1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with flesh tones

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Belgrim, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

I dont know if this is the right subforum for these kind of question.

Through the year that i have been painting i have found solutions for most of my problems but something keeps bugging to this day. I cannot get my flesh tones right and i dont know how to improve my skills on this matter. I think i have hit a stalemate since summer.
    I have watched many video guides on youtube but i must say none of them explain exactly what to do, and a few good guides are on 80mm models and such.

Can anyone post a link with good flesh guides or at least some advice, i would appreciate it.

taylor likes this.
  2. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

What level are we talking? Where to apply highlights or how to use colors to shade

taylor and Belgrim like this.
  3. Belgrim

This and what colors to use. I cant get the right combination to make it look realistic i guess.

taylor likes this.
  4. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

As you can see in my avatar, or for example on this Ghulam doctor, I'm painiting rather tanned miniatures ;)
    Still if you're interested in rather simple and effective way then I recommend Reaper Master Series paints - they come in triads and it's a nice way to help with shading and highlighting. There are few different color for skin. For example you can purchase Golden Skin + Golden Shadow + Golden Highlight. Then, it's up to you to either use only those three, so basing with Golden Skin, then washing with Shadow and Highlighting.
    Or to mix'em up, making softer transitions, with few layers of each color. And some bigger shadows and brighter highlights.

I'm mixing many colors, but the triads are my base. Plus some brown glazes, some black in recessess.

PozdRawiam / Greetings

WolfofWinter, Belgrim, taylor and 3 others like this.
  5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

If color selections is what you want, have them all. Also zenithal priming might help make it easier while you get the hang of it (and afterwards too).

Green, Belgrim, taylor and 2 others like this.
  6. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

For flesh, I usually mix Tan with either heavy flesh tone or cadmium skin for the base, then a wash of Vallejo fleshtone shade, then I highlight with the base with another drop of cadmium skin, then I do a wash of red on the nose and lips, then I highlight with pure cadmium... just a drop on the nose and some rosy flesh on the lips.

Golem2God, Belgrim and jherazob like this.
  7. Belgrim

@KedzioR_vo yes, I was thinking of reaper triads as a solution.
    Thanks for the link. I already prime with 2colors, Black then white, but in my area nobody has any Matt grey primers.
    @taylor I like the red wash idea

taylor likes this.
  8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Regardless of what paint line you use, flesh tones can be tricky. Real human skin is highly varied and very complex. You’ll want multiple colors of paint and you should favor rich and complex paints, not ones with just a single simple pigment. That’s a good way to end up with weird Barbie-like skin.

Washes are good at adding depth; depending on what sort of a tone I want I might use sepia, a dark brown, or something reddish. You can use different washes on the same base tone to achieve different effects.

Many paint lines have a lot more support for European skin tones than other parts of the world, so depending on your target appearance you may find things easier or harder.

9. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

100% this. Flesh is hard. Honestly, I would look up some pictures of different flesh tones.

Golem2God and Belgrim like this.
  10. descrii

descrii Well-Known Member

For European or East Asian skin tones I've had some success starting with an undercoat of gory red, a thin layer or two of dwarf skin so the red still shows through, leave a little more red on the nose, knees, knuckles etc. Then paint on a couple thin blue veins and freckles, then a thin layer of elf flesh and highlights in white.

Golem2God and Belgrim like this.
  11. deep-green-x

deep-green-x Well-Known Member

My advice for painting flesh tones is not to use flesh coloured paint.

No really they are often to saturated or too pale and look wrong.

Instead use something like VMC Cork Brown as a base and work up using Dark Sand, Pale sand and Ivory. Only use a single flesh tone as the middle of the blend if you have to use one, VMC Medium Flesh is good for this.

Belgrim, toadchild, Golem2God and 2 others like this.
  12. jherazob

I'll have to try that

13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I'm a fan of P3 Bloodstone. It's very versatile.

Golem2God and WolfofWinter like this.
  14. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

You should read the link you posted. *wink*
    And maybe I should do a clone & fix in DS with that page (I had to do something time ago, so a bit of BBCode and publishing it would not be too much more).
    Names, specially with some brands like Vallejo, are just stickers applied (*reads label*wtf*who goes pale green when tanning at the deck?*or lets a ship go green?*).

taylor, Belgrim and jherazob like this.
  15. jherazob

I meant that particular combo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    I received that advice a long time ago and has helped, paint names are to be ignored except for reference and archival purposes

Mob of Blondes, taylor and Belgrim like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation