1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban terrain (not that urban, in retrospect)

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Oestvang, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oestvang

Oestvang Well-Known Member

Started working on some terrain for ab urban table. First off is a dive bar built out of a disused machine shop.

Foam core and balsa construction, with some corrugated card and styrene tubes.

Some lessons before painting...

Not completely sold on the pavement. It's a bit too rounded and uneven. May see how it looks after painting.

Base piece of foam core has warped slightly. Hoping it straightens our when I glue the bar to it. I've left the bar unglued as I want to do something on the inside and fit a window before I close it up.

The back door is tiny. Should have measured.

For the next one I will do all the planning on paper before cutting. So much experimentation and so many uneven angles...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That door actually looks about right if you're building to-scale. A ~28mm model is somewhere around 1/60 scale, and most normal household doors are 30-36" wide. That's 1/2" to 9/16" wide.

jherazob likes this.
  3. Oestvang

Thanks. Yeah, I compared it to a mini and if you discount the base it's to scale. I had originally put the inside floor in line with the window but think I will drop it a little, so whatever scene is playing out on the inside will be more visible from above.

As for next steps, I hit the buildings with some paints, and think I'll finish painting the roof and details before weathering. For the base board on the red building I think I'll go with concrete, but I'm not sure on the wood framework around the doors and windows. Any suggestions?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Section9

I'd paint the trim in some contrasting color. White is pretty typical.

5. Oestvang

Went with green to tie the two buildings together. Used my old speculo to make a little scene inside the bar, and now I think I might need a light in there. Ran out of inspiration for the sign for the bar.

Still have a bit of cleaning and a bit of dirtying up to go.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Modock, HellLois, Pen-dragon and 8 others like this.
  6. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Great work! Very inspiring. I would dirty them a bit more.

One thing you might want to consider for your next project is to make sure that the models can stand easily on the corners of the building. It will be easier from a gaming perspective.

7. Oestvang

I am considering slicing a lot of the pavement off for this reason

8. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Leave it. Do differently next time instead. It isn’t a huge deal.

jherazob likes this.
  9. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Yeah, just before each game agree models can be placed there with a small piece of foam as support. Done.

10. Oestvang

Good point, the problem is mostly on the front corner, although I also need to think about larger base sizes. I've tidied up the pavement, cleaned up some details and added a little dirt and gras, especially on the roof. Airbrushing the edges of the printed roofing tidied up some very clean edges. Now all I need is a name...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. FireFangs

FireFangs Space Oni

That's a clever use of a background and silouettes to create the bar scene. Nicely done overall!

Also that's a lot of paint.

12. Section9

Yeah, that is a really cool idea!

13. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

I was wanting to add some realistic details to my buildings to add to the immersion, and so I went to look at real buildings. I saw something that almost all building have, but I almost never see on terrain. An external electrical box. Usually it consists of some conduit coming out of the ground to a rectangular box like structure attached to an outer wall. Often painted a bluish gray. Most often on the backsides of a building. I started adding some to my buildings. I make a small rectangle box, out of paper or foamcore. and then I cut a section of cotton swap to be the pvc pipe. Quick simple little detail that adds a little realism. Wish I had some good pictures to illustrate, but lazyness wins out.

Awesome scenery by the way. I really like that you added the rooftop vent pipe, I need to add that to more of my buildings.

Section9, jherazob and chromedog like this.
  14. Oestvang

That's a good point, and I want to add some little gubbins like A/Cs, electrical panels and a control panel for the gate, but I want to get a few more buildings built before looking at extra detail. I also need a door and a name for the bar.

15. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Are you looking for a classy or trashy bar name?

"Meat Space"
    "The Black Hole"
    "Joe's"
    "Rocking Casbah"
    "Shots Fired"
    "Spinal Tap"
    "Wet Work"
    "The Hardware Store"
    "The Mini Bar"
    "Sheskin"

jherazob likes this.
  16. Section9

Other actual bar names:
    "Joe's Alibi"
    "The Office"
    "No Lawyers"

jherazob likes this.
  17. Oestvang

Dive bar names, definitely!

18. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I'll go with a classic...

[​IMG]

19. Section9

The Office and No Lawyers are actually pretty respectable places. More sports-bar than pub.

Joe's Alibi is a serious dive.

Oh, another fun bar name is the "Horse and Cow." Way back in the day, it was a biker bar on the first floor and a submariner bar on the second floor (in San Diego). The bikers thought the submariners were too crazy to mess with. It has since moved up to Bremerton, WA.

20. Oestvang

I kinda wish I made the sign square now...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation