1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation Wildfire

Discussion in 'News' started by chaos11, Jun 26, 2019.

1. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

For police actions you don't want a stealthy boy, but a big and solid one (so it can draw all the attention while the real sneaky troops do their job). In this instance, I think the Zeta is VERY coherent with its function: Riot Control with the ADH template, and Big Game Hunter with the HRMC.

Considering it is a Remote Presence Szalamander (-1PH, -3 BTS, +AP CCW for some reason, changes the flamer for the riotstopper), I'd say is quite good.

Ogid likes this.
  2. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

It is a Dragao with Climbing +, I don't see how that's special. But then again, all of O-12 seems kinda rushed and uninspired to me.

Or maybe the game has run out of design space, dunno

Guardian and Stiopa like this.
  3. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

The other thing that bothers me - they are supposed to be some sort of riot police ("For this reason, those troops specializing in peacekeeping missions carry equipment and weapons specifically designed to avoid permanent damage to their targets.") and yet only warcor brought a stun pistol (the only "stun" gun in the army)
    *UPD* Oh, wait! There's also HRMC. Nothing better than putting down riots with some rapid firing rubber bullet railgun!

4. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

I've gotten that sinking feeling on a few things in the game. However, I feel things are more rushed due to this release schedule they are on. I'm hoping that 4th edition removes some of the clutter, while still keeping the game fresh. Ever since the Kotail Mobile Unit released in N2 I feel it's always been a big arms race on how many abilities a unit can fit. Tie that in with absurd things like the proliferation of SMGs, it's just a very different time.

I don't mind the vast armies and special rules, but I feel like things can be organized better and some interactions made clearer. I miss this game because I don't get to play with anyone anymore and my close friends and family got burnt out I think.

Don't know how this turned into a rant, but I said my piece. Hoping for more variety in terms of missions and play styles. I would also like a single player campaign style similar to how Fallout does the single player experience. Defiance looks like a step in that direction.

5. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

Just to remember to those who have forgotten it: putting an HRMC on a TAG is a big deal by itself. Designing the Dragao was a hell of a mess according to HSN3. So making this kind of TAG able to climb and stand on walls easily is just crazy. The lack of precision can be put on the pilot who might no have the same level as the PanO ones (who are known to be the best of the Sphere).

6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Also six units with MULTI Sniper Rifles, and two with MULTI Rifles.

7. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Considering peacekeeping can include policing actions against nations that may be breaching sovereignty (like a Yu Jing or PanO force getting squirrely on Dawn), deploying a TAG with a weapon capable of deterring the offending forces is a very good idea. You are getting too fixated on the riot police aspect. Dealing with civilians and minimizing casualties of a belligerent force is only one side of the coin, which is what the glue template is for. Heavier weapons are absolutely called for considering all the small teams, often deploying TAGs of their own, keep popping up in places all over the Sphere they aren't supposed to be.

8. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

You'll note that UN Peacekeepers may often not be authorised to shoot anyone but they still have very real live rounds in their guns...

9. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Frankly, this was one of my biggest concerns with how O-12 had been presented in the past. Too many people likely just consider them "space cops" rather than a paramilitary force(if not an actual militarized group!) that can perform the role of "space cops".

10. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

PanO's better BS is due to their optic and targeting systems afaik

ZlaKhon likes this.
  11. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Vanguard Officer

I think the problem with the Zeta is not necessarily that it's bad, but that it was hyped up as "the best TAG in the human sphere" and ended up just being "Well priced MBT with a good gun". We were all expecting something that could compete with Cutters and Maruts.

I would have loved to see it at around 110/120 points, which could get it some nice extra toys - MSV1 and Mimetism perhaps?

ZlaKhon, daszul, AdmiralJCJF and 5 others like this.
  12. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

I share this. Infinity feels a bit less shiny and rushed these days to me; too many new sectorials added with few new ways to add new playstiles (just the again more and more optimiced fireteams); then this new thrend of optimiced profiles. And meanwhile rules are still there waiting to be addressed...

13. Ravrohan

Ravrohan Well-Known Member

I completely blame it on the hype levels I've read about the thing, and seeing the Maruts stats, but I envisioned something that could go toe to toe with an Avatar. Not outright surpass it, but come closer than any other TAG (except the Marut maybe) Admittedly I'd have been happier if its baseline stats where higher but the easiest comparison for me personally is how it stacks up against a Seraph.

Semi side note, is there any artwork of this guy?

14. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

I blame it on the game mechanics. If mods weren't such a big deal, would you think the Zeta more or less impressive?

Spinnaker likes this.
  15. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Vanguard Officer

It would be more impressive (and as a side note, I would love MODs to become less dominant in general), but it still suffers from the problem of living up to its reputation as "the best" - it just doesn't make much sense to have "the greatest TAG in the human sphere" only be the 6th most expensive one.

I suppose you could argue that just because it's advanced, doesn't mean it needs to be the best. After all, Achilles is the most advanced model outside of CA and he's only 70 points. It would just be cooler to have another "Super TAG" to play around with.

emperorsaistone likes this.
  16. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

But Achilles IS impressive and lives up to his fluff

17. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Remember when the Tiger Soldier and Daofei were supposed to be part of Invincible Army? They walk back fluff all the time.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  18. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

They need to maybe take a year off from rules writing and off from the next big thing. Maybe test new formats with us. Stuff like Recon+ is a blast. All while putting out models for profiles that have nothing.

#1198 -Ghost-, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    emperorsaistone, Ogid and Hecaton like this.
  19. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

I agree so much with this, thanks to the missing models they could still be producing while being focused in rules and balance. Different formats and missions may give the oportunity to shine to different models and create different game experiences.

This is a very unlikely change, but I'd also love to see the special rules, like the one applied to the different ITS seasons, applied to different sectorials while removing powerful models from fireteams to add different flavours and power to the sectorials without having to rely 100% in the Fireteams for that.

For example, let's imagine 3 special rules for Tungunska:
    Cybersuperiority: Each Hacker of this list have access to the programs of every other non-null hacker of his army. All hackers are equiped with the repeater piece of equipment for free and all repeaters control zone radius is increased by 2 inches. The player may use the Lt order to use a hacking coordinated order (same rules as listed in the EVO hacking device).
    Command Link: Each Hacker equiped with an HD, HD+, AHD or EVO hacking devices give an extra order to his order pool. Each 2 KHDs give an extra order to his order pool. Up to 4 extra orders. This doesn't let the player go over the 10 regular orders per combat group.
    Not only hackers: For each 50 points, the tungunska player may expend an extra 5 points and 0,25 CAP.

A tungunska player will be given the oportunity to choose a worse Fireteam link chart (for example, only cores and duos with no special fireteams or willcard allowed) to be able to use one of these 3 rules when making his lists. Giving the oportunity to trade superior fireteam firepower for a powerful hacking themed army or a more powerful solo attack piece. Add to that some extra profiles just for the faction and you can give each sectorial their own very differenciated style.
    Plus there is an extra layer of balance there. If one sectorial start to underperforms, just buff a bit their special rules.

Other possible special rules out of the top of my head:
    Net Gunslingers Creed: Each hacker equiped with an HD+ or a KHD gains FD2 and can start the game in the IMP-1 state. Cybermask no longer require a roll and let the hacker enter in the IMP-1 state instead of the IMP-2. Using a pitcher counts as a short movement skill instead of a short skill and pitchers are Disposable (3) for this army (add this for an extra Interventor profile with something bigger than a combi and you have a very cool style for tungunska)
    Advanced AI: Zondmates and Puppebots don't get disconected when their controler enter in a null state or they aren't in the control zone or their controler. If their controler enter in a null state (including Dead), the player can activate them as if their controler were in play. REMs no longer suffer a -3 to Dodge and Change Facing.

20. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

Do. Not. Like.

But I do highly encourage you to find some like-minded individuals and road-test these ideas. Keep the forums updated on impressions and developments.

Belgrim, Ariwch, Abrilete and 4 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation