1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human Sphere - Aresteia Timelines

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by inane.imp, Dec 26, 2019.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

I'm curious (not particularly important but will be a little helpful for some background info), what year is the present season of AGL! set? It seems to me that CB has kept it deliberately ambiguous.

Regen / anti-aging and rebirth makes it hard to tell.

But given it's likely Massacre is still in his original body, he's got to be at least in his mid to late 40s by now if it's NC 67+ (based on the fact he served during the Neo-colonial Conflicts in NC 42). Which would also work for Hannibal (he enlisted just in time for Neo-colonial Conflicts, so you can assume 20+/- 2yrs in NC42).

Have I missed any definitive clue? Or just pick a date that works for me and assume that the relevant characters are fighting?

2. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

I don't think there's an official timeline for Aresteia (that I've seen at least). However, with the likes of advanced medicine and Lhosts these players are probably in the game for a very long time. So, yeah, Massacre might be in his OG body but he's had extensive work done to it since his time in the Nomad military and in the Aresteia arena.

inane.imp likes this.
  3. Ashen_Seeker

Ashen_Seeker Well-Known Member

If I remeber correctly Bostria said, in one video on OnTableTop, that Aristeia is set 4 years before the actual events of Infinity

Don't ask me which video it was because there are too many of them and I saw it this summer....

4. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's something like 2-5 years before the events of Campaign: Paradiso (which is now itself at least a year or two behind "current" events).
    Because, IIRC, the AGL season that the game is set in is canonically the first that Bill wins, unseating Musashi as Bahadur (with him then maintaining that streak in unbroken back-to-back seasons until the current date).

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  5. Ashen_Seeker

@inane.imp btw I also had a problem in giving my Infinity miniatures a coherent, in universe, background story

I didn't manage to find anything in the Aristeia! nor in the Infinity website, though I have find the quick start rules and preview booklet about the two games: it has written 177 years and 175 years into the future for, respectively, Infinity and Aristeia! even though, after having checked the 1st Inifity edition rulebook, it was wirtten that the universe was also set 175y(1st Paradiso offensive?).

Also, from the RPG core rulebook, it is written that the 1st Paradiso's offensive happened in the 60NC while the 3rd offensive, which lasted for some months (and is still going...?) in 67NC, so.....

I really don't know. It is quite a mess to be honest, since CB has never put out a detailed chronology(or none that I am awere of..)

If something is wrong, please do tell me

6. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

I believe the choice to keep it ambiguous is deliberate. I think I remember seeing a timeline where they gave both NC and gregorian dates (up to a point) and so you could work out exactly when things happened, but I have no idea where to find it now. Maybe in the 2nd ed HS book?

Either way, we know the game is set in our mid-to-late 2180's, early-2190's. So solidly end of 22nd century. Beyond that, exact years probably aren't too important.

7. inane.imp

Yeah, I was just trying to get a grasp of what Aristos would be fighting in NC67 to provide some background to a comment.

So entirely in fiction but relatively unimportant.

Golem2God likes this.
  8. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

The RPG corebook has a whole chronology of big events from the NeoColonial Wars up to the 2nd Offensive (3rd Offensive was written after the RPG corebook was done) using the new calendar dates. From a writing perspective this vagueness is a good thing as you'll happily fill in the blanks, don't care, or get all OCD about it (cause some can't be helped). CAnon's dates are pretty close to where I see Infinity on the Gregorian calendar.

1st edition was set during 64NC during/after the second offensive. Human Sphere didn't move the timeline up. Campaign: Paradiso took place in 66NC. Third Offensive and Uprising have taken place in 67NC (as far as I remember).

Ah, look at you trying to be timeline correct for the PbP! I'm not that much of a stickler for timeline fluff correctness. Hell, with how long Aristos play the game you are probably going to be right 99% of the time.

Golem2God and inane.imp like this.
  9. inane.imp

I was mainly curious as casual searching didn't get a good answer.

10. Ashen_Seeker

@Solodice I didn't remeber that 1st edition was set during the 2nd Offensive, I thought it started during the 1st Offensive(I read it when I was curious about the game but not enough to memorise the hystory). Now it makes much more sense.

I concurr with both of you: as long as they(and we) play, it doesn't matter the precise date.
    I know that the vagueness it is a good literaly expedient, expecially in sci-fi, where there can be space for other stories.

It is more of a personal thing, related to the background we want to give them(especially for Infinity), but sometimes enough to nudge at the back of my head

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation