1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arctic Tohaa

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Manfred_VR, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Manfred_VR

Manfred_VR Well-Known Member

This is my first painting project for infinity, I want to paint my tohaa with this colour scheme :

[​IMG]

But with arctic bases, here’s my first 2 :

[​IMG]

Opinions ?

2. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

That you got a fine scheme here.
    I think you may be sure that your artic bases are quite blue to break the white and contrast with the white on the model. but I'm no good at color theory so be sure to read others' advice :innocent:

3. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

Please, show us more pics when your paint your army, you choose a very polite scheme!

4. Berjiz

Berjiz Well-Known Member

For icy/artic bases I found a great guide a few years ago. It works really well and gives a nice frozen ice look. Just make sure to use the crackle paint specified in the guided. I tried others first and had problems.
    https://www.warseer.com/forums/show...e-Polar-explorer-rhulics-on-glacial-ice-bases

EDIT: Apprently I have missplaced the link to the guide but you can see some pictures of someones finished bases above. Here is a short guide as I rememberer it:
    The really important part is the crackle paint. It's distress crackle paint clear rock candy. Normal crackle paints might not be able to crack properly when used in thick layers which is needed for this to work.
    1. Optional, put some crackle paint on a flat surface to create pieces of "ice" that you then use later to create pieces of ice sticking out over the edge of the base
    2. Use hollow bases(like the ones by secret weapon) or make hollow bases by cutting out the middle part.
    3. Paint the bottom of the base blue
    4. Put some small amounts of blue glitter in the base of the bottom
    5. Fill up with fake water. The amount depends on the base and what you use for the water. After drying you want some room left to make the ice itself. This part is mostly to fill out the base a bit, make sure the glitter stays and add some depth.
    6. Fill up the base with the clear crackle paint and stick in the pieces made in step 1
    7. Sometimes the crackled pieces come loose after drying. I either used some small amounts of glue for it or you can also add some small amounts of fake water in the cracks to make them stay still.
    8. Drybrush with white, and maybe highlight some edges with white
    You can also use some blue or green wash before the drybrushing.

A finished base looks something like this. The point bits sticking out were made in step 1.

[​IMG]

#4 Berjiz, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Thandar, Oni, wendigo and 6 others like this.
  5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Looked it up, interesting:

I hadn't heard of this before, it does look absolutely perfect for ice effects because of the clear look, and a quick look says it's not even hard to find, and though it's more expensive even than the Citadel stuff per volume, i'd say it's specialized enough to be worth it. I'm not interested in doing ice effects at the moment, but will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

melkiach and Koin-Koin like this.
  6. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Citadel Tech are 24 ml for 7.80 USD currently, Tim 118 ml for 7.99. I guess it depends which importer, because at the source it is not. There are few cases worse than Citadel (Tamiya with the 10 ml pots where the thick glass could be more money than the paint? lost track of those but it was rather silly years ago).

jherazob likes this.
  7. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Ah, it's 4oz, not 4ml, my mistake, that's nice!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation