1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to Use a Taskmaster?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by yoink101, May 28, 2019.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

You forgot Metachemistry!

Hachiman Taro likes this.
  2. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

And nanopulsar em nades cc 23 nbw ikhol and 3 g-sync pups pls

3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, back in the day there was a "Resourceful Generals" thread, I posted one of my usual 200pt Yu Jing GitS lists, where there were 7 models each with a specific role and zero overlap.

That was a very hard list to use, partly due to limited orders and partly due to no overlapping abilities.

I do much better with 300pt lists, because I can take 3 Tachikomas for orders.

xagroth, DaRedOne and Maksimas like this.
  4. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I think the Taskmaster is really good and I'll tell you why: the biggest weakness of HI shooters on the Reactive is getting mugged up close due to lack of support, and the Taskmaster brings their own support. They have an offensive weapon for almost every situation and defensively bring perimeter weapons, big templates and even some CC which means a warband won't automatically whip them around.

Like a Kriza is awesome but if I encounter a TO Camo Shas trooper it'll be tricky for them to deal with it, the Taskmaster gets into CC and chops it up. I've used that CC on the Taskmaster enough times to know that it genuinely is fantastic and it gives stealth! The Taskmaster is an amazing Datatracker too, they need to be tough and multidisciplinary and the TM is exactly that.

#84 Solar, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    csjarrat, loricus and DaRedOne like this.
  5. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Sorry I am so late to respond.
    True but they also tend to reward offensive bully pieces who can cheat to win gunfights. At the end of the day when it comes to winning gunfights the taskmaster is still just a BS13 trooper.
    I have to admite that I am not very comfetable with that list you made as I feel it lacks offensive punch.
    I am doing Decapitation Saturday and I think I am going to try running this list to see what I am missing. Any tips for playing it?

6. inane.imp

Oh, that's not a Decap list. At all. That was the other list. I took that for Aquisition and something else.

It is actually really defensive. But that's a lot of how I play Aquisition. Press buttons, kill anything they push with the Intruder, use SK (or similar) for spot removal of anything that can really threaten a Taskmaster. Then T3 push with the TM to hold the centre objective.

My Decap list in that tournament was a Hollowman Spitfire Datatracker and a Intruder Lt. In Vanilla I tend to Intruder Lt over Taskmaster. In Bakunin, it's pretty much TM for a survivable LT. I play both and wasn't being specific.

You can fit Bran, Moderator Core (with LGL), Uberfalls and a TM Lt in a Bakunin Decap list. Which I've run successfully (and is more viable now that you don't have 5 OP tied up in the Datatracker kill).

7. Andre82

Ok you mentioned a few times you liked the Taskmaster for decapitation so I assumed this was a list you felt worked.
    Any chance you would post such a list with the taskmaster so I can try it out?

8. Andre82

I wanted to avoid making my own list as I am less likely to learn anything as I start trying to make up for what I perceive as the shortfalls of the Taskmaster.
    Not sure what you mean by not having 5op tied to the data tracker kill.
    Doing Decap tonight and I don't have a list lol. I guess I could run Tohaa, YJ, PanO, or Haq, but I was really looking forward to playing with the Taskmaster here.

9. inane.imp

Yeah. Sorry. I've been involved in running a tournie for the last 2 days and haven't had the brain space to sit down and write something.

The English version of Decap had a mistake and it meant that killing the Designated Target with your Datatracker was worth 5OP.

10. Andre82

Np. next practice night I will just push for Acquisition and try the list then.

11. Andre82

Doing this tonight. Kinda nervous because this list is so outside my comfort zone.
    Quick question about your TR bot.
    It's a very defensive list with some midfield control, but is short on aro control.
    Considering the bot is your 2nd best gunfighter do you protect it or use it for aro control?

12. inane.imp

I split the difference. I pick a defensive firing line that my opponent needs to spend orders moving to approach.

Solar and loricus like this.
  13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I tend to find strong but conservative AROs are best. Don't use it to cover the whole board. Use it to cover a narrow but important midfield fire lane in order to channel them into your Zeros and Morlocks, and mean they have to spend orders to position something to kill it. If it can't be outranged by a sniper especially!

E-Warden, loricus, krossaks and 2 others like this.
  14. inane.imp

Exactly. You WANT your opponent to push into the midfield vs that list. It counter punches hard.

E-Warden, loricus and Solar like this.
  15. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Yes my Corregidor style loves to be pushed against so my AD can tear guys apart. Doing more damage than you take is hard when you're up against Jaguars and Geckos. Unfortunately I'm down to one opponent for a while and he is both aware of this and good at deploying.

16. inane.imp

Good regular opponents are good, but it's really a joy when you play good unfamiliar opponent's "Ah, I see you've fallen into my hands Mr Bond, prepare to die."

Unfortunately I'm finding it rare to play a competitive opponent where I'm not playing up hill: my regular opponent's at the moment are all getting significantly more games than me and tended to be better players anyway. :'(

loricus likes this.
  17. Andre82

So I ran that list from page one.
    I was going to do a full batrep but not much point considering the large roll chance played.

My opponent was playing Tak. He is kinda green but skilled.
    I got tableside but had to go first.
    First problem I was going to have to solve was a his 5man link with a ML and Sniper in a very strong overwatch position watching very important fire lines and the tech coffin.
    The Intruder tried to slice the pie to kill the sniper but lost the shootout and died.
    This forced me to have to use the TR bot for this job.
    Had the TR bot failed to remove those aro units I have little idea how I would have won. I pinned down the left side of the board with mines, crazy koalas, Mary, and a Morlock.
    I won the rest of the game by making all the face to face and armor rolls tell my opponent conceded before my second turn.

I know the Taskmaster was supposed to shine round 3 and we never got that far, I was however missing having another strong anti-aro gunfighter when the Intruder died.

18. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

I often find that unless you are shooting one of the filler dudes, Intruders are really bad at taking down core linked models with guns, like don't even bother levels of bad. where they shine is with solo operators like TR bots and Haris teams, the second SSL2 enters the mix the intruder is just dead.

Though funnily enough the TM would actually be pretty good at getting there and taking down the team with some smoke support, as it can use the koalas to trigger mines as it approaches so it can pulzar the lot of them. Though given the levels of obnoxious TAK's midfield is you may be better off ignoring the team and just popping smoke in front of them if you need to move past them and focus on taking down other targets.

E-Warden and loricus like this.
  19. inane.imp

It's designed not to fight the ARO unless you really need to. If you need to fight the ARO you do it with the Heckler or you set up Mines with the Zero and then fork the link.

If you need to fight a SSL2 ARO MML2 Reaktion is your go to not the Intruder. That fight ends up better in most circumstances.

Edit: in hindsight I should have explained that. :(

#99 inane.imp, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    loricus and Tourniquet like this.
  20. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Never fight anything with an Intruder that can fight back. If they can crit you on 2's, they will.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation