1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if CB made an infinity video game....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by dhellfox, Dec 8, 2019.

1. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

I’ve completely missed this this game. And it’s out on PS4! How does it compare to Xcom 2?

2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Tbh there were so many XCom clones as of late that it's not surprising you wouldn't notice every one of them. Prior to that I almost forgot the term "clone" was in use when it comes to VGs.

That's one of the reason I think Infinity VG should not be one. It will be lost in a crowd.

3. Ashtaroth

Ashtaroth Aragoto GP Organizer
    Warcor

They're vastly different games, but in a nutshell the main difference to XCOM is that Phantom Doctrine has a Awareness bar that lets you dodge shots (meaning, a troop with high enough Awareness can dodge a point blank shotgun shot - this most likely will never happen, but solely looking at the system it can). So, against some targets you need to deplete their Awareness before attempting the kill, making it more grindy than XCOM.

Preparation and methodical approach are vastly rewarded instead of a guns blazing kicking the door one. The game also puts a strong emphasis on subterfuge and infiltration, in lower difficulties an infiltrated and disguised agent can one-man a entire mission.

Like in XCOM2 you start the missions infiltrated, deciding when to pull the trigger and start a firefight, but unlike XCOM2 you can complete them without sounding the alarm... it can be tedious, because some maps are BIG, but in harder difficulties it's a necessity.

The game has an annoying "forced retreat" state which are "air strikes"... compared them to XCOM2 relentless reinforcements drops at the end of the mission.

The game has good ideas but an average execution. I'd recommend a buy while discounted. Can't hurt.

AH! Fluff is Cold War espionage.

#23 Ashtaroth, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    bladerunner_35 and jherazob like this.
  4. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Great review. Thanks. Sounds cool but I’ll wait for a sale and keep my expectations in check.

One of the things I enjoy the most in Xcom is the soldiers and changing their appearance. How much can I do this?

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

So, it needs an Infinity reskin

Ashtaroth likes this.
  6. Ashtaroth

Warcor

You can customize their cosmetic appearance freely once you build the Forger facility. This comes really early in the game and along with another important research targets and unlocks, so you will get this. You can change clothes, hairdos, have stuff like hats, glasses, and such. The usual.

ALSO, sometimes your agents will get a lot of heat (get famous... very bad for a spy), so you'll need to change their name, nickname, portrait, and nationality, for this you'll have to use the Forge New Identity. So, not only you can customize, you also need to.

#26 Ashtaroth, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    bladerunner_35 likes this.
  7. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

Infinity Musou.

8. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Super-jump, climbing plus, kinematica, Hyper-dynamics, reaction orders = we need a bullet-hell / platformer.

Section9 and jherazob like this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be pretty cool, could probably raid the GuP Dream Tank Match game for some pieces.

Are you sure they'd actually get around to fixing things?

Yeah, but it wouldn't be hard to 'borrow' the skins from XCom2. And I think that the much bigger reliance on stealthing into a mission would be more reflective of actual (in-setting) Infinity missions, as opposed to what happens in Infinity the game. According to ninja rules of operation, shooting means you have failed!

csjarrat and jherazob like this.
  10. Lothlanathorian

Lothlanathorian Not a custom title

Just give me Chaos Gate, but with Infinity, the end. Or Fallout Tactics multiplayer, but Infinity skins.

11. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

is fallout tactics similar play style to the fo1/2 or wasteland 2/3 gameplay?

12. Barrogh

It's, well, fallout 1/2 but with like 95% less RP and more combat, basically. The only significant differences I can remember are controlling the team as opposed to single character and existence of crouching / prone states.

13. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

so like wasteland 2 combat

14. Barrogh

Maybe, I've just never gotten to trying Wasteland out.
    I guess I'm not that nostalgic about old-school RPGs.

15. Ashtaroth

Warcor

Epic ultramarines chant playing in the back.

Space Marine shouts dramatically: For the emperor, you will die by my hand!!!

Misses!
    Gets perma-dead next turn.

...yeah, this is actually pretty close to my Infinity experience (specially the shouting and dying) ;_;

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  16. Lothlanathorian

Tactics had you make a character that was "you", but you controlled a whole squad. You went on missions for the Brotherhood (you were in the Midwest and it is where the Brotherhood in FO 3/4 originate from). All of that isn't actually relevant because I am talking about the game's multiplayer.

You had a point-build system that took into account character levels, stats, and equipment. You picked a build total and put together a squad based on that and then you would play against another player and the squad they had assembled.

The game had standing, crouching, and prone, overwatch settings, and used the same AP system as FO 1/2 before it. I forget if multiplayer used CTB (continuous turn based) or igo/ugo, but, either way, with some minor alterations, it would work well as an Infinity video game.

Chaos Gate was very similar, but is the older game. It had AP, was turn based, had standing and crouching, had overwatch, etc.

I figured there'd be some here long in the fang who would know at least one of the two games. I am pretty sure you can still buy either game to play (and both were ridiculous fun, imho).

17. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

I am here, but not playing much video games anymore.
    You can grab W40k Chaosgate on GoG for 2,29€ (its 75% off) and Fallout Tactics for 2,69€ (70% off) at the time of this post.

Both were fun at the times when i played them, but i left Tactics Single Player when the Super Mutants appeared.

18. Lothlanathorian

I have replayed Tactics several times*. The game is very fun for the gameplay (don't give much of a crap about the story for that one). 10% of the story is considered canon by Bethesda**, though, so if you want to get ALL OF THE STORY, it is worth watching at least the opening cinematic.

*The only reason I haven't in the last few years is because I made the switch to Mac and the game was never ported from Windows, so I just haven't tried it.

**The East Coast BoS came from the Midwest BoS who came from the West Coast. They built airships, got downed by a big ol' storm around Illinois, did some conquesting in the area, built the Prydwen, and completed the trip east. And that's all that's actually taken from that game and incorporated into Bethesda Fallout's canon.

19. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Eroge in Bakunin
    Period.
    (Sorry, pun intended)

Dragonstriker and DrunkCorsair like this.
  20. SpectralOwl

If CB were making it?
    Joan of Arc dating simulator.
    Not just the one, maybe five or six slightly different Joans with a few extra as DLC.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation