1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Point bonus and campaign outcome - short analysis

Discussion in 'OOC [Out of character]' started by Thandar, Oct 15, 2019.

1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Yeah, there's no question about it.

No matter what individual commanders may be seeing on their home page, the Theatre and Front pages gave Haqqislam 4pts/win for the whole campaign.

2. thepoorman

thepoorman Member

Can someone do the math for me? I'm seeing that Haqqislam scored a total of 791 points. With 29 draws worth 1 point each, that leaves 762 points scored by wins. 762 divided by 4 is 190.5.

Edit for clarity: if we were scoring 4 points per win the whole time, then we can't have a half-point at the end. Unless I'm missing something.

3. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Then people would just refuse to play against CA so they don't score wins.

4. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

65 points at Liberty Cargo: Admin. Building for Haqq.

25 reports at Liberty Cargo: Admin. Building with Haqq on either side.

16 scoring wins (Haqq reports) = 64pts

1 scoring draw (Haqq report) = 1pt

Total = 65

That's all phase 2.

I'm not going to get into any other strangeness that may have gone on, but I stand by what I said. The Home page and the Location pages scored 4/win.

The interesting part is that Haqq Wins x4 + Haqq Draws x1 = 797

So something odd seems to have lost Haqq 6pts somewhere.

But it certainly wasn't Haqq scoring 3/win for the whole of Phase 2, or it'd be a HELL of a lot more than a 6pt difference.

#24 AdmiralJCJF, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  5. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

It hasn't hurt the Tohaa or O12.
    Could be the Blue on Blue reports, Haqq has two, one is a win,accounting for 4 points one is a draw which is 1 point, but the opponent (haqqislam) also gains a draw, if they're added to the wins and draws total but not points it would mean a win and two draws don't count for a total of 6 points..

AdmiralJCJF, SpectralOwl and Berithh like this.
  6. Einhorn

Einhorn Combined Human Aid Delegation

I'm all for CA with 5pts per win and I'd play with them all day.

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  7. SpectralOwl

If CB really wanted to sell CA as the boss of a campaign (like during a full invasion), it could be fun to leave them at 3pts or even 1 and have them control any zone they aren't dead last in. Fending off a Combined offensive would actually require the entire Sphere to work together to achieve success, but the low point values would still allow some of the usual infighting.

McKaptain, Cabaray and Einhorn like this.
  8. Einhorn

Einhorn Combined Human Aid Delegation

That's a shockingly interesting mechanic that would require so much amazing coordination, haha!

9. Cabaray

Cabaray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yes. I also love it on how simple it is. Which makes it easier to program into the system. This is the one!

10. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

The problem with that is we're not supposed to be working together. If anything the best way forward for CA is to downplay their importance, make them just another participant rather than the big bad invasion.

Every faction needs to be given an objective to achieve, not even necessarily a zone as a target, but something that can be a little bit ambiguous, let's say CA have to "disrupt the sphere" that could be shutting down a tessium mine, distribution centre or supply routes, or it could be to go full XCom and attack the civilian population centres.

There shouldn't be a winner takes all result, but each faction's effort should be judged on it's effectiveness in achieving their own goals...

11. Shiwen

Shiwen Commissar, Yu Jing Political Work Department

There's a disconnect, I think, between the sort of clandestine ops Infinity is about and the general CB+BoW setup of controlling territories through battlefield wins at each site, but one can imagine using the current system to represent secret objectives that aren't "Take Over Theatre X"... stuff like "If this week CA can accumulate 3x wins each in Jiyuan and Pakngein, they will disrupt the ore conveyors and cargo ships on that supply chain, causing supply shortages for human forces on Paradiso."

The only issue there is that war over territories is easy to 'fire and forget', while more complex objectives would want someone to design them, explain them to the factions, and then summarize their success or failure, and that means CB manpower (or very trusted community volunteers).

#31 Shiwen, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    cazboab likes this.
  12. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

What's weird to me about the current system is this: that faction control has everything to do with the zone and nothing to do with the corresponding faction.

Imagine a Combined Army ship is held by the CA. PanO valiantly battles Nomads, Haqqislam, and all the human factions on the Raxora. Without even a single engagement against the CA, they win enough points... to take it from the CA?

If all those humans were fighting each other (instead of you) on your ship, shouldn't that actually make it easier to hold?

My suggestion would be that control of a zone should depend on points won against a faction, not a zone. That would make more logical sense and have the side benefit of making fake reports a lot more difficult (as you'd have to find minis of your target faction).

McKaptain and SpectralOwl like this.
  13. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

This is a great idea in theory but cant work in practice. What do you do in metas with 4 players and no one plays the faction? Our meta has one CA player but he started a new job and showed up once. Other than that we have ALEPH, NA-2, and Yu Jing. Nothing else. So that means I cant play anywhere other than where those areas would be?

What might be better, is a point boost for playing against the correct faction? The winner gets a single extra point? The issue is the system does not recognize an "owner" Thus the fake 9 points on starting locations, its simply to get their symbol on the map.

SpectralOwl, cazboab and thepoorman like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation