1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Noise Ep76 - Shadows of the Triumvirate

Discussion in 'Spiral Corps' started by RobertShepherd, Apr 10, 2019.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Hey folks, if anyone is interested in listening to a whole bunch of opinions on Spiral Corps in podcast format - I did a thing with Ben from White Noise, who is awesome. Might be useful to some of the newer players especially.

Link below. :)

https://benandmarty.libsyn.com/76-shadows-of-the-triumvirate

Bragg, rheroux, barakiel and 7 others like this.
  2. Obeisance

Obeisance Well-Known Member

You're a great guest, Rob.

Well spoken, intelligent, insightful. I'm about halfway through the episode and by the end, I'm sure you'll convince me to put down the SEF and pick up SC.

DustGod and RobertShepherd like this.
  3. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Hey man, I finished listening to your episode this morning, it was great!
    I was badly looking forward to it as SC has been growing on me ever since the box came out.

Some really great insights for me as a complete Tohaa stranger.

Also your manner of talking and explaining was very relaxed, you seem like a great dude to play against.

Thanks for the time & effort!

ChoTimberwolf and RobertShepherd like this.
  4. Torres

Torres Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff! Thanks a lot :)

RobertShepherd likes this.
  5. spears

spears Well-Known Member

Great episode I would agree with the assessment of Spiral all round, maybe just with less optimism as to their overall power.

6. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

If I may, I really liked the idea of the Nikoul with the stratocloud for vanilla (and also how you used him in CanCon) - do you see Armand as useful in a similar way in Spiral? Is there a place for him here?

I was also curious how you didn’t mention the Rasail Boarding Team - it is a staple for our Tohaa players, is it maybe not strong in SC also?

Cheers!

7. RobertShepherd

I tried to fit Armand into so many lists before giving up on him. Ultimately he was just too expensive to fit in on the regular. However I'd strongly encourage people to see if they can make it work, because Armand in or behind a cloud could absolutely break some enemy advances.

As for the Rasail - I didn't mention them, you're right, but they're good and fine and should definitely be viable in Spiral. I found it very easy to fit a Taagma lieutenant in to triad with two chaksas as a defensive element, but a Rasail lieutenant is still tried and true and you only really need the single Kaeltar to insure against LoL.

8. gnyf

gnyf Professionel Carouser & Malingerer

Was a great episode, thanks for some great list building inspiration!

9. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

To me Rasail lieutnant make you earn one more usefull order (lieut order)

10. spears

spears Well-Known Member

If anything the rasail is probably a better choice in spiral than vanilla due to lower opportunity cost.

11. DustGod

DustGod Well-Known Member

@RobertShepherd
    Dude! I had no idea that was you!
    Not to "Jock" you too hard but 4th listen this morning on the way home... I have so many more questions. You're probably my favorite guest.

Mind Blown:scream:

I had the same Rasail thoughts...wondering if they are worth it
    It's so Weird man I've been listening to you since that Podcast Aired Awesome!
    :hushed: Screenshot_2019-04-11-19-42-20.png

12. RobertShepherd

That might be very slightly weird, my friend, but you do you :P

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  13. DustGod

Ha!
    No it's all about Spiral Corps and I wanted to retain as much info as I can...

I agree with everything... Except the Monstruckers mainly because you can pull Chaksa shenanigans and the Drop Bear. All hypothetical thoughts but I think about all the midfield control and think... Throwable landmine and his Remote objective grabbing Dodge monster might be cool..

@RobertShepherd
    What's the order of these events?
    Deployment
    MetaChemisrty Roll
    Deploying Symbiomates/Bombs
    Forming Triads

What's the 2 best Reserve models from Sprial?
    What's your feelings on Rasail in Spiral Corps?

Thanks ahead of time

14. RobertShepherd

1. Deploy all your models one at a time (note: there is usually no issue with re-deploying something midway through deployment if you change your mind about where it should go, but be aware that you should not change the position of a model with a rolled skill after you roll it, and obviously can't change your mind once you confirm deployment with your opponent and they start deploying)
    2. At the point you deploy your Kiel-Saan, roll for metachemistry. If you think you're going to re-deploy them because you haven't quite decided on their position, do not roll until you've decided for sure where they are. Then, roll metachemistry.
    3. At the point you deploy your Kaeltar, allocate the symbiomates to any eligible models already on the table (e.g. you can't give a symbiomate or bomb to your reserve drop)
    4. At any time up until it's time to deploy your reserve, you can measure zones of control to make sure your links are ok.
    5. Deploy your reserve

Triads can be formed at any time during deployment up until after your reserve model goes down. For example, you could deploy two chaskas and a taagma pretending to be a chaksa all within 8" of one another and then, later during your reserve step, form the triad.

Any impersonator that's in your list should be your reserve drop. Otherwise a Taagma sniper is a good choice, or any strong gunfighter if they aren't getting a symbiomate. Finally you could deploy a clipsos minelayer as your reserve drop to maximise how much damage the mine could do by predicting enemy lines of advance.

I like Rasails in spiral corps but don't think they're mandatory, just good. A taagma lieutenant linked with two chaksas is a very cheap, well-hidden and defended lieutenant that makes your cheerleaders stronger. On the other hand a Rasail gives you a good second model to receive a symbiomate (alongside whoever you have shooting in a tri-core link) and is a good model for cost. I favour the combi or viral profiles unless you have a lot of spare SWC. Usually I'll start with the viral then immediately downgrade because I decide I need 5pts, and using your Lt order to lay mines is actually a pretty great use of the model even if it isn't attacking.

Cothel, ChoTimberwolf and DustGod like this.
  15. csparris

csparris Captain Sunshine

Really enjoyed this episode. Lots of insight, good detail, and I hope to try it soon. I'm on my way to listening to it my second time through.

16. DustGod

See I'm not the only multi-listener...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks man I really do appreciate your advice... even before I knew you were on podcasts gettin' all world famous!

I can't wait for these models to show up on my porch....

ChoTimberwolf and RobertShepherd like this.
  17. spears

spears Well-Known Member

It's maybe worth pointing out that you roll metachemistry and booty etc at the end of your deployment phase unless its on an ad troop not when the model goes down. So you cant change the position of any of your models once you roll for metachem or booty.

18. RobertShepherd

For reference, this has been communicated differently in a few different rules threads. But that's how I prefer it as well.

19. spears

spears Well-Known Member

From the Faq:
    Q: When are Booty and MetaChemistry rolled for?
    A: After the player’s Deployment Phase.
    For AD troops and similar skills, the roll will take place after landing, as specified in the rules of these skills: After their Deployment.

Up until recently I was rolling it when placed too, I presume it was the original n3 ruling. Was the other thread aware/post faq?

20. RobertShepherd

From memory, several threads in particular on facebook that IJW has contributed to, which treat the FAQ statement somewhat loosely. However in terms of encouraging good play, the way you've described it is best. :)

spears likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation