1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best datatracker sectorial/vanilla

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Doa, May 15, 2019.

1. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

Hi guys, reading the batrep from russian satellite I find myself thinking about how poor is my knowledge about varuna and Asa. And then I think about past choice made in MO and neo about datatracker.
    Which is the best datatracker for each sectorial? And for vanila?
    Cheers

2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

There's a few different ways to use Datatrackers these days. These are the ones I've used in the past, with decent results.

Acon:
    Stay alive in the midfield:
    Linked ORC, Guarda, Drakios, either of the TAGs,

Kill a Civvie or 1 Wound enemy:
    Tikbalang, Linked Regular LGL, Drakios

Survive in the backfield:
    Linked Acon Regular.

VIRD:
    Linked ORC, Linked Patsy, Zapper Squalo

Linked Fusilier LGL, Squalo HGL

Linked Fusiliers.

NCA:
    Linked Aquila FTO, Squalo

Linked Fusilier LGL, Squalo HGL, Locust

Linked CSU, Linked Fusilier, or Linked Black Friar (if you're okay not using him for much except laying Drop Bears and hiding.)

Note that if you're going second, you don't really need a "durable" Datatracker in missions like Frostbyte or Acquisition. You have a lot of control over scoring if you go second in missions like that, and often a simple 1-Wound Light Infantry can get the job done just as well as a big Heavy Infantry unit. But when you need a Datatracker to survive an opponent's turn before scoring happens, having a multiple Wounds/Structure/ARM can help. As noted in a recent discussion though, high ARM and defense isn't always great... Sometimes you'll want to spend those points on more Orders or other units instead, who can help clear a path or provide defense. There are a lot of variables here, so it's tough to simply say "this one unit is best."

#2 barakiel, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Yeah, sometimes you just want some basic Fusilier to be the Datatracker.
    Just because it spreads the aggro to one extra guy instead of consolidating it all onto a giant target on your most important troop's back.

If you have a TAG people will want to kill it anyway. If that TAG is also the Lt you better have a good plan to defend it. If you bring something like a Jotum Lt and then make him your Datatracker you just handed your opponent an efficient path to beat you.
    Everything in Infinity is mortal, distracting your opponent from trying to hunt your Fusilier Lt by giving him some reasonable bait like a well protected but obvious Datatracker is often more important than slapping that Datatracker label on your most durable troop.

The other way to go about is to have enough of an ARO presence and Order tarpits to avoid having to deal with that. But you can never cover all your bases. An Impersonator, Shinobu and a Squalo HGL are very different threats and require different countermeasures.

4. xammy

xammy Keeper of Random Facts and Strong Opinions

I played frostbyte last week against CHA with my VIRD Squalo HGL list. My usual plan is to go with the durable option like the Squalo, but I realized he had enough tools in his list to capitalize on my Squalo's main weakness, CC. So I ended up hiding my VIRD machinist on a rooftop to be used as my datatracker.

This situation I was in really made me think about how I choose datatrackers. Sometimes you have to change up what you think is the best option because the opponent has a great counter. All that to say, what is your plan B datatracker? That can sometimes be important.

barakiel likes this.
  5. barakiel

@xammy
    I think that's exactly the kind of proactive, dynamic decision making that you need. That kind of flexibility is really important for ITS play, and is a big part of what makes Infinity such a fun system. You don't just follow the same strategy or gameplan every round... You make decisions based on the matchup and the mission. That's a great example of what @Teslarod 's describing.

daboarder and xammy like this.
  6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Ill give an odd choice for NCA but I use Aida a lot for this.

ChoTimberwolf and xammy like this.
  7. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

A Special shoutout needs to go to Joan.

As a 2W NWI HI, thats good at CC and shooting, with access to likability and the chance to go prone shes the strongest Data Tracker in PanO.

Hardest to kill and most likely to achieve what she sets out to do.

So for Vanilla and MO shes a serious consideration

barakiel likes this.
  8. daboarder

Warcor

As an aside I really like barakiels breakdown, but Id also like to add a caveat.

If keeping the DT alive is sufficiently important, then I think a linked HI is a serious consideration, even if it spends the whole game in the backfield its an insurance policy against a rambo/lucky roll/Assasination attempt/Spec fire, that a 1W trooper just doesnt have

barakiel likes this.
  9. Chade

Chade Member

You are not alone here. She is tough nut to crack when in corner surrounded by Viral mine or two and shooting wildly around herself in Suppressive Fire. In NCA I've also considered Deva because of NWI. CSU can be nice and cheap alternative especially if you happen to roll something like NWI or Total Immunity. He can protect himself somewhat with Sixth Sense L1 also. Last one to consider is just blunt Swiss Guard HMG. Sure you lose marker state and HD, but it's hard to find tougher piece to move outside TAGs when he bunkers up.

Btw I really like Black Friar idea. He can both mine the shit out of terrain around his bunker and can see through smoke if your opponent tries to get clever and smuggle some cc-beast to hack your good knight to pieces.

10. Doa

Doa Well-Known Member

Last game my datatracker was bf in bolt Haris, but probably my choose wasn't right. I can't use properly the Haris for fear to lose my dt

barakiel likes this.
  11. daboarder

Warcor

Yeah, I know I for one like my Haris to be a flexible but disposable tool that can advance but has enough defense to hold against all but the most concerted attacks.

Putting a DT in there (unless the DT needs to move/kill a specific target) is not something id recommend, mostly because anything like that which can fit in a haris can probably fit just as easily in a core

12. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Having a disposable rambo or heat seeking Missile as offensive Datatracker is often the way to go as far has killing Designated Targets, Datatrackers and other key models is concerned.

Defensive Datatrackers are usually just what you can defend best without negative impact on the performance of your list.

13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the Montesa Datatracker?

14. barakiel

Yeah, the Montessa works too. I think getting cover is important, but obviously the speed, mimetism, big range of combat tools is nice too. Good one.

15. Death By Monkeys

Death By Monkeys Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I like the Montesa with MultiRifle as a DataTracker. That B3 to put him in suppressive really helps keep him alive since you can't get cover with him.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation