1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commenting on Battle Reports

Discussion in 'OOC [Out of character]' started by ArchHeretek, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ArchHeretek

ArchHeretek Member

Hi friends,

So, I'm not much of a storyteller, but I was excited to get games in for the campaign. The first battle I added, with no text (it's optional, after all), immediately got a comment that was nothing more than calling me out for posting an 'unfinished' battle report.

Then just a moment ago I got a comment, from a WarCor no less, that was just a shrugging emote, which spurred me to log into the forums for the first time in a very long while and write more words than the minimum I could have written for my report.

These kinds of comments aren't constructive or helpful, and they don't make me feel encouraged to post more reports, or improve the reports I post. Going back over the battle reports other people have posted, I've seen plenty of examples.

I had actually planned to go back and write some fluff up, centering around my Ninja KHD that I left in Hidden Deployment the entire game and forgot about. I planned to write a generally comedic story about her slacking off while HRMC rounds and sniper fire tear overhead. I lost interest in doing that the moment that first comment came in. All it did was immediately put me in a bad mood.

Not all of us are writers, not all of us feel like we have the time to do a write up, or take lots of photos. For some people just getting a game a week is tough. Some of us just want to play our games, rep our faction, and have fun in our own quiet way.

By all means, encourage your fellow players, but as I'm sure everyone's mother taught them; if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything. If you feel you absolutely must comment, keep it constructive. And I mean actually constructive, not just a 'meh' or a shrug.

Thank you

2. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

@ArchHeretek I would like to apologize for the poor reception you've received on Novyy Bangkok and condemn those who act in such a distasteful manner. If you are not already aware, you will soon learn this community is full of toxicity and often lacks professional nurturing from Corvus Belli.

If you ever find it in you to move past these glaring issues, know that Haqqislam will welcome you with open arms and a open heart. With us, you will be among friends and equals.

3. warzan

warzan Well-Known Member

I'm personally very sorry to hear this, its not the kind of interaction we hoped for when designing these campaigns and the platform it sits on. Unfortunately human nature seems to kick in, and I think the warcor in question would be well advised to have a think about how they represent themselves and the game.

Hopefully you can put the incident to one side mate, and just get on with enjoying some games and earning some points for your faction. The team here greatly appreciate you taking the time to participate :)

A Mão Esquerda, Einhorn and Fathoym like this.
  4. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

The 150 words, 3 pics minimum is not optional if you want your effort to count for your Faction.

At the end, Warconsole uses "AI Historians" to scrap the points earned from reports that didn't have the minimum requirements.

This cost the first campaign to Yu Jing, which is one of the reasons you will find veterans of four campaigns shaking their head at reports without words.

Another reason is the fact that you can keep a report private until you feel it's finished.

During the last Campaign I had to leave home for a whole weekend, so I compiled all the pics before my trip and did my writting from my mobile.

I hope you can find a way to have fun. If you don't mind your effort not ultimately helping your faction, don't worry about haters and play and report in any way you wish, after all, this is not only a worldwide event, but also an opportunity for you to play with your friends and have fun with them. But do keep in mind that to help the collective effort, you will be required to at least do the minimal work.

5. WiseKensai

WiseKensai Rogue Interventor
    Warcor

Hi! As (most likely) the Warcor in question, I'd like to publicly apologize to
    @ArchHeretek for that comment (and anyone else who I left that comment for). As someone who spends entirely too much time writing battle reports for every game they play, I can safely say that I know how much time and energy it takes to write up a report, so to respond so flippantly to someone's work is inexcusable, especially as a warcor. Mea culpa, it was a shitty thing to do, and I'm sorry, full stop.

@ArchHeretek, if you'd like to discuss more, feel free to PM me here (caveat: I don't login here often so responses may be delayed).

Goonhammer, YueFei23, warzan and 2 others like this.
  6. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

@ArchHeretek while it may seem optional to put content into your battle report, if you don’t meet a minimum content requirements, your results are will get removed, and your faction will lose the points you contributed. This is the main way the system prevents players from faking a bunch of games that never took place.

The comment you had about not publishing before it was ready is totally valid, and you responded flippantly. You submitted a report for other people to rate, without any content. You can always edit the report, including the the opponent code, and whoever finishes first can just give their code to their opponent to link the reports. I understand you were annoyed, but I think you shouldn’t be surprised with people suggesting you put in the minimum effort before publishing your report for others to review.

FWIW, the report you eventually posted was solid.

#6 TheDiceAbide, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  7. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I do wonder if the language of the WarConsole could be cleared up.

"Add More" is what you have to press to save your report to continue it later, but that's not very intuitive.

Perhaps changing what that button reads might help.

Something along the lines of "Save for Later" might be clearer.

8. Fathoym

Fathoym Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I was today years old when I learned this

9. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

I have on more than one occasion posted a comment stating “Add More = Save”

ChoTimberwolf and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  10. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

Or they just change the submission process and instead of having the publish button there they have "Continue..." and the publish functionality is on the more detailed report writing screen.

ChoTimberwolf and cazboab like this.
  11. Sergej Faehrlich

Sergej Faehrlich Well-Known Member
    Warcor

There are two types of comments that usually aren't recieved well:

1) "nice report" as basically the copy&paste thing to gain XP
    2) "add more" to comment on an unfinished report.

Buth can be annoying, but both are rooted within how the campaign works. I was lucky enough to come to your report for rating after you had imporved on it. But I would have commented similarly to the Warcor in question...posting reports has some basic quality criteria. If your report doesn't meet them, people will make that clear. Especially since each campaign there are new players that aren't aware of the mechanics. Better to point things out clearly...not commenting anything wouldn't help improving future reports.

Each and every report is measured against what is out there. And a lot of people put in huge amounts of effort. Empty reports just leave an empty feeling...and honestly...few people will come back later to see your progress...better make sure that report is fine when you publish it. Your report's rating will never recover from 24 hours of bad ratings, no matter how much text is written after publishing it.

I am sorry that you are discouraged by such a comment. If it was your plan to write something, why not do it anyways?

BTW: you do not need to publish the report to get the link code.

Edit: The Warcor in question came back to your report and you even got a commendation...so don't take it too hard, man. People usually don't want to be dicks ;)

12. ArchHeretek

ArchHeretek Member

Thanks for all the responses, folks. Apologies for not coming back sooner, as I mentioned in the OP I'm not a frequent visitor to the forums.

To those who say that "finish this" comments should be expected, I don't agree. Or rather, I don't agree that a terse comment like that is helpful - it's not an encouragement to finish the report, it's just a tossed off comment. You can express the sentiment that the reporter should get their report up to snuff in a positive, healthy manner.

I actually didn't realise that those text and picture minimums are requirements for a report to count. I just took a quick look through the Help and How-to's on the console, and I can't find that anywhere. Perhaps that should be something that's made clearer in future? I can absolutely understand wanting a disincentive to cheating, and I even thing those requirements are a good way of doing it, but at least to me it absolutely wasn't clear that was the case.

13. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

When you go through dozens of battle reports to rate them you will no doubt give great feedback and help improve everybody's campaign experience. Lucky something good can come out of this thread!

I feel sorry for a Warcor putting a lot of effort in to read all the reports and give ratings, commendations and feedback, then finding something as innocuous as an emoji shrug generating this level of complaint and drama. In my opinion you should treat their experience with as much respect as you expect to be given to yours. They're not a paid employee of CB.

14. ArchHeretek

ArchHeretek Member

Cheers for the snark, most helpful.

It wasn't my intent to create drama, but to call out what I feel is an unhelpful practice that's growing around the campaign system. That's why I didn't name either party who commented on my report in the OP, and didn't link to the report itself.

WarCors may not be employees, but they are a part of a team that's volunteered to build the community around the game. That suggests to me an obligation to interact positively with the community. In the case of the WarCor in question, they're also someone who does their own excellent battle reports, and is aware of the effort that they can take. They've even said as much in this thread.

As I said up front, if you're burned out from reading a lot of battle reports to the point that the best you can give is a shrug, I'd suggest taking a break, refreshing yourself, and not posting a flippant comment that does no one any good.

15. YueFei23

Look, you made an innocent mistake and published your report before it was ready, wasted some people's time reading a blank report and then overreacted to fairly innocent feedback you were given.

This is a storm in a teacup, but one of your own creation.

Ayaxs likes this.
  16. ArchHeretek

ArchHeretek Member

I'm not sure why this has gotten your hackles up to the extent that it has, but I don't agree that my response was an overreaction.

I had an unpleasant experience in an event promoted by CB, and brought it up on the forums. I think I've been consistently calm and polite in relating that experience, and asking people if they could do better.

If I were really overreacting, I doubt that WiseKensei would have felt the need to respond as considerately and constructively as he did.

17. YueFei23

Look, a shrug is an expression of ambivalence. An empty report got a short reaction along the lines of "what am I supposed to be looking at here". Your interpretation of that shrug as actionable negativity is what really kicked this off, and you're not really owning the fact that you could have shrugged back and written your battle report. In his own words here, you made WiseKensai feel like he did a shitty thing.

I'll apologise for my snark, but what's irritating to me is that you're still characterising your mistake and your reaction to it as an unpleasant experience that other people are responsible for fixing.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  18. ArchHeretek

ArchHeretek Member

Again, as I said in the OP, expressing that ambivalence as a shrug or a comment just saying 'meh' is an active choice, and people doing this have the equal choice to not say anything. There's even a non-verbal option to do so; give the report a low rating and move on. For some people, myself included, getting those tossed-off comments has a real sting to it, and not in a motivational sense.

And while I hate to argue verbiage, WiseKensei didn't say I made him feel like he did a shitty thing. He said he did a shitty thing, and then he apologised for doing it. That me expressing my feelings on the forum lead to him examining his behaviour, finding fault with it, and then apologising and resolving to do better is a positive good, in my opinion.

19. YueFei23

You are the hero of shrug-gate. Let's move on.

AdmiralJCJF and Ayaxs like this.
  20. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Given human nature, it's a bit of a natural consequence of how you set up your platform.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation