1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varuna deforms the meta pretty intensely

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by Hecaton, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

How are you getting into melee with someone while still being in cover with respect to them? This is fantasyland.

2. Hecaton

Van Zant, sure, but any other AD trooper is going to have to hoof it quite a ways to threaten a fireteam deployed centrally.

3. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Mate, they've got guns? I specifically even talked about the molotok option??

4. Hecaton

You used the term "shank" upthread which would imply melee.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  5. csjarrat

Well with ma2 that's on option, but they'll be gunning their way there first

6. Hecaton

That's a tricky firefight to win with, say, an Airborne Ranger. Even if you manage to catch them out of cover while maintaining it yourself, they're 2 dice on 15 and you're 3 dice on 15. Not a high-percentage move, and you've sunk a lot of effort into making it happen.

#126 Hecaton, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. csjarrat

sometimes it's all you've got, 3 or 4 Vs 2 is odds on for the active player. Depends how much you wanna bang your head against the kamau really.
    I'd take my chances against the fusiliers but most of this depends on board layout, deployment etc etc

8. Hecaton

Yeah, so what you're describing is a last-ditch move. It should never be your plan; if you're relying on it you're in trouble.

9. csjarrat

Not really, I'd take on a linked fusi with a molotok 6th, I'd be more sketchy about with if it was an SMG one however. Like I said upthread, you've got options in US to deal with this link, it's all utterly dependent on terrain though.
    Bikes, AD, big dogs, infiltrating grunts, spec fire all work but it's just a matter of having stuff in your toolbox and seeing what's gonna work best on the day given deployment and terrain

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. Hecaton

How would bikes ever work? They rely on smoke grenades to approach.

11. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

There's a decent chance that a bike can get just close enough without being shot that they can kamikaze across the last stretch of open ground. Move 8", Template 10"-ish (accounting for having to take a corner and then angle template up, of course). Then the Kamau is forced to Dodge or roll against Arm 1.

If the table permits the approach, it's a solid play.

I wouldn't say it's my Plan A but it's worth consdering.

12. Hecaton

I mean it's got like a 30% chance of working because the Kamau will just dodge, and the biker will probably get shot in the flanks by a Helot or something.

13. csjarrat

Mov-mov around cover, mov-template. Terrain dependent of course but that sniper shouldn't be able to see 100% of the board IRL on any "normal" table

A Mão Esquerda and Abrilete like this.
  14. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

OK, so there's a Helot now?

Well, if the Kamau is dodging, then the bike might as well F2F the Helot and have a crack at the Kamau later. It's 56% plays 17% or so for a 2x Assault Pistol Desperado to win that if the Helot is in cover and they're both within 8" (44%/22% if it's 8-16"), so he'll take that fight any day.

Oh, but what about the Jammer Zulu?

...and the Crocman sniper?

Shit man, I give up. :confounded:

15. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

In a perfect world in which the Kamau sniper can see the entire board, the fusiliers are perfectly covering the flanks, a helot is blocking all approaches, and ..... and..... and..... When does it end?

At this point, it is either shaping up to be that the Varuna player is damn fine or its just a perfect storm.

daboarder and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  16. Hecaton

When are there not Helots?

Don't forget that the Kamau will likely option select you with SSL2, and shoot at you if you try anything but Chain Rifle.

Yeah, what about him?

Yeah, maybe don't suggest something to deal with the Kamau that doesn't work too well.

17. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Sixth Sense can only hold ARO if you get within 8", and a chain rifle template is much larger than that. If you are within 8, it also probably means they're shooting you with their pistol, not their MSR, which is a lot less threatening.

Lesh' and DukeofEarl like this.
  18. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I've noticed that anything can look OP when we assume perfect play by an opponent and imperfect play from ourselves.

19. Hecaton

Sure it's less threatening, but it also wins the FtF roll like nobody's business, which means you're going to spend a lot of orders doing jack even if you pass all your Armor rolls.

If it's outside of 8", the Kamau just dodges, and the chance of doing anything with a pistol is a lot less.

I'd agree with that in general, but in this case it's very easy for the defender to attain this supposedly "perfect" defensive setup.

20. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I'd be curious to see what kinds of boards you play on. In my experience it is not so easy to have all perfectly overlapping fields of fire in the ways you describe.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation