1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting a new faction, to sectoral or not to sectoral.

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by OCEE78, Nov 13, 2019.

1. OCEE78

OCEE78 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, will be getting a new infinity force around Christmas, I have a JSA force which I will be finishing before then, but I have the infinity bug a the minute, and want a different flavour from JSA so I can jump between the two.

However, I have ran into a dilemma. Given I started with a sectoral army, and an NA2 one at that. I never had the benefit of being able to go Vanilla. Do you guys suggest I just go with a sectoral? Or go with something to build up a Vanilla list. I came to this issue as I am leaning between a few factions, but noticed that some Yu Jing stuff is vanilla only? The other Factions that caught my attention were Haqqislam, and TAC was the other, but I'm not a huge fan of Werewolves so feel I may have to pass on that one.

2. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Since you are already accustomed to fireteams I would say that it depends mostly on budget. A vanilla force is considerably more expensive to fill out for obvious reasons. You literally have to pay for all of those extra options ;).

Section9, OCEE78 and meikyoushisui like this.
  3. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'd suggest going for a Vanilla Faction to see the other side of the coin. Increased flexibility and more unit choices while forfeiting fireteams is a fundamentally different game to play, in my experience.

Yu Jing has some great and unique Vanilla exclusive options (Tiger Soldiers, Daofei/Guilang, Shaolin Monks) while still retaining access to strong, albeit watered down perks from their sectorials (IA order efficiency via LTLvl2 + NCO and Tactical Awareness, Kuang Shi, Smoke + MSV 2, Nimbus + Hsien HMG etc.)

Between Su Jian, Mowang, Hac Tao, HRMC Yan Huo and Daofei, Yu Jing have some nice beatsticks with unique qualities that can be supported by ultra cheap Kuang Shi.

OCEE78 likes this.
  4. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

If youve already got JSA, I'd take on ikari. They're a far better gunfighting and objectives capping faction yet make use of a lot of the same minis you've already got

5. OCEE78

OCEE78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for advice. Going with a vanilla force is certainly appealing, although I like the idea of smaller fireteams, I find it quite immersive. Being able to focus more on single models sounds really fun too, I am assuming you focus more on elite profiles than on units that require a little buff through fireteams.

I was looking at Ikari, but I had no idea where to start, they have lots of different units from different factions, so had no real clue on the next steps to take.

6. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

A good point to start is always a (or multiple) model you particularly enjoy aestetically or rules-wise and build from there. If you are concerned about buying the "wrong" miniature or competitive viablility in general, browse the faction specific tactica to get a good picture of what are the "must have" units for the faction.

#6 Knauf, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Elric of Grans, Abrilete and Section9 like this.
  7. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Yes and no. In the past few years, all Vanilla forces have received some powerhouse combat units whose innate abilities are designed to act like a 5-man fireteam. The Spetsnaz for Ariadna is one. Tarik is another. And even though both of these units are now available in Sectorials, they're a real asset in boosting the damage output of their respective Vanilla factions.

However, Vanilla is also great for its cheap throwaway units. Vanilla Haq can take Daylami, Ghazi Muttawiah, and Kum bikers; these are all amazing chaff units that are strong in Vanilla.

So going Vanilla doesn't mean you need to focus on elite powerhouse units. Some of their cheap stuff is what makes them so good.

8. OCEE78

OCEE78 Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have never seen a vanilla force in play, outside of some batreps maybe. I am still undecided on where to go next, but certainly if I decide on vanilla, it will have to be Yu Jing, love some of there vanilla stuff.

Thanks for the info!

9. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

If you already have a relatively complete jsa force the only things you need to get started with Ikari are a box of brawlers, a couple of yuan yuans, a libertos and maybe a krakot. Sure there are other stuff you probably want over time to diversify yourself and tune the force to different missions, bashi bazuks, desperados, some wu ming if you want to play LI, stuff like that. But if you just want to get started the stuff I listed first are more than enough.

10. OCEE78

OCEE78 Well-Known Member

I never realised they had Morat and Tohaa? In ikari. I have every JSA model in some form or other, so it could be interesting to branch into Ikari.

Edit: How much of an eye sore would it be to have multiple different paint jobs within a force? Just because obviously I would have all my JSA stuff in red/black/white. I suppose the nature of mercenaries allows for non uniform though.

Edit 2: The Libertos model is not released yet? Is he a new profile

#10 OCEE78, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

There is a limited edition Libertos (SMG) out there right now, but the one coming out later this year (LSG) is the general release.

12. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That's not a bad point.

Very much this!

When deciding on a faction to play, open up the CB store in a new window for each faction, then open each unit that you think looks cool in a new tab. Window with the most tabs is the faction you should play.

Personally, I would look towards something that plays very differently from your JSA.

Papa Bey likes this.
  13. OCEE78

OCEE78 Well-Known Member

Checked out the Libertos SMG, could not find one myself unfortunately.

@Section9 would Ikari be very different? Granted it has some of the same units, but it doesn't look like it plays similarly.

14. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

I would definitely suggest vanilla, everyone should have one vanilla faction. :)

Tourniquet and Stuffist like this.
  15. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

Regarding which faction to play as vanilla, that's really subjective. As it is, ANY army you pick will be drastically different than JSA, they play unlike any other army in the game.

A fre factions have some units which are vanilla only, for YJ it's probably just a matter of time until White Banner hits and then all their units will be in a sectorial somewhere. The main strength of playing vanilla though is this huge variety of units. You can always take the best tools for the job, and don't need to maneuver unwieldy link teams to deliver effective firepower.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation