1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tohaa - worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by TehVanguard, May 9, 2019.

1. TehVanguard

TehVanguard Member

Hi guys,

I'm soon to be a new player around my area. I've took a look at all of the factions and there were few that took my eye:

1. Tohaa
    2. Tunguska Sectorial
    3. Yu Jing
    4. Spiral Corps

Now, Tohaa is on top if the list by a big margin. However, I've read that the future of Tohaa as a faction is an unsure one, and they might be discontinued completely at some point, with no new releases whatsoever.

I have an opportunity to buy Tohaa 300 pts pack for circa $70 and I wonder if it is worth. Does Spiral Corps (new faction, I know) have better prospects for future or is a good starting point? Or if I don't want my faction to be unsupported at some point I should go for a different faction completely?

Thanks a lot for advice!

Cothel, Abrilete, melkiach and 3 others like this.
  2. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

Basically if you buy Tohaa, you can also play Spiral Corps, since it is a sectorial one that gives you the opportunity to be played only with Tohaa miniatures,

Tohaa is still a good army with good miniatures, and that they have discontinued much of Tohaa does not mean that the faction will disappear in the short term

3. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Firstly Welcome to Infinity :) I hope you enjoy your stay!!!

Overall I think it's worth while getting into. $70 for the back sounds reasonable. The Spiral Corps pack units are all available in vanilla though with fewer options. Definitely playable.

Things to be concerned about with Tohaa is their "models" have been discontinued. All profiles and the army itself is still playable and will be playable. They just aren't getting updates/additions soon. If you are looking to get into them you'll need to find stores that still stock Tohaa models if you would like to have the official models represent your force. You can easily convert the 300pt models to be some vanilla pieces. Infinity is pretty open about conversions/proxies so a strict WYSIWYG can be hard and impossible to achieve in some circumstances.

If you are considering buying into Vanilla Tohaa I strongly recommend getting Makauls, Gao Rael (spitfire and sniper combo), Sukeul and Nikoul. These units are great and really complement the vanilla faction. The TAG looks nice though I'm not a big fan of it's rules its definitely playable.

The down side to getting into Tohaa though is that I would not expect any changes/addition to them soon. They are playable and strong but as time goes on and other factions get new toys it can feel like you're being left behind playing with the same toys.

Good luck I hope this helps with making an informed choice

4. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

70$ is a very good price for the 300 points box, and many of the models in that box will get used frequently. The problem, as pointed by @Thaddius , is that currently all the Vanilla-only Tohaa models are discontinued, so it might be a little bit difficult to complete your collection.

The 300 point box gives you (in parenthesis, rate of usage Tohaa lists):
    - 3x Kamael (used from time to time to fill Triads)
    - Clipsos (frequently used)
    - Sakiel (average use)
    - Ectros (used rarely)
    - Nikoul (average use)
    - Kotail (used rarely)
    - 4x Makaul (frequently used)
    - 2x Kaeltar (frequently used)

If you plan to play the NA2 Sectorial, consider that from that list you can only use one Kaeltar and the Clipsos, so the 300 point Tohaa box is a bad starting point.

On the other hand, for Vanilla Tohaa the box is a good start and can be easily expanded with a few blisters and boxes: Sukeul, Gao-Rael, Gao-Tarsos, Dilomatic Delegate, Kosuil, Neema Saatar, Chaksa Auxiliars and Kaauri Sentinels.

5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

And kaeltar preceptors (only source of smoke).

Bear in mind, @TehVanguard , that the units present in the Spiral Corps army will remain in production, at least for now (this includes Chaksas, Kaauri, Diplmatic Delegate, Neema, Kaeltars...).

TehVanguard and Abrilete like this.
  6. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    If you plan to pick the mixed route (playing both Tohaa and Spiral Corps), some models that are playable in both armies and can help you expand the 300 points box are:
    - Rasail Boarding Team
    - Kerail Preceptors
    - Kaauri Sentinels
    - Chaksa Auxiliars
    - Igao
    - Kosuil
    - Diplomatic Delegate
    - Neema Saatar
    - Cube Jäger

#6 Abrilete, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  7. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

The 300 point box is a fantastic deal for anyone interested in getting into Tohaa. If Tohaa is the army you have the most interest in then you should jump on the box while you can.

TehVanguard, Abrilete and melkiach like this.
  8. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

In all I feel like there are many different reasons to play a particular army, so I wanted to provide a few different angles to consider:

Tohaa has had most of its SKU discontinued with not indication yet on when they will be put back into production, so the minis would be a bit more difficult to track down. Spiral Corps and Tunguska are new factions, but the bulk of their units have miniatures, so releases for them will be sparse. Yu Jing is a faction with pretty regular support of some kind, (even if it is just resculpts of older models).

The 300 point box has a lot of useful units in it for Vanilla Tohaa and nearly all of those minis are no longer being produced, so is a great deal for $70. Only two of the units in the 300 point Tohaa box are available in Spiral Corps without proxying.

Yu Jing has access to most rules in the game, so more diverse play style combinations can be utilized with them. Tohaa have a lot of unique rules which no army, (other than Spiral), has access to, and really are only limited in play style by their lack of hacking. Spiral and Tunguska are sectorial style armies, so they have more limited and specialized play styles with bonuses provided by Fireteams or mercenary options.

For me it was a matter of which army had the minis I most enjoyed the look of. This was before many of the new resculpts had happened, so I settled on Tohaa, as I liked their models the most, and could see myself collecting and using the entire range of minis.

9. borings

borings Well-Known Member

Its prolly also worth noting that proxying is totally acceptable in infinity, even in tournaments. So even if you dont run ectros from the 300 point box, you could still use it as a sukeul or gao rael if you wanted. I think the thing people seem to prioritize is consistency in proxying, and also having them painted. With that in mind, $70 for the 300 box is a great deal, and completley worth it, as long as you actually like the look of those minis.

10. TehVanguard

TehVanguard Member

Thank you all for your inputs!!!

I've decided to bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered - as @Thaddius suggested - beside the 300 pts box, Sukeul and Gao-Rael as well.

Pic: https://imgur.com/a/ufUn46q

Will use the incoming weekend to have some painting done :)

11. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

12. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Welcome, we will gladly help you crush the enemies of our...eh to have fun <3

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation