1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcards (not) replacing all Fireteam core Troopes

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hachiman Taro, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Depend on the player, if you try to do that with a Deva Fireteam, then it's illegal. So in this case it's a Dakini Fireteam.
    What you can't do is saying: I assemble a 2 Devas + CSU (as a Dakini core) and then try to add a Asura (only legal for the Deva Haris). That mix would be illegal.

#381 Ogid, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

You're missing the point.

You're saying a Dakini Fireteam is any Fireteam listed against Dakinis in the Sectorial chart.

@Mahtamori is saying a Dakini Fireteam is any Fireteam that includes at least one Dakini or counts as Dakini.

I haven't found a reference to say that you're correct.

Mahtamori likes this.
  3. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

It's in the own rule
    When creating a Fireteam: Core that includes Wildcard troopers, you must include at least one trooper from one of the units listed for that Fireteam in the Sectorial chart, or a trooper who counts as one of those units.

This rule for Cores is an extra to the other rules but Cores works exactly as any other fireteam but with the extra restriction. So in this case you assembly your FT using the fireteam chart BUT you MUST include at least 1 of the unit listed.
    Any other FT works exactly the same without that MUST; so you again use the "recipe" you want and as long as you don't add things illegal for that "recipe", it will be a legal FT. The key is that the rules don't limit it.
    It's not specified that I have to take a unit listed in the Haris, so I don't have to. But I have to follow all the other rules (include a Haris, respect the number of members...). In this case it's implicit that I can.

4. inane.imp

He's not discussing Wildcards. He's discussing troopers that can join a Fireteam of X.

What is a Fireteam of X?

5. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

Fireteams are just a recipe, forget about the names.
    Imagine this:
    It's much easier to name the FT recipes using the name of the "main unit", but in the end this how it works. They are recipes that let the players build their links.
    You can do a SSS Fireteam nº3 using 2 Wilcards + 1 Deva; and it's still a SSS Fireteam nº3. But as instead of SSS Fireteam nº3 that recipe is called Yadu Fireteam then it's a "mess that makes no sense" /s. It's just a name for a recipe, nothing more.

6. inane.imp

Except the 'can join X' refers to the name not to a recipe.

I get your point and I think you're right. But I can't find anything to prove it. I can find nothing that concretely says "A Dakini Fireteam" are those Fireteams listed next to Dakinis in the Sectorial chart.

Ogid likes this.
  7. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

That's the key, the name and the recipe are the same, so that's just the problem. IDK, maybe it could be a good idea to difference the name of the recipe for the name of the unit to avoid this. Fireteam Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta... for each army.

This is a different story, this game would benefice a lot from a glossary that define every single term (just check what the lack of definition of status of an order caused here); but right now the fireteam chart is the closest thing we have to a definition.

8. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

How would you define a Dakini Fireteam in a different way form "what is listed in the entry of Dakini in the Fireteam Table"?
    Dakini Core or Special Core are both Dakini Fireteam, they are (btw, the mixed Dakini+Deva CANNOT be a Deva Fireteam because the Deva entry lack the relative line...)

These are Dakini Fireteams
    upload_2019-6-18_11-38-45.png
    What else?

CabalTrainee and Robock like this.
  9. inane.imp

Fireteams that actually contain a Dakini. I thought I'd made it clear by now. [emoji14]

Basically it's the difference between:
    This Trooper may be part of a Fireteam that may include a Dakini.
    This Trooper may be part of a Fireteam that does include a Dakini.

I think your inference is the correct one. But it's an inference. It's not explicit. That's what @Mahtamori has been saying.

Mahtamori likes this.
  10. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

But then, a core with dakini and devas would be a deva core even when they have not that core listed in their links?

Ogid likes this.
  11. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

There is a table? Yes
    There is a table with a line for Dakini? Yes
    There is a table with a line for Dakini with a list of Fireteams? Yes
    How much more explicit do you want it, ffs?

Deva + Dakini CANNOT be a Deva Core, as it is not listed in the Deva entry

12. Ogid

Ogid Well-Known Member

And there is also the fact that the troopers that can join only that type of fireteam are in the same line. So all point toward it.
    It's like saying: "Yes, we found him with a bloody knife in his hand, next to the victim, we heard him yelling "Die, Die, DIEEEE" but nobody saw him doing it! So it's not so clear!"
    When all the evidence points in one direction...

However it's true that there isn't a formal definition of what is an X Fireteam and that the fact that the main unit and the recipe share the name might cause problems so
    [​IMG]
    But could we agree that the most probable definition is the table one (recipe) instead of the model one (unit)?

inane.imp and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  13. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I'm not thinking that the Core, Haris, Duo thing doesn't need to be argued. As far as I can see, there's not many Wildcard troops that also have the Haris skill, and there must always be at least one figure with that skill. I found Odalisques at a max of 2, so one of them will be the native troop, and Kamau. Also, for both of them they are the basic troop.

For Duo the only profiles that I can find are Miranda Ashcroft, Veteran Kazak, and Knight of Santiago, that are both Wildcard and comes with the Duo skill.

14. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

If we look at the Dahshat Company, a "Rui Shi can join a Zúyŏng Invincibles Fireteam." What Fireteam can this be referring to? There is no matching Special Fireteam in the chart. It's extremely likely to be referring to the Unit name in the chart as that's the ONLY time those words are used.

It would be extremely unlikely that the 'named' Fireteam is not referencing that category of Fireteam but instead referencing a different type of Fireteam. A Fireteam with no written rules to indicate its requirements.

That alternative also creates a rather large issue... How do the rules reference a FIreteam on the chart instead of this other type of Fireteam? @Mahtamori's alternative interpretation would suggest that by simply referencing a type/unit of Fireteam on the chart, it comes with a new requirement that the Fireteam must now contain at least one of the 'named' units.

15. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

It is not Special Core, but Core...
    upload_2019-6-18_15-13-28.png

16. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what point you're making. I was referring to the fact there is no Zúyŏng Special Fireteam listed that includes the Rui Shi. Leaving us to draw only one conclusion about what a Zúyŏng Fireteam is referencing. Which is the unit name.

17. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

The point is that while there is no Zúyŏng Special Fireteam listed, there is a Zúyŏng Core Fireteam listed. Leaving us to draw only one conclusion about what a Zúyŏng Fireteam is referencing. Which is the Core* Fireteam listed against Zúyŏng in the Sectorial chart.
    *and Haris too, you could have a rui shi in a haris zuyong fireteam. It is not written that it must be a special core, or a core only. Haris is valid too.

18. Ginrei

Ginrei Well-Known Member

Isn't that what I already said? I also used that point to ask another question.

If a rule stating a unit can "join a Zúyŏng Fireteam" means at least one Zúyŏng or counts as Zúyŏng must be present... how do we write a rule so a unit may join that category of Fireteam without requiring one Zúyŏng or counts as Zúyŏng be present?

Edit, The ONLY identifier for a Zúyŏng Fireteam is the unit name of Zúyŏng. So how does one reference that Fireteam without calling it by its unit name.

#398 Ginrei, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Robock likes this.
  19. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

ah yes. so i'm not sure what Tox point is either. I thought it was about you looking for a special fireteam description, but at this point I think we are all three making the same point.

The only way to write a rule so a unit may join that category of Fireteam (regardless of special or core or haris) without requiring one Zúyŏng or counts as Zúyŏng be present; IMO, is to write "can join a Zúyŏng Invincibles Fireteam."

Ginrei likes this.
  20. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

This... ^_^

Ginrei likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation