1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wuxia tropes

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, May 7, 2019.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Section9 and Space Ranger like this.
  2. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Wuxia tropes are exactly what I've wanted in Yu Jing for a loooong time. Kind of why I get irritated that the Close Combat is not as good anymore and most of it was the Japanese when we had it! Then the Nomads got the Monkey King! :( Well now for Dahshat I have Bai Hu, The White Tiger of the West (McMurough)!

Mahtamori likes this.
  3. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Agreed, there could be a lot more epicness in YJ. Even if it's just a lot more CC-capable units in YJ.

Especially since most of the YJ member nations have their own rendition and tradition of wuxia. The Koreans have it, the Mongolians have it, the Thai have it, etc. I'm sure the Vietnamese have it, but I don't personally know of any such stories (being American, not many Vietnamese folks locally telling stories from the Old Country, for the most part they have rapidly adopted American culture).

One of my favorite pencil&paper RPGs is Qin:The Warring States, set in ancient China just before Qin Shi Huangdi united the place, and that game is all about the wuxia. Even uses a black d10 and a white d10 to determine success or failure of an action (subtract the two results, the difference is what you add to the stat+skill total. Doubles is a crit success, double 0s is a crit fail. If you roll white high in combat, add that to your damage, but otherwise it doesn't matter which die is high).

Space Ranger likes this.
  4. Space Ranger

I just read that game! I love it! Especially the Harmony dice. Such a great way to get a philosophy into a game mechanic! I'd love to read some Wuxia in a Sci-fi setting.

BTW if anyone wants to read some free Wuxia novels go here Wuxiaworld.com

5. Forté

Forté Well-Known Member

Need Fong Sai Yuk and IP Man.

Space Ranger likes this.
  6. Forté

Forté Well-Known Member

How did I forget about that Wuxia legend. Wong Fei Hung.

7. Space Ranger

but IP Man and Hung are historical. For me, Wuxia is very fantastical. I hate to say it but The Matrix comes close to an Infinity type Wuxia.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Hulang is close, so very bloody close, to being an awesome Wuxia

9. Space Ranger

Close but no cigar as they say.

Mahtamori likes this.
  10. Zerooness

Zerooness Member

A good plot could evolve about a unit/character that fights for yujing but actually infiltrated it because he is in search for a spezific Daofei he has to kill. why? you know why :P

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation