1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deploying mines while Climbing Plus

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by ObviousGray, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Because you have to do it without either the unit or the mine leaving their respective sides in this case, so that neither "rests" on top of each other.

2. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

There's not a lot of use in Ariadna right now for this trick, but this seems so absurdly basic to me. [​IMG]

3. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

ain't that true also for deploying a mine on the ground when you are on the ground ? Any gap thicker than a zero-thickness lines means the mine was not placed in base contact and any negative gap would mean you are occupying the intended placement of the mine and the mine fails. Only a zero-thickness line between the model and mine will work.

It does work both on paper and in reality.

4. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Unless you've moved, because then it's implied that the edge of the trooper's base was at exactly where it needed to be in order to place the mine during such a movement.

Robock likes this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

There is no 'on top of the planes'. In geometrical terms this is a meaningless distinction.

The bottom of the Mine is a partial plane that is parallel to and touching the plane of the roof and is therefore a subsection of the roof plane. The bottom of the trooper is a partial plane that is parallel to and touching the plane of the wall and is therefore a subsection of the wall plane.

Neither the trooper nor the Mine leaves their respective side.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yes, and there is still one exact point where the minelayer's base touches the very edge of the roof despite being fully supported by the wall. That place is where the Mine must be placed on the roof.

7. Sergej Faehrlich

Sergej Faehrlich Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I am not the best of a mathematical thinker, so please forgive my probably faulty reasoning here:

I simply cannot see, how the surfaces and the bases should not be two seperate things...subsection implies that they somehow are, Maybe an explanation would help me to get the thought.

If the are not the same, and the bases are located ON (in better terms for above) the surfaces, than there is a difference in "height"...or better: in the verctor coordinates of the respective points. But since the two surfaces are in contact only in one line of points...the edge...the the two bases cannot be in contact...because they are not the surfaces.

Again: I am not strictly positioned on this topic as it only applies to Climbing + troops ans basically would be a pretty cool move. Still it is hard to argue that for slicing the pie I would have to demonstrate that there is a theroretical gap in overlapping LoF (which I like to circumvene by playing intend), while in this case the reasoning relies on geometry due to the practical impossiblity of demonstration (which I again would circumvene by simply allowing it for the sake of coolness).

8. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

@ijw, I reckon you were arguing against 'hard intent' with infinitesimal fire angles that can be geometrically proven to exist. Yet here, when presented an argument that two bases located in perpendicular planes can only have a common point at the intersection of these planes in a world with zero-width objects (i.e. on paper), you lean onto geometry to prove your point.

It is really impossible to have a precisely cut right angle -- there will always be minor imperfections that will make the rib, connecting the wall and the roof, a non-zero-width object, therefore turning an intersection of two planes into a pair of planar intersections, this preventing the situation where there exists a line that belongs to both the roof plane and the wall plane.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- you're very much right, from the geometrical point of view. But if you're using geometry as a basis for your argument here, why shouldn't infinitely precise pie-slicing be a thing when it uses exactly the same reasoning? What's suddenly so different about these two phenomenae?

9. ijw

As stated up-thread, my position is this:
    Example:

IMG_5049_1536px.jpg

IMG_5050_1536px.jpg

The trooper's base is fully supported.
    The Mine is fully supported.
    The base and the Mine are touching.

My use of geometry is in reply to:
    Where, as far as I can tell, Mahtamori is claiming that it's not geometrically possible to have a point that exists on two planes at once.

10. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Oh shit.

Y'all know you done fucked up when you force IJW to start taking photos...

11. Mahtamori

The mine is overlapping the side

12. ijw

Where?

13. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

Guys, dudes, bros!

I was going to give this thread a mere 3/5 because of the abysmal lack of diagarams but now. Actual photos! And people still disagreeing?!

Instant 5/7!!1

14. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I see a small part of the mine that seems to be supported by victor messer base (on the second picture), is it what you see ?

Mahtamori likes this.
  15. Mahtamori

Yup, precisely this.

16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Even if it was not slightly overlapping Messer's base, there is still a point where the very edge of the Mine's base can touch the very edge of Messer's base!

17. ijw

That's a shadow. If you follow the line of the edge, the Mine isn't going over it.

IMG_5050_redline.jpg

bladerunner_35 and ObviousGray like this.
  18. Mahtamori

You need a perpendicular shot to the two models to judge whether either model's base is over the edge, the angled shot makes it impossible to see. And a shot at 135 degrees angle to the corner to judge if they are touching. If that is even enough.
    It is also important to know whether "base" refers to the actual physical object or the silhouette
    Going back to my original point, that may exist but in which case it is infinitely precise that you have to use strict intent play to accomplish placing it because the nature of where you place them strictly prevents you from using the placing model as a brace. Plus it requires the rules base to refer to silhouette or for you to be using mint condition bases that don't taper from wear or design at the bottom.

This is why I choose to err on the side of caution when judging what rule of thumb is reasonable, particularly since I consider the nature of tise placement to be weird, counter-intuitive, and gamey.

19. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

I can see it, thus:

Climbing Plus Mines.jpg

20. Mahtamori

It's already stretching my suspense of disbelief that a trooper won't ARO in even a remotely logical manner when someone deploys a mine in plain view of them.

Like... jump for cover you idiot.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation