1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CA TAG Speculation and reveal

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Judge Dredd, Nov 15, 2019.

1. bona

bona Well-Known Member

Thanks. Missed the lieutenant lvl 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

Cannot help myself but repeat it:
    it's big...
    it can be caught alive...
    and it's afraid of a dude in a trench-coat.
    [​IMG]

3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Well. Not expensive enough IMO, and that Total Immunity makes it damn hard to handle.

Call in the Hackers. And someone with an Adhesive ammo.

4. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

This profile does in a nice way reveal the weaknesses of the other TAGs. They wanted this thing to stay more than one order, so they removed the vulnerability to possession, EM grenades and monofilament. It's a worthy profile for such a model and I'm glad they did not make it official.

5. raf999

raf999 Member

Total Immunity makes it stupid. There is no way to deal with it unless it rolls bad.

6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Melee gang up

7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Lieutenant L2, 360 visor, and Total Immunity are rather egregious, but otherwise, honestly it isn't bad or all that scary. The visor and TI make it uninteresting and uninteractive, as well as specifically countering non-hacking approaches to fighting TAGs which is terrible design philosophy IMO. Four orders is a lot, it could probably lose the Lieutenant L2 thing as this is offsetting its cost vs an Avatar quite a bit.

If these were removed I'd see little problem for this being in ITS play, though it would probably lead to boring games as its an even bigger all in skew than the Avatar without the Speculo or other support plays an Avatar can make.

Honestly it compares unfavourably to an Avatar in some areas even if you remove the strategos element
    • ODD downgrades to mimetism but gets 5 STR. Probably better for the turret role and worse for the active shooter role.
    • Flamer is IMO a huge improvement over the sepsitor. Fucking hate the sepsitor except against a tiny handful of models (Jerkillies)
    • Has five million burst, MSV1 and BS15, but whatever an Avatar shot at typically died already. This is mostly overkill outside of fighting other TAGs.
    • 154+ points, yikes
    I'm torn on buying this model, assuming it gets a release outside the kickstarter. The material seems jank and I can't play it in ITS. Most of my mates have moved from narrative games to all ITS all the time which is a huge bummer. Would fucking love to have a huge CA vs HS theme battle featuring this monster but would probably errata the rules to make it less uninteractive.

8. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I may be a bit more optimistic about this than you, but I'm not expecting them to change their tune from, "This is a fun thing you can put in some special missions for a unique experience. Enjoy!" Most of your points make a lot of sense when you assume it can be played in common CA lists, but I don't think that's the right assumption to make.

colbrook likes this.
  9. Lesh'

Lesh' Infinity LATVIA
    Warcor

Imo best option if you have smoke is just tie him in CC and leave it, no need to kill it. Let him spend orders on his turn releasing Megg.

Xeurian likes this.
  10. SpectralOwl

Electric Pulse is even better. Swarm him with REMs or Moderators and the big guy gets to do nothing at all. It never ceases to amaze me how few people I play against realise just how powerful that crappy CC option that comes on every REM actually is. Non-modifiable 7 with no save, 2 turns of IMM-2. All those orders, and nowhere to spend them.

11. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I've had at least 2 CC monsters Disabled by Electric Pulse now, Shinobu in one game and Al Djabel in another. However, I don't think it is that feasible to do it with the megalodron, since you'd have to run up the whole table to get into CC with it, and it doesn't even need to leave its deployment zone to wreck shop.

I'm... not happy with this model. I am very glad that it is not ITS legal at least, but it is not something I would put on the table, not even for friendly games. MAYBE in a narrative campaign as some sort of final boss battle.

12. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Not sure if you noticed but MA4 works vs Electric Pulse (Electric Pulse doesn't do anything against Burst MODs).
    Shinobu and Al Djabel are extremely unlikely to lose to an Electric Pulse.
    Miss Super Oniwaban literally needs to roll double 1s with 2 D20 to lose against that.

A little more on topic I dislike this thing for the abomanitation it is on every level.
    Narrative or not, we have a single S8 Model in the game, did that need to be S9?
    It has Burst 6 with akimbo HRMCs, that doesn't make sense since the model has only 1 gun and Full Auto L1 exists.
    Also breaks the unwritten rule of "no straight up B6" for shits and giggles, not exactly thrilled about that.
    STR5, S9, but sure, give it Mimetism.
    As OP as it is Total Immunity is very necessary to avoid decapitation by Mono CCW in one hit. On the other hand that makes it batshit insane rules wise, as far as that matters since it's not exactly playable - even if it was legal S9 has a bunch of problems on the average table.

Can't shake the impression this is a "fun addition" to the game for the heck of it. Which isn't really how Infinity usually handles stuff like that and makes it appear all the more like a Sales driven addition to the Kickstarter.
    Not a fan of that thing existing on any single level.

DaRedOne and sorniak like this.
  13. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

@Teslarod isn't it obvious that this is just a fun unit and a raid boss? Oo

smog and ijw like this.
  14. Teslarod

If it was an S8, non Mimetic, Full Auto L2 Multi HMG without a Lt option it would probably even count as fluffy.

A Mimetic S9 blob with twin HRMCs (that don't appear to be sculpted on the model) and thanks to Lt L2 apparently better at commanding than EI aspects on a combat construct is kinda killing the immersion for me.
    It's a kickstarter, but that thing reeks like a hastily patched together money grab and doesn't really add much to the game experience.
    With that thing being the tabletop equivalent of a raidboss bulletsponge I can see how people don't second guess its existence and just proceed to like it.

Then again theres at least 3 other tabletops that went full ham on adding bigger and bigger shit until the game became unrecognizable.
    It pays the bills I guess.

DaRedOne likes this.
  15. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yeah. That is, literally, what it is. Like the Fat Yuan Yuan.

16. Teslarod

Jup exactly, no consideration for the game. Just adding shit on top for the sake of adding shit on top.
    The Fat Yuan Yuan is a fun sidegrade that doesn't really do a lot. He's havyweight because he's fat and that's already the end of the joke. Subtle and effecitve within the usual design parameters.

Not at all like that giant patchwork abomination that looks stiched together to create someting as OP as possible instead of something that has any sort of resembling to fit into Infinity.
    F for effort. Entirely possible to replace the most jarring components with FA2, which makes it all the more questionable how much effort went into making it.

Personal oppinion with my line of reasoning btw, you're free to disagree. For me it's a big step away from where I'd like the game to go. Dangling that thing in front of people, army legal or not, is just unhealthy for expectations.

And that's before the entire fluff for Infinity warfare being based around the idea that combat is too lethal and large warmachines aren't feasible on the strategic and tactical level.
    In comes the Kickstarter.... "heeey remember how we told you that really hightech stuff is minituarized? Yeah, we need to hit a few stretchgoals so heres our fluff out of the window because we thought you guys might find it cool and that's more important than some distant bigger picture or worldbuilding integrity."

Don't think about it too much it's probably nothing. Too much shit gone wrong with bigger and bigger stuff added to WHFB, 40k and Warmahordes till the death of their core gameplay or something.
    And yes, again I'm aware that it's just one set of extra scenarios and neither in army nor ITS legal for the forseeable future.
    Just really irks me on some personal level.

17. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Okay, I am going to play devils advocate and point out that Bostria specifically said the Megalodrons were made to fight a war against an alien species that the CA has already beaten, and that most of them were already mothballed by the time CA invaded the human sphere. So there aren't any Megalodrons stomping around in human grounds in the fluff.

This thing really is just a raid boss. It's big, it's fancy and it's dumb. However, it is also not ITS legal, so who cares? If people want to play it they can play it.

smog, Doppelgganger and ijw like this.
  18. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I think DaRedOne covered my opinion. It's a scenario-specific profile to let people use a raid boss in a few games for fun.

There are no implications for the future direction of Infinity itself.

DaRedOne and HarlequinOfDeath like this.
  19. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

Maybe some people need to take a step back and take a deep breath if they can't have fun playing such a model in obvious fun scenarios.

Not everything is ITS. People need to see that Infinity is much more than this (imo more and more recycled) format. I would gladly embrace adding more narrative missions and campaigns or the 20x20 system to CB's download section to get people enjoy the so much more colorful universe CB created. Aristeia and Defiance are just the first steps imo.

And like @ijw said there is no implicaion that Infinity (ITS) will change this way.

smog, bladerunner_35 and SpectralOwl like this.
  20. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

While I agree with the overall opinion that we shouldn't be worried at all by the addition of Meggie, I think one of the missions released specifically has it stomping around Paridiso.

That said, I also wanted to add that the Meg is not just a fun raid boss, but it is first and foremost a fun DEFIANCE raid boss that just happens to also be playable in select narrative Infinity scenarios that are not at all ITS legal.

LoganGarnett and DaRedOne like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation