really hoping she gets a buff in N4 (removing some bloat and adding Free Agent is probably the route I'd take).

Wildcats are the ones that make me go 'could I fit these?', but what would I drop for even a Haris?

Savnock likes this.
  12. Freki

Freki Well-Known Member

I would drop one Jag, and find a portable Panzerfaust to place on the base on an adhoc basis if you want to indicate the carrier.
    The MB MR as well. How often will you not wildcard 2 or 3 models in a MB core?

Savnock likes this.
  13. inane.imp

That also loses me the '8 Jag' list. That's why it's in there, not for the Panzerfaust.

I'm a fan of the MR+LFT Lt in a lot of situations where you want to run a robust Lt. But yeah, I can lose that and probably one of the Intruders (Lt or MSR?)

That gives me room for 2 Wildcats (3 with proxy). What do I do with that?

14. inane.imp

This is what they look like, drying from being based before they get packed away for travel.

I'm still tending to 'no Wildcats' and 5 Jags / 3 MB / 3 Intruders. But after Freki's comments I can see that I'd be able to fit them in and open up a couple of more options. [​IMG]

Alguaciles_Ortega likes this.
  15. Freki

Freki Well-Known Member

Meh, save your wildcats for N4, they should be more viable then.
    CJC is plenty flexible already. Good stuff with your army. Which part of the world are they going to see action in?

Savnock and inane.imp like this.
  16. inane.imp

Asia / Oceania

17. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Good choices, nice travel kit! Please post your thoughts on the games and scenes that you find out there in Asia, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how Infinity is played over there.

I travel with a Battlefoam Alpha case. Trying to get down to half that amount even (about half of what you have here) to just carry a Limited Insertion list plus a model or two to switch out for variant lists.

Waitasec, what list is that? They're AVA5, then Massacre for 6-ish I guess... but how do you get 8 Jags or something like it?

inane.imp likes this.
  18. inane.imp

CJC has 3 Wildcards. You don't need Massacre in the Core if you replace him with a Wildcard, so you can run this as the core of a list:

8 Jags──────────────────────────────────────────────────[​IMG]8 JAGUAR Adhesive Launcher, Panzerfaust / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 13) JAGUAR Adhesive Launcher, Panzerfaust / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 13) JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10) JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10) DAKTARI Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14) JAGUAR Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 10) LUPE BALBOA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Panzerfaust, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 23) SEÑOR MASSACRE (Fireteam: Haris) Boarding Shotgun, E/M Grenades, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW, E/M CCW. (0.5 | 27) 1.5 SWC | 120 PointsOpen in Infinity Army

Usually I add 2 Intruders, 2 Algs (including LT), Moran and Bandit. This leaves 28pts for AD or another SK.

I play it less often then I'd like to.

Re: the Asian scene. There's a few guys who play out of Singapore and a decent scene in Tokyo. It's usually difficult to find games in less cosmopolitan cities though.

Edit: Re: Size. I find that 30 models is basically the minimum I'd happily travel with. That's leaving the REMs and McMurder at home. I did that last year with basically just Wildcats and Jags based lists (before CJC's update). It allows my tokens to fit in the KoD Case as well as the models. But no way was I leaving Tsyklons at home this time.

#18 inane.imp, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation