1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla or OSS against Varuna

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by yoink101, Sep 23, 2019.

1. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

What are your favorite tactics, strategies, profiles, or tricks for playing against VIRD?

Shakti and Yadu have some potential, just by virtue of being veteran and decent gunfighters.

Danavas for white noise seems like a good idea.

Dart can do some damage to just about anyone and is one of the few skirmishers that can go toe to toe against Zulu Cobras.

In vanilla, Hippolyta seems like she could be fun to bring. Eclipse plus stealth and super jump means she can get where she needs to go and do some damage.

Thoughts?

For context, the mission is frontline.

2. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Vanguard Officer

Dakini fireteam + white noise will shred the Kamau. If you have the hmg in a white noise zone, and have one of the link's filler pieces move outside of the white noise then the Kamau will be forced to either shoot at the filler or dodge, negating its ability to shoot its way out of dying. If you also have assisted fire active on the Dakini (remember that white noise is not supportware) then the your probabilities look like this against a dodging Kamau

Active Player
    79.04% Dakini Tacbots inflicts 1 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Unconscious)
    49.42% Dakini Tacbots inflicts 2 or more wounds on Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) (Dead)
    Failures
    13.51% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    7.45% Kamau Amphibious Intervention Teams (MSV 2) Dodges Dakini Tacbots

This is quite possibly the single strongest anti-kamau option in the entire game, because it's so ridiculously easy to pull off.

#2 Spinnaker, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  3. MerloyJenkils

MerloyJenkils Well-Known Member

Doesn’t 6 sense ignore the white noise?

Teslarod, DukeofEarl and Musterkrux like this.
  4. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Exactly this.

If the Kamau Sniper is in a link (and it is, you're playing VIRD) then 6th Sense makes the Dakini HMG less effective.

However, with G:Remote Presence the Dakini can lose an F2F roll against DA ammo and most likely be in a position to be repaired (you'd have to take two hits and fail 3+ Arm saves to not be salvageable) and then a WIP 15 OSS Engineer can get the Dakini ready for Round 2.

That's how our meta deals with Kamau (well, rather they use TR HMG bots with an Engineer nearby but the premise is the same).

Sidenote: If the Kamau knows you have an Engineer within spitting distance they'll fire Stun rounds, which aren't lethal but also can't be repaired and knocks the Dakini out of the fight for the rest of the turn.

theradrussian and MerloyJenkils like this.
  5. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Yes and No. It will ignore the -6 penalty after it is shot at but that is not what is being used here.
    For it to ignore the white noise it has to be shot at first. tell then the WN will still block line of sight. So by moving a linkteam member out you force the sniper to take it's ARO on the sacrifice lamb allowing you to shoot it unopposed or the sniper can try dodging.

6. MerloyJenkils

Ok I get it, so it forces the shooter to declar the Aro and not respond automatically.

Nice. Have to try it. It could also be done with coordinated order no?

7. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Drakios. Burn the Kamau.

buggane, Arkhos94 and yoink101 like this.
  8. Spinnaker

People always read the white noise trick too fast and assume that I (or Barakiel, he's the one I always see bringing it up) just mean "shoot it through the white noise". Maybe I need to start bolding parts, lol.

9. Spinnaker

Yup, it's a good way of doing it if you don't have access to fireteams, or if you want to smack the Kamau in the face with a TAG or panzerfaust users.

10. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Teucer's MMLX is really solid even with 1 die against 2.
    upload_2019-9-23_9-55-58.png

Add in some Nimbus from Acmon and it gets even better

upload_2019-9-23_9-56-56.png

Savant and yoink101 like this.
  11. MerloyJenkils

The same would work with white noise and an Arjuna? Or is it different? Lets say you white noise and then send the remotes out of the template and arjuna i side the WN i assume so.

Its a pity the kiranbots dont have repeaters

12. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Yes it is. First action: move. The arjuna stay in the white noise template, but you make sure one kiranbot is out. Both are activated but the kamau can only ARO to the kiranbot, and must do so or he loses all ARO for the turn. So either he shoot the bot or dodge.
    Then you shoot, either unopposed or vs dodge. Try again next order if that's not enough :)

13. DukeofEarl

Also works with Coordinated Orders to force them to shoot who you want them to shoot as well.

MerloyJenkils and Nenyx like this.
  14. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

As long as none of the models activate within 8 inches of the Kamau, then she can delay with 6th sense.

MerloyJenkils likes this.
  15. DukeofEarl

Right as long as you aren't activating within the Kamau's ZOC, but honestly if you are within 8 inches you probably aren't as worried as a pistol isn't near the threat of a MSR

yoink101 likes this.
  16. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Plus the kamau and all his fireteam are probably very worried about that E/M template

DukeofEarl likes this.
  17. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

So here is a question that has been bothering me. Do we want the Kamau to try dodging or do we want it to eat the lamb and have a better chance of death?

18. DukeofEarl

I would say it depends on the situation. Does that dodge allow you to spend orders without worrying about the Kamau? Sounds good to me. Though taking out an order and weakening a link are always nice.

Kir likes this.
  19. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Hm pretty sure I'd consider killing a Core Linked Scapegoat and baiting my opponent into dropping a White Noise completely worth it as a trade for my Kamau Sniper. Even more so if you slap Assisted Fire on him instead of having an Apsaras do a similar job by existing. 4 Orders down, one Regular trooper dead and the Dakini Link is down to 4.

That is after considering the Varuna player needs to be unaware of this or pretty bad. Why would I deploy my ARO piece in front of a Core linked HMG Dakini? That's either a massive deployment mistake or the player needs to be downright bad to let you have turn one and deployment at once.

20. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

It's less about actually using this tactic, and more about knowing that it works. I think it's more likely the VIRD player sees it, and is therefore forced to conceal the Kamau MSV2, or deploy it obliquely. If Game IQ is at the point where the Kamau is forced to hide, or limit its field of vision, then this means that the OSS player can safely project his influence in order to achieve the mission. It's the same as coordinated Panzerfausts, or any other high-probability tool; it's less about actually using this tactic, and more about the VIRD player having to acknowledge the threat and be smarter/more targeted with his AROs.

yoink101, Spinnaker and DukeofEarl like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation