1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brainstorming CA terrain

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Aspect Graviton, May 15, 2019.

1. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

So recently I picked up the Deep Cut studio Aleph mat with the intention of creating a CA base/ship board.

I've had a variety of ideas to this end such as a Unidron production facility, a Hungries/Taigah enclosure, Morat barracks. but I'm not really sure what I can do in those regards so I thought I'd throw it open to the hive mind for some inspiration, any ideas? Any terrain ranges that scream Technologically advanced aliens at you?

Currently I'm looking at some of the TT combat halo inspired stuff which has some potential but only goes so far. The Warsenal morat terrain is nice but is also intended as a trench board and costs a kidney to get in the UK, otherwise it's mostly going to have to be homebrew.

Lesh' and RobertShepherd like this.
  2. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

I actually think the GW Tau line of terrain would work with an Infinity aesthetic. It has a hi-tech feel to it. Costs a lot though.
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Tidewall-Shieldline

I could see Morat buildings being ugly concrete and metal prefab jobs. Purely functional.

3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Well, for Morat I would look at Klingon aesthetics, not purely "ugly and functional", but go for whatever you can craft, of course.

As for "mixing" Morat and Shasvastii, I'd say no. For what I have read until now, they go their ways, live at their home, and go to work to the CA office only when forced to, so only an Onyx encampment would have shas & morat living at the same place, and it's likely those camps will either be temportal or UR-themed.

For vanilla, I would go with that UR-style, but I'm partial to millennia-old middle-eastern architecture :p

Aspect Graviton likes this.
  4. Aspect Graviton

Warcor

Well I've dropped in an order this morning with my local, gone with the aforementioned TT- Sci Fi bits and some of the Micro Arts "Hive Spawning Pits" as my aforementioned bug nest, I'll also be branching into more of the Tau esq terrain (because it's curvy) going to go with a unified style on the buildings as per Xagroths point and it's all going to get painted in my usual sinister metallic purple.

Further suggestions welcome.

5. zagdag

zagdag Split box orphan

The Taugak morat trenches go really well with the Ghar terrain from Beyond the Gates of Antares. As for Ur looking or generic CA stuff: most of the pictures look to be fancy plating over a mess of tubes and goo. I think this could be accomplished by either plasticard or hard shell toys (like nerf guns or starwars ships) that have been taken apart and cut to shape. Make a layer of hotglue and guitar cable on a blank of foamcore, then place the toy shell over it leaving just a .5" around the edges. Top heavy structures that look like Imatrons could also be accomplished by adding the simmilar biological mess to some exisitng cricular shapes.

Of course, all this is much more work than just buying stuff, but so comsider thrift shop toys, cut and re assembled even without the goo aspect. You can make a jedi star fighter into a few buildings at ~$4

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Aspect Graviton likes this.
  6. Aspect Graviton

Warcor

I was actually looking at the Ghar stuff which is made by sarissa on behalf of warlord but it seems to be out of production unfortunately.

May have to go with stripped down hard shells

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation