1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIRD against impersonators

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Seraphin, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Seraphin

Seraphin Well-Known Member

Extension of thread 'VIRD against camo'.

So how do I protect my stuff against Speculo impersonators? Let's assume that I have Cutter in marker state on the table I expect to get attacked.

2. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

why should I have a Cutter not in HD?
    And yes, I know, it's your Lt.
    But don't do that.
    The 5 man link has a good chance against him if you place him correctly, cause you will shoot at him at 18 or 19 back.

yoink101 likes this.
  3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Well-Known Member

Assuming Speculo has 1st turn^
    1) Don't put Cutter in marker, it's safe in HD
    2) discover. Discover a lot
    3) you can delay aros in your control area if you have six sense 1 (or 2, like in link)

Seraphin likes this.
  4. Seraphin

Nah, not really LT. Well sometimes you want to play with your TAG, no one said it's first turn. Seeing above 100 points missing and machinist running around it's not hard to figure out Cutter will reveal sooner or later. So you wait for it to reveal as CA player.

5. Ben Kenobi

Try to discover, place mines, whatever.
    If you don't (try) to kill the Fiday in your turn it's a fault.

Seraphin likes this.
  6. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Helots are a Speculo's worst nightmare. They block the minelayer option, should they choose to take that – they also dish out the pain with 3+ dice usually while remaining pretty safe in a marker state of their own

7. Ben Kenobi

8. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Don't forget that Jammer. An Impersonator should be worried about getting Isolated any time it breaks Stealth/Breaks Marker State in a VIRD DZ.

Pistols too. If an Impersonator goes after your heavy weapons *ahem ahem Kamau MSV2* then yank that sidearm and go to work.

9. Seraphin

I'm more afraid of situations where any other model (eg. sensor bot) manages to discover my cutter / other camo stuff and Speculo Killer or equivalent just does suicide run hoping to score the kill with first attack. I wonder if there is any viable tactic to avoid that or I just need to hide very well, throw some roadblocks and AROs for models supporting the impersonator and hope for the best.

10. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Hidden Deployment to nullify the risk Turn 1, then appropriate support after that. In terms of discussion, there's not much you can really do... Keep your MSV2 overwatch in place to help mitigate smoke, keep Jammer nearby to deter the Speculo "staging" for a big attack, and try to keep enemy Sensor away so that there's no easy Discover on the Cutter.

#10 barakiel, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Section9 and Seraphin like this.
  11. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

you can also always try and body-block your big units with smaller, cheaper units.

Seraphin likes this.
  12. volgo

volgo Usuario

Is it legal to keep a helot in reserve and then physically block the IMP (in a corner for example) with the 3 holo-echo marker?

13. Guardian

Guardian Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yup! That's a viable and clever tactic ;)

chromedog and volgo like this.
  14. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Doesn't even need a corner. With 3 guys you can pin against a single wall or unvaultable obstacle.

volgo and Phlyk like this.
  15. Ben Kenobi

Aren't three enough to make that even in the open?

16. Randomcallsign

Randomcallsign Well-Known Member

I love this idea. Too bad my usual Haqq opponent takes Saladin and negates my reserve abilities :(

17. Titus

Titus Varuna Beach Commando

That's a great idea. I'm taking note for future games against impersonators.

Judge Dredd, AdmiralJCJF and eciu like this.
  18. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

If a speculo or Fiday wants to get a kill, it’s got a pretty good chance of making it happen. Your objective is to make it cost as much as possible. If your jammer and a helot or two are covering your msv Kamau, the impersonator likely has one chance to accomplish anything. This means that the odds of your piece dying are probably around 50%. Maybe even less. Some may try to take out a fusilier or two, but that can have low odds of success for a 30+ point investment going against a 10 point model.

The minelayer speculo adds a whole new level of danger. But if you can deploy carefully, you can probably limit the mine’s hit to only 1-2 models. On the armor save, each fusilier or Kamau has a 35% chance to survive. Significantly higher if they dodge. But that minelayer is 1.5 SWC.

Anyway, my rambly, sleep deprived point is: if your opponent wants to kill something he’ll be able to. Do your best to mitigate the danger or make it cost your opponent more than it'sworth to remove a piece.

19. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

To add to this, the typical advice for dealing with any impersonator is that you pretty much cannot stop them from getting one kill.

But you can stop them from getting more than that, and you can make them work for getting the one kill.

mauriciorjbr, barakiel and yoink101 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation