1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bostria Challenge Spiral Corps - WWYD?

Discussion in 'Spiral Corps' started by WarHound, Apr 19, 2019.

1. WarHound

WarHound Well-Known Member

So here's the rub:

I'll be taking part in a 'beginner friendly' ITS event, the first in our new home store, in a couple of weeks.
    In order to 'level the field' so to speak, veteran players are being encouraged to play unusual or 'funsies' lists, and I plan on taking the Coral Corps box, Bostria Challenge-style!

To that end, I will take just the one list, an 'all comers' list tailored to no specific missions, and the rules for it are simple:

1. Use all models in the Spiral Corps box.
    2. All models are WYSIWYG.
    3. Make up to 300pts using other boxes/blisters.

I've made the following using 2 of the 4 Kauuri Sentinels (since the box is a repack of 2 blisters I feel vindicated in taking only 2) and disregarding the Hatail Spec-Ops (since it's a preorder special so wouldn't be in the box normally):

Bostria Challenge
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    TAAGMA (Tri-Core) Breaker Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 21)
    DRAAL (Minelayer) Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 31)
    DRAAL (Minelayer) AP Marksman Rifle, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 40)
    CLIPSOS (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 25)
    KRIIGEL Lieutenant Breaker Combi Rifle + Smoke Light Grenade Launcher / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    REEX Boarding Shotgun, Contender, Nanopulser / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 13)
    REEX (Marksmanship L1) K1 Marksman Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 20)
    REEX Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1 | 17)
    KIEL-SAAN (Special Fireteam: Triad) Red Fury, Panzerfaust / Heavy Pistol, DA CC Weapon, Shock CC Weapon. (1 | 53)
    KIIUTAN Submachine Gun + E/Mitter / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]2
    KAAURI Sentinel Submachine Gun, 2 Nanopulsers, Nullifier / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 12)
    KAAURI Sentinel Boarding Shotgun, Nullifier / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 15)
    6 SWC | 300 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Given the rules of the handicap, what do people think, and what would they do differently?

As an aside, why does the Reex marksman look like is has MSV on it's model, but doesn't on the profile :triumph:

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  2. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

If its against beginners an impersonator could be kinda mean everything else seems fine to me

Abrilete likes this.
  3. WarHound

With a 'proper' Impersonator like a Fiday or Speculo i'd agree sure, but in keeping with the theme at least the Imposter is, like, a 'bad' Impersonator.

I'll be used as an introduction to Impersonators, as i'll be playing newbies in an instructional way, but then try to play 'properly' against the vets.

4. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

I like the idea !
    So struggling to fit a good list for tournament i might end it like this lol

5. Fearbox

Fearbox Active Member

I like the list.

Watch who you drop the Dazer against as it can change a game really fast if a opponent is not used to it.

Also the DraaL AP MR in a Tricore is one of the Best offensive pieces in the game IMO.

WarHound likes this.
  6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

because
    isn’t real. :scream:

Lots of profiles end up with “The model isn’t shown holding a weapon that contradicts what I’m claiming it is” as the WYSIWYG standard. :no_mouth:

meikyoushisui likes this.
  7. WarHound

Yeah Solkan, but with stuff that has a Combi for example, i'll only be using loadouts that have a combirifle. That makes it as easy as possible for opponents to determine what they are (one exception is the Impostor as the model is holding a pistol, and all profiles have that).

I 'get' that people will proxy profiles based on what isn't seen rather than what is, but I'm genuinely looking to use the models as what they represent rather than what they could be, if that makes sense.

The Reex Marksman, compared to the other 2 Reex models, seems to be a gross oversight. Maybe it was originally meant to have a visor, then they opted not to give it one after the sculpts had already been finalised.
    Regardless, it bugs when minis are sculpted with stuff they DEFINITELY don't have (and iirc this is the 1st Infinity mini I've seen like that).

8. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

It's better than the Kerail. The miniature doesn't have Symbiont Armor, but the profile does.

Abrilete and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  9. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Not only he looks like he has some kind of Visor, he also has an ammo belt like the one on the Neurotic Chaksa.

My guess is that the profile used to be wildly different during beta-testing and was modified later in the process. And, as usual when it comes to Tohaa, they didn't care to change the model to match the profile.

ChoTimberwolf, WarHound and Cothel like this.
  10. -Ghost-

-Ghost- Shalashaska

Is this a thing? Because that's actually fun.

If it is geared towards more casual play I would not take the SMG profile on the Impersonator. Would also probably not bring the Tricore and both Minelayer profiles.

This is all assuming it's being played against people with little to no experience.

inb4 "What am I supposed to fight them with?"
    6s1f0txg1qz11.png

What I wish the Chaksa Longarms were.

WarHound and Abrilete like this.
  11. WarHound

I gotta stress that while it's an event designed for newer or beginner players, a lot of the prospectives are actually circuit vets!

I'm looking for something where I can play hard ball (or at least try to!) against the vets, but then play softer ('forgetting' to use minelayer etc) vs the newer players. =)

I think based on the responses it'll be ok.

Also: Kudos to @-Ghost- for the WC3 reference ^-0

-Ghost- and Abrilete like this.
  12. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Just as a side note, but Kiituan Imposter is not a "bad" Impersonator. I'd actually rate it more effective than Fidays, especially the SMG profiles.
    Please don't expect this, or imply to new people that they should do that. It's a silly, silly expectation, and not even veterans can do that correctly.

13. WarHound

Compared to the Speculo Killer or Fiday profiles, the Kiiutan trades off any form of melee proficiency and Multiterrain, for an additional wound (symbiont) and a greater chance to dodge.
    In my eyes, the combat doctrine twixt the two types of Impersonator is very different; the former two are designed to eliminate one target, and probably die doing so. The latter is designed to be a durable thorn in the enemy side.

I'm going to stress that the target playerbase at the event are not new, but rather beginners. This means they have a fair few games under their belt and understand how to play already, but for the sake of simplicity i'm looking to use profiles that are represented by their models as faithfully as possible.
    The reality will be that most of the players are veterans anyway (seeing as all we have done is move from one locale to another nearby one), and especially with the Spiral Corps box it should be easier for opponents to identify the new models that way.

And what is wrong with expecting a loadout to be represented faithfully? As per the proxy rules nowadays you're obliged to use things of similar shape and of the same Silhouette, and as per the game rules themselves open information must be shared at time of availability.

If I see an ORC with a feurbach I expect my opponent to tell me it's an ORC with a feurbach, unless they've already said it's something else. At least that way I can attribute that model and loadout with the profile they tell me.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  14. Nemo No Name

Combat doctrine is different, but it is no worse off for that. Speculos are indeed made to eliminate one target, but regular Fidays usually can't do that with high profile targets - they're similar to Kiiutan in that they're better at clearing up order support.
    Most players, even veterans, can barely recognise weapons from their factions. Sure, big weapon should be big weapon and small weapon should be small, but most weapons are hard to differentiate from distance anyway, and implying to beginners that they should be able to is a bad move.

ChoTimberwolf and Abrilete like this.
  15. WarHound

I don't think you're reading what I am saying the way it's meant @Nemo No Name , and i'll leave that conversation at that.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  16. Nemo No Name

17. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

@WarHound your first post where you are talking about the combi guy read like:
    If I see an ORC with a feurbach I expect my opponent to Know by looking at the gun and knowing what pano feurbachs look like it's an ORC with a feurbach (Bold is my interpretation)

Vs

If I see an ORC with a feurbach I expect my opponent to tell me it's an ORC with a feurbach, unless they've already said it's something else. At least that way I can attribute that model and loadout with the profile they tell me. (Bold is the key from you)

The first interpretation is what @Nemo No Name was calling rediclous and there are many vet players who feel this is a standard that should be met. Your second post clarified that wasnt the case, but still its worth noting that there is this expectation within some of the community that they shouldn't have to tell you what a model is and you should know looking at the weapon of every faction.

18. WarHound

In a game where proxying is officially ruled as totally cool and there is no expectation of WYSIWYG, I feel that the first example you've provided @Wombat85 is an unjustified expectation from the longer-serving players.

I've played a lot of ITS games in my time with Infinity, and whenever there's been proxies the user has always been very courteous and forthcoming in proactively explaining the proxy. Of course, I love that aspect of the community, but I was attempting to make it as easy as possible for newer players to learn weapon shapes if I played everything as WYSIWYG as possible. At least that way, in future games, they can say stuff like "oh, that guy with the combirifle has the SMG loadout yeah?", with some degree of confidence. =)

ChoTimberwolf, Wombat85 and Abrilete like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation