1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suppressive Fire: Who, What, Where, When, and Why?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by MikeTheScrivener, May 19, 2019.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

At the expense of losing a bunch of range.

Remember, Suppression Fire has it's own range bands, which is what makes SMGs so broken.

LaughinGod likes this.
  2. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

If you are losing a bunch of range, that's because you were leaving your trooper out in the open, where it could've been picked up by several enemies simultaneoulsy using a Coordinated Order.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It is never at the expense of range, it is only at expense of an order. You can always declare an ARO without Suppression Fire and this will cancel the state and give you back your range.

BLOODGOD, ChoTimberwolf and McNamara like this.
  4. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I probably should have added that you don't care about the range too. Like on a very cluttered table. Though there are times when I just want the -3 to be hit. I know my opponent is far away, has short range weapons, and I have Mimetisim or TO/ODD. I'm willing to let let them try shooting at -12 while he sits there and keeps spitting bullets.

Also, I tend to only use Suppression with the last few orders that I feel I can't do much with anyway. "Well I can't get in touch with the objective, so might as well stay in cover and do this."

Abrilete likes this.
  5. Mahtamori

Just be aware that if your opponent is further away than 24", your declaration fails and your soldier will Idle providing no malus to your opponent.

Abrilete likes this.
  6. bloodw4ke

bloodw4ke Well-Known Member

Depends on the table/opponent, but with Onyx I've had good luck using unidrons in SF.

For example, if I really need to hold an area, I'll move a five 'dron link into position, break to put two K1 'drons into SF, and then reform a core w/ the 3 others. If you can get about mid-field it's a very difficult position to dig out, as it's ARO hell with dogged, and a waste of orders to try and break it with hax.

MikeTheScrivener likes this.
  7. Kraken1130

Kraken1130 Well-Known Member

Vassily T2 marksman rifle with his Lt. order - it makes for a nasty road block, and I usually build my lists with at least 5 veterans (usually a Frontovik/Vet Kazak team) and CoC as insurance because Vassily almost never survives the whole game.

8. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Zeroes. -6 to hit after range bands, watching a ~16" firelane are extremely solid roadblocks for their points. Particularly effective vs opponent's which will clear them out trivially otherwise (Warbands / Sensor or Sniffer Bots).

I also often co-ord in Puppetmasters or similar that sit in my backline. Not because it's a great option but because if I'm using a Co-ord order anyway it's basically free and it covers vs Rambos or AD.

daboarder and Abrilete like this.
  9. Space Ranger

FYI you don't need to break the link and reform it. Just put them were you want them and putting them in suppression is enough to drop them out. or moving the rest of the team far enough away they they drop out of the link as well.

10. Mahtamori

Didn't we get confirmation on that the intention was for you to not be able to do this without first cancelling the Fireteam?

11. inane.imp

It doesn't work without breaking the Fireteam anyway.

1. Activate the link
    2. Spend regular Order
    3. Identify Team Leader, declare Suppression Fire.
    4. AROs
    7. Resolution
    8. Team Leader enters the Suppression Fire state. Team Leader fails Fireteam Integrity and drops from the Fireteam. Fireteam breaks.

Suppression Fire is a Support Skill (This classification includes the Skills not specified in the previous classifications) and only the Team Leader applies the effects of Support Skills.

So I see no reason why you can't declare it without first dissolving the Fireteam. The only difference is to allow you opponent to ARO vs any model in the Fireteam.... so I don't know why you would.

meikyoushisui and Mahtamori like this.
  12. Mahtamori

I think we had a fairly long debate on the topic, fairly heated as well, where I recall the conclusion was that not even if you use Coordinated Orders are you supposed to be allowed to declare this without breaking the team.

13. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

I dont know why youd drag Coords into it.

You cant declare a coord on a link at all.

Lesh' likes this.
  14. inane.imp

We agree that fundamentally you can't resolve it without breaking the team. Practically the best way to do it is to break the team first, so everyone should always do it that way.

With co-ords my memory is the same as yours that you can't Co-ord a member of a Fireteam. But the FAQ doesn't say exactly that...

15. Space Ranger

Anyone that does something different than the rest of the team drops out. As long as the leader and the rest of the team do the same thing they just move along. Majority rules as long as you don't have the team leader do something different then it's fine.

16. Mahtamori

That's what we're getting at; it's impossible to get any member into Suppression Fire while others remain in the Fireteam due to how models are activated. Read @inane.imp post above for a detailed explanation on why.

17. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

It should be noted that at least on the wiki under Fireteam Integrity, the ruling from version 1.2 is still on the page above the FAQ 1.5 ruling. You could definitely come to the conclusion that fireteam members can be part of a coordinated order if you stop reading at the 1.2 box.

18. Space Ranger

I never said they could maintain a fireteam. Any in a fireteam that does something that is different from the majority of the team and not the link leader will drop out of the team.

In Dahshat, I’ve had the Rui Shi move along with the team it’s in but then so far away it’s no longer a part of the team with the next order. If a team model is not within 8inches of the team leader they are no longer a part of the team. Then I may or may not reform the team with another bounty hunter.

19. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Er, isn't that only in the Reactive Turn?

inane.imp likes this.
  20. inane.imp

Yes, it's only reactive. In active, everyone declares the same skill as the Team Leader and if they can't perform it they perform an Idle instead.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation