1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deploying mines while Climbing Plus

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by ObviousGray, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

The trooper has almost certainly been forced to declare Change Facing at the point the mine gets deployed next to them, unfortunately. The jumping for cover moment is when you try to Dodge the mine exploding - presumably there's no 'arming time' to take advantage of or something.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Not in the situation we're talking about considering how you climb in this game, but in the general case I find it annoying how impotent units are when a Mine Dispenser or Repeater lands literally at their feet

WiT? and Anansi like this.
  3. Sergej Faehrlich

Sergej Faehrlich Well-Known Member
    Warcor

in this case, as the climbing model has to reach to the edge, there will be LoF from any miniature deployed on the roof (facing in that direction)

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  4. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Have you literally never seen a grenade land at the feet of evil goons/mooks in an action movie? :)

Section9 and RobertShepherd like this.
  5. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Seconding this. I find launched deployables more frustrating than tactical, would like it if people could respond to a deployable (or at least a "fired" deployable) appearing in LoS.

Mahtamori likes this.
  6. Mahtamori

They fail their dodge roll, yes.

7. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I think at this point all we can do on the overall discussion is agree to disagree, but this bit appears to be misunderstanding/misremembering the situation. Only troopers with Climbing Plus can lay Mines while on the wall, so yes a Change Facing ARO is almost guaranteed to have been declared, in response to the active trooper declaring Move or Idle.

8. Mahtamori

If the enemy has their back turned, has additional obstacles, or is situated on a different level - sure. But if the enemy is turned towards the enemy trooper and is standing on the same level, there will be LOF or reciprocal LOF given your own interpretation of how the mine layer is placing things over the edge.

But yes, we should agree to disagree. This is an edge* case and I'd argue one should always err on the side of caution considering how damaging springing obscure tactics can be to player-to-player trust.
    Hopefully N4 rules will be better at clarifying edge* cases.

(* I mean, cases where the rules become unclear due to conflicting rules or complicated situations, not only cases involving literal edges)

Post was edited to moderate tone a bit

#48 Mahtamori, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I'm pretty sure Whyrocknodie's diagram is supposed to be representing a trooper that has their back turned. If they are facing the edge I agree with you completely.

10. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

I think N4 should have a boxed out 'rule' in the first page that reads:
    "
    'screw it, that's close enough'
    When we say a situation requires base/silhouette contact there are times when the human eye and hand cannot determine a perfect resolution for model placement (or the dynamic poses of two models prevent proper base contact at certain angles) as long as the full base/silhouette fits in its intended location then both players should move on and play around the minor inconvenience of micron level geometry.
    Note that this only applies to base/silhouette contact with another base/silhouette.
    "
    (delete the last line if CB decides that intent play is acceptable on general principle rather than in specific circumstances to make the game playable)

Section9 likes this.
  11. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yes, there should be LOF as long as they're facing you and there's no rooftop cover to potentially block LOF.

This does not prevent Change Facing ARO shenanigans, however. I can totally see a Zhencha drop Stealth to Climbing+ up the side of a building and lay a mine on the roof to frag whatever was standing on top there.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation