1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tohaa Smoke Tactics

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by RobertShepherd, Apr 16, 2019.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Salutations, folks. A couple of people asked me to elaborate on some of the tactics I've described elsewhere that you can use with Tohaa's unique mix of eclipse smoke, normal smoke, and nimbus plus grenades. As such, please see attached! I hope it's useful to some people.

A Google Doc version for your convenience can also be found here.

(Please note that while I'd intended to export these as images and make a proper forum post, the software suite I have on my home PC makes that just tricky enough to be too much of a pain. However, if people think it'd be a good idea, I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Alternatively I'd happily take the assist if anyone wants to extract all the images themselves.)

Attached Files:

Einhorn, Golem2God, Usashi and 16 others like this.
  2. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Pretty sweet explanation for the tactics, I really should use smoke weaving more I am just fearing its a waste of orders but getting a whole fireteam through nimbus sounds like fun

Golem2God likes this.
  3. RobertShepherd

It's situational, but something that's good to know if you need it. Makauls are devastating in melee and only got more so with the last errata, so any way to reliably get them there is a good way of generating a savagely favorable engagement against most things in the game.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  4. Bellyflop

Bellyflop Well-Known Member

My only comment is you should have leaned into the alliteration more. Mischievous Makaul, Guileful Gao-Rael, etc

5. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Please don't.

I have some anecdotal proof, that recently a Makaul punched a Santiago knight in the face.

Opponents dodging out of your HFTs are pretty annoying, and can be order intensive, so the Nimbus grenade -6 to dodge is a pretty good solution, while also makes shooting the HFT wielders down harder as well.

Cool write up!

DustGod, ChoTimberwolf and Abrilete like this.
  6. WaywardSeeker

WaywardSeeker New Member

Thanks for putting that together! Very helpful

7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

A use for nimbus grenades? Not bad! Really does help with the general ineffectiveness of an active turn template

8. borings

borings Well-Known Member

I feel like this post deserves to be pinned. Smoke is so important for tohaa

Also, could i request a demo showing how to throw smoke safely on a board with no cover. Like 0 terrain. It involves starting prone behind a crescent moon of your own troops. I can explain more if you need me to

xagroth and RobertShepherd like this.
  9. RobertShepherd

I understand the concept - worked through it once as part of a hypothetical game with a friend on a zero terrain board. I'm not sure it's incredibly practical for general use, though - have you had many games where you've needed to use your own troops to obscure LOF?

borings likes this.
  10. borings

I do it quite often when going first. Just plop two triads directly in the middle, as far up as possible. It makes it harder for my cowardly opponents to hide their guys as far away as possible. It also has use on later turns, if you end up having a triad out in the open somehow

xagroth and RobertShepherd like this.
  11. borings

I do really like that with the kriigel having mirrorball, tohaa is truly the faction that has control over battlefield visibility.

Abrilete likes this.
  12. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

Well done man... I love tactic articles like this.
    It helps me visualize.

13. RobertShepherd

I'm going to have to play this a bit to get a feel for it. Mind actually spelling out the full execution of the way you play it, and how a turn might go that starts with it? It's purely theoretical for me.

14. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

in the second smoke (4th slide) you can just idle to force an ZoC ARO then move in melee

15. RobertShepherd

While true, this wouldn't make as useful a demonstration of weaving smoke, which is the point of the tutorial. Imagine Angus is in a four-man link if you like.

Abrilete likes this.
  16. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

This is hilarious, I had a good laugh scrolling through this =D
    Could someone explain me why Makauls suddenly got a lot better after the latest FAQ? I must've been living under a rock..

RobertShepherd likes this.
  17. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

You can force a change facing if you CC in smoke as long as another unit without Stealth activates in the same order. This is really strong for link teams with a mix of stealthy and non-stealthy units, which happens to be what most Triads containing Makauls are.

18. Ariez_Obann

Ariez_Obann New Member

Short question to the last example, Core Link guarantees Sixt Sense LV2, would not the link dodge normal against the Flamer?

19. RobertShepherd

No - sixth sense lets you ignore the penalty to dodging templates from outside your LOF, and ignore any penalties from responding to a BS attack through a zero vis zone, but has no interaction with low/poor vis zones, which is what the various types of nimbus generate.

So in the example, none of the fusiliers take any penalty from dodging a template they might not be able to see (in any case they can all see the makaul) but all of them take a -6 for dodging against an enemy against whom they are drawing LOF into a nimbus zone.

Einhorn and xagroth like this.
  20. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

I guess it is just a meta thing. In our group we quickly ruled out that if you activate a Triad with a non-Stealthy dude in it, opponent gets to react against that dude's activation.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation