1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combined Army Color Scheme Ideas?

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Golem2God, Jan 26, 2018.

?

What do you think would be a good main color?

1. Red

9.3%
  2. Blue

11.6%
  3. Yellow

7.0%
  4. Green

18.6%
  5. Orange

11.6%
  6. Purple

30.2%
  7. Black

39.5%
  8. White

23.3%
  9. Other

4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

As the title suggests, I've been trying out & looking at different paint schemes for the small Onyx force I'm currently building. However, nothing has clicked with me yet. So I decided to ask you fellow Combined Army players what you think would be a good choice for me to try out. Whether it's the current scheme for your Combined Forces or maybe even colors you have chosen for a different faction. Any suggestions are welcomed including pictures, links or just explanations.

P.S. I'm thinking of giving each species it's own color scheme. For example, having the Umbras painted differently from the Shasvastii, Morats, Sygmaa (Tohaa), Ur units. What are your opinions on this idea?

2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I went with a mix of green and yellow as the organic parts for my Unidrones to make them kinda like vegetables when it comes to create their organic base. Then I went for a base of clear red for one Xeodron and clear orange for the other, with a wash or a darker red over both (because they are too beefy, so clone vats of meat parts). My aspects, however, go for a varied scheme I would like to change in the case of the Skiavoros (he goes with lots of orange, yellow and reds) and a cold and dark selection for the Charontid, but if I were to give them a unified color scheme I would go with blues and whites, with some greens, looking for a ghost theme.

My reasoning is that the Unidrones are cannon fodder (and need to be hybernated, require little food, etc...), the Xeodrones and Overdrones are high-perfomance weapons platforms with terror in mind, and the Aspects I prefer them as disturbing rather than brutish (which is the way the official color scheme CB has given them inspires me).

Golem2God likes this.
  3. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

My idea for CA was to have a single color that tied them all together, but have each race have a different color to differentiate them. Personally, I like the Jolly Roger Studios color scheme (Dark Grey/Almost Black armor with violet flesh bits on the 'drons and teal glow on the weapons).

I've only started painting my Unidrons, but a bunch of my models are already primed black, so I intend to use that as the unifying color (and apply it to the majority of the armor, for all troops). I have a slightly more purplish look for the fleshy bits of my 'drons, but each race will have it's own range of skin tones (thinking of mixing it up a bit), and the weapon highlighting will depend on what kind of ammo it fires (bluish for plasma, reddish for normal, etc.). CCW are a thing I need to think about as well. I like the idea of tying the color to its "ammo" type, as it could help both me and my opponent in game.

Golem2God likes this.
  4. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

Black&Blue with red details is mine scheme choice.

Attached Files:

Golem2God and Sabin76 like this.
  5. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

Black in black for the Unidron - they will look like Alien.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Golem2God likes this.
  6. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

I went with yellow and a very dark grey for the armour on my MAF, still working out most of the other colours though.

I was struggling to find a good colour scheme, so ended up googling loads of insects and ended up basing my theme on hornets. Might help you as nature can be a great source of colour schemes.

Golem2God likes this.
  7. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

When in doubt I always resort to the Halloween theme (black with orange highlights).

TheEmptyRoad and Golem2God like this.
  8. DruidNei

DruidNei Well-Known Member

My MAF will have very dark green armour (P3 Cryx Bane Base). I'm still working on suitable reddish-brown for trousers. As this is MAF, I'll go with red skin and some red accents on the armour. I'm planning Martian bases done using GW technical paints. For now scheme is still very much WIP. I've only started some test models, but base colour looks promising.

I haven't done any REMs for CA yet, but I always entertained the idea of painting the organic parts as realistic muscles for extra creepiness.

Golem2God likes this.
  9. krossaks

krossaks Well-Known Member

It deppens, for Ur stuff the Onix style black and Red ( but also changing red for radioctive green sounds good) but for Shasvastii on my onix contact force a cold low grew + purpure by the armor. And i'm yet not convinced about how to pain morats, being all Onix morata very armoured models but probably dark blue with some red detail to make them fit with Ur stuff.

Ofc Umbras black red at sith style with a skull white mask ( too edgy to resist)

Golem2God likes this.
  10. Golem2God

I have been thinking about doing that as well. Do you have any ideas or links on how to get that realistic muscle look?
    I'm currently trying something very similar just without the skull mask. A shade of red with dark gray/grey and some white.

Everyone's suggestions are great but it will take awhile to try them all out. So keep the colors schemes coming. I'm sure this thread will eventually reveal which color combo each species/race of alien should be.

11. DruidNei

DruidNei Well-Known Member

I had this saved from my previous searches. I'm not sure if I could make this work. My painting skill is still rather low.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1227-painting-muscles-updated

Another idea for colour scheme:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#11 DruidNei, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Ginrei and Golem2God like this.
  12. Golem2God

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1227-painting-muscles-updated
    As is my painting skills but the only way to get better is to keep trying over again.
    That could very well be the color scheme I'm looking for my Ur units. Thank you very much for the link and picture. Now if I can figure out a scheme for Morats that will be great. Shasvastii and Sygmaa are on the back burner until I get there units for Onyx but any ideas for them are appreciated.

13. Mattman

Mattman Fenix, Defender of Aiur

My whole CA army has a mostly Onyx colour scheme. Lots of blacks and greys with red and silver accents. I feel like the writers intended those of us from the EI to be the 'bad guy' of the story (which is of course wrong, we're benevolent liberators at heart) so I went full on dark and evil looking, as best I could.

Sabin76 and Golem2God like this.
  14. Gwaernydd

Gwaernydd Well-Known Member

thats exactly what i was trying to contrast, painting my Morats' armour mainly white, with ochre markings. the problem is, i only got the dudes painted until now, who are armoured up to their buttholes, but now i should paint the rest with their faces sticking out, and i dont know what colour to use for the skin, and especially the hair...:weary:

Golem2God likes this.
  15. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

unclesrouce and Golem2God like this.
  16. Golem2God

I really like this one. The green, metal and flesh/muscle coloring all fits together well. I might try to replicate that for my Shasvastii. Any tips you can give me to accomplish recreating this color scheme?

17. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I use a stale black & orange with some cyan bits. It's very fitting but a bit typical.

Golem2God likes this.
  18. smog

smog Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The metal is done with just a GW druchi purple ink over silver with silver highlights.

The green is vallejo's lime green.

The muscle is prime white, a few layers of GWs red wash and a layer or two of GWs ogryn flesh wash. Its really simple really

#18 smog, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Golem2God likes this.
  19. Golem2God

You are right about it being simple. Makes it all the more easy to recreate this on my end. Thank you for answering my inquiry. Looks like I need to pick up a few paints this month to accomplish this task.

20. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Would GW's Druchii Violet work for the purple wash, or would it need to be a purple ink?

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation