1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is CB trolling?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Zewrath, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

Business for geeks;

Add Samurais for sales and make their enemy stupid assholes :joy:

2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Misattributing words especially for staff members is not wise and for the record the closest to what you said probably comes from me and not Gutier and I never said people are not intelligent enouph for the setting, I said not understanding the nuances of the setting is not the fault of the author.

I accept I may have been a bit harsh on the criticism there, but, never the less these are my words and not the authors.

As I said several times one does not appreciate how important it is to have an unrealistically powerful arbitrator in the setting that overrules the big powers, realistically and since PanO had a two solar systems advantage there should no other power exist except maybe as a vassal state and nobody realises how vast the difference in power levels are between PanO and everybody else, the second neocolonial wars were (a prepared and militarised) PanO ended up casually bombing the Yu Jing capital planets shows at what power level they are, if concilum did not exist and it did not have the power it has (and its power was accepted by everybody) the setting would be PanO, some vassal states, some insurrection groups and CA/ Tohaa.

Yes, applying modern, realistic, geopolitical theory to the setting many things do not add up and the biggest is why PanO did not wipe out any and every opposition before they even started, they have all the advantages and resources to stop any upcoming challenger dead on the start line and not only they left them but allowed concilum to exist and be more powerful than them, do realise when I say Infinity is internally consistent I mean just that, it has an internal logic and is consistent at it.

There are some important things to take for granted and the power of concilum is an important one, Yu Jing will accept the ruling even if it is frankly not that great for them, because they were saved by other rulings from them and frankly they may be saved again in the future, if cooncilum is not a power to have for granted, then buy the end of the second neocolonial wars Yu Jing should either be "non existent" or a minor power forever in dept to PanO for "war reparations" and definitely not reset to more or less the pre first neocolonial wars status.

3. Marduck

Marduck Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people think the repression of the Japanese revolt against Yu-Jing is unrealistic.

Just look at what China does today to tibet, what it does to the muslim minority and nobody really carrying about it (except for an occasional TV report). Or look at what happened in Syria (Bashar vs his own people before Daech appeared) for years and nobody really carrying. All that make the repression pretty realistic to me.

The conflict being resolved within 6 months with an independant Japan instead of the revolution being crushed is more eyebrow raising to me. The Concilium is definitly nothing like the modern United Nations. It's something completly different with much more power.

Or there is some dark secret plot with a puppet master yet to be revealed. Maybe the CA and / or the triumvirat helped the japanese to be independant by influencing the concilium.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. SpectralOwl

At least as long as Concilium stays reasonable. If they always vote in favour of PanO to the point where it becomes impossible to oppose them, the insurrections would start using FTL starships or de-orbiting stations as rams against planets and we'd be playing Fallout 2336 instead. Yu Jing seems arrogant enough to pull off mutually assured destruction, and Ariadna would be doing it already if they had figured out how to get into space thanks to their more-than-awkward "first contact".
    It has two things at this point in time that no power in the setting can really take back from it; ALEPH's core systems and the Circulars. ALEPH has a finger in every pie (almost literally, Infinity has taken the Internet of Things to the extreme) and non-Nomad governments won't work without its help, and the Circulars are the lynchpin of interplanetary trade. Concilium could single-handedly destroy any other power simply by rerouting its trade ships and telling ALEPH to cut them off, because they couldn't even organise a response. It would be anarchy inside a week.

5. psychoticstorm

Concilium seems to historically rule against PanO, not in favour of PanO.

6. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Gautier literally said that people would do good reading his writing because they would "learn new words" in a spanish interview. The fact that you don't know about this doesn't make it false. He also said he was baffled because NOBODY understood his great depiction of Yu Jing.

By the way, love your "you can't apply logic to the setting" argument and you completely ignoring half the supposed political struggle from the setting comes from Yu Jing supposedly being the second hyperpotence and supposedly (again) being the foil that keeps PanO in check, but I suppose we all readt different rulebooks than you when you are defending some kind of "but PanO was always all-powerful" thing the rest of use never noticed.

#606 Benkei, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. psychoticstorm

I have never heard of this from anybody else, that been said without context what you wrote means nothing.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It's from an interview on Mas Allá de Mordor (Spanish Podcast) from sept/oct 2018 on the topic of 3rd offensive release and the quote is, according to @xagroth "some of them should read my books, they might even learn new words, even if those are badly written"

I don't speak Spanish, but that's the source of it as far as a quick forum search can reveal.
    I'm not sure if that is as much of an insult to the people he's referring to in Spanish as it is in English.

Dragonstriker and xagroth like this.
  9. psychoticstorm

Doesn't sound like an insult to be honest... but thanks for the full quote.

10. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

To a native english speaker at least, that is indeed an insult. The speaker implies the listener is stupid and poorly educated and should read his writing because they will learn new words in response to criticism.

Maybe there is a Spanish idiom or context that is being missed in translation that somebody can fill in for us, but without that it comes across as arrogant and an insult. Certainly at the time that quote was made right in the middle of the Uprising fallout it was received... poorly.

Dragonstriker, Kallas and xagroth like this.
  11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

You keep amazing me with your world views

And hee, it sounds exactly the same in Spanish, it is arrogance, not a twist of words.

Dragonstriker, Kallas and xagroth like this.
  12. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

It comes as "you are illiterate, and you will learn new words by reading what I write. Even if what I write has gramatical mistakes".

I thought, at the time, that it was a poorly expressed attempt at... let's say homaging Arturo Pérez-Reberte (a spanish war journalist, turned writer, with a chair in the Spanish Royal Language Academy. Among his most popular, non-news related, works we can find the Alatriste collection, of which a movie was made, and several other books, among which there is Comanche Territory, another one turned into a movie); he is quite (in)famous because of his acid remarks, specially on twitter, and his command of the written word.

Also, it was still somewhat recent the "insinuations" about the Infinity RPG going really slow because Gutier was acting as a bottleneck.

Frankly, I was happy to hear there were other people involved in the writing of the books after that, even if it was a 'porting of the Varuna chapter.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  13. Ten Thousand Arrows

Ten Thousand Arrows Imperial Sage

Are you serious? It's hard to tell if you're being genuine at this point, and I personally don't think that you are.

I'd appreciate if you @ me when replying so that I know you've replied and that I know you're talking to me. As other users have explained, the statement most certainly came from Gutier. For the record I made it clear that I was paraphrasing, and so no words were mis-attributed. You then accept that your criticism was harsh, but dismiss my concerns entirely when confronted with the fact that you were mistaken:

The context was people (consumers) criticising the fairly expensive book that he wrote (a product). What he said was petulant and blatantly insulting to the very people who are giving him their hard earned cash. Combine that with Bostria saying "I've been drinking Yu Jing tears all morning", and a large number of Warcors working to quell forum dissenters with phrases like "stop worrying, you don't even know what Yu Jing will get from Uprising" - even though it played out just as bad as any of the most vocal critics had suggested it might, only to be then told by the same people "why are you complaining, you'll get IA soon anyway". What you end up with, despite beautifully sculpted miniatures, is a horribly toxic community environment that consists of members of the design team insulting players, and then having the warcor team (voluntary pseudo staff) defending them en masse.

I couldn't have put this better myself. The internal logic of the setting has been wiped out faster than you can say "hyperspace ramming the death star".

#613 Ten Thousand Arrows, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Furiat, Dragonstriker, Kallas and 3 others like this.
  14. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I try not to invest myself in the story anymore. That way lies despair lol. Best to just make up your own in your head.

Nemo No Name likes this.
  15. psychoticstorm

It still sounds more like humour with a healthy amount of self sarcasm to me but you are free to feel insulted if you want, same with Bostrias "Yu Jing tears" was a lighthearted humour that some decided to feel insulted by, I do not see anything wrong with either of the instances and most of community likes a more interactive and Humorous CB than a faceless corporation that does not interact in any but the most "distant and safe" way.

@Triumph @Benkei @xagroth well that is one way to interpret it another would be "hey I may not write as good, but read them I use interesting words" or any other interpretation than "I am out there to insult you specifically" frankly the fact you conclude malice in exclusion to anything else is troubling.

@Benkei @Ten Thousand Arrows I would say internal logic of the world was maintained and all the intricacy of the setting was maintained, the fact that Yu Jing hold the balance against a vastly superior PanOcenia is a credit to their diplomacy and military capabilities, that does not mean they cannot be outmanoeuvred, since the separation was decided to happen, the way it happened was in my opinion the best way it could happen, now obviously you disagree but I have not seen any scenario of the separation happening in a better way only push against it ever happening.

@Space Ranger I feel making ones own cannon despite what the source material said created this disappointment.

16. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is good writing goes like this: "guys, you gotta believe Yu Jing can keep PanO in check because a wizard did it even when all the "writing" we are gonna do shows Yu Jing being inept and PanO doing whatever they want with absolutely cero consequences"

Seems legit for a coherent setting.

Ariwch, Dragonstriker, Kallas and 2 others like this.
  17. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

There are two CB apologists on this forum that will defend CB actions against all reason and odds. One works for them, other is usually the only one liking his craziest and most nonsensical posts when he is not arguing everyone who dares critique anything related to Infinity or CB. It is usually best to ignore their posts when they become nonsensical, because they will add nothing to the conversation. Furthermore, your repeated explaining of simple facts they refuse to acknowledge will mark you as trolls and haters. Trust me, it's best to ignore them.
    On current topic, every tabletop game has a story that is meant to sell minis. This is why these books exist. We can pretend it's not like that, we can pretend these books are great literature. They are not and this isn't their purpose anyway. It's up to the consumer to accept that and like it or not. I personally find that fluff is somewhat deteriorating in quality lately, but it's still good enough for me to buy every new book and justify playing factions I do. Maybe it will get better in the future, maybe it won't. Art is definitely getting better each book tho.

Ariwch, Dragonstriker, Kallas and 7 others like this.
  18. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Dude, do you remember that conversation that was had about you being completely unable to find any faults with CB and defending even the most illogical and nonsensical arguments?

You're doing it again. This is pretty textbook.

Dragonstriker, Kallas and BenMoss like this.
  19. psychoticstorm

So I am not allowed to like the fluff you do not like?

I find the universe internally consistent, intriguing and responding appropriately to the events that happen in it, you may not like it, but for me it is what it is.

Uprising definitely ruffled some feathers to some posters and definitely contradicted their view of what Yu Jing was, for me it played as it should be and was quite happy about it.

Each fictional universe has its own rules that one must accept for it to function, the "make or break" is when the rules are broken internally, in my opinion the rules of the universe are preserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation