1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla BioTechvore

Discussion in 'ITS' started by SpecOP6903, Apr 9, 2019.

1. SpecOP6903

SpecOP6903 Member

I've only played this mission a few times but is it just me or is it incredibly more difficult for vanilla armies over sectorials?? Am I missing something?

2. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yes and no.
    First, you don't lose the Marker Status if you fail the Biotechvore "confused deployment" roll, so your camos can move+move "free". Minelayers can be a nightmare, if you manage the roll and place a mine in front of an enemy Core...
    Second, Regular + Impetuous troops are great, specially the ones with huge movement like bikes... or the Krakot
    Libertos. Sure, roll 7 or less, and irregular, but...
    Third, you need Coordinated Orders to take as many units as possible from the deployment zone.
    Finally, units that have increased first movement are great (they can get out in 1-2 orders), and you need to remember that you need 2 moves + base for the units that move 10-10 (or 4-4 in inches).

It needs a list exclusively for this, indeed. Aleph enjoys Dakinis (fast, mimetic, great to have in the midfield with Suppressive Fire), Netrods ("free" 4 pts order), infiltrators (Mk2, Nagas...) and all have "sacrificial" units (8pts remotes, for example).

ZlaKhon, ChoTimberwolf and SpecOP6903 like this.
  3. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

It's not just you. Going second is also an incredible advantage.

SpecOP6903 likes this.
  4. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

To this point, there is no penalty for bringing units that deploy outside of your deployment zone other than the army points for those skills. If you fail they deploy just like any other trooper would deploy and you keep going. If they are successful with the Confused Deployment then you have a unit in the clear and and order to spend elsewhere to get things out.

SpecOP6903 and xagroth like this.
  5. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

1. That's kindof a big penalty, isn't it?
    2. The quote you have mentioned minelayer; I think you'd probably still lose the mine if you failed the confused deployment roll, but I don't remember how this was clarified when Biotechvore came out and it isn't in any of the ITS FAQs that we still have.

ChoTimberwolf, SpecOP6903 and xagroth like this.
  6. DukeofEarl

Only a penalty if you fail the roll. Otherwise it is a huge boon for order efficiency. That's a reasonable gamble for my mind, but ultimately it is a personal choice. In a tournament where you have to use just two lists I would say it is lessened as well due to being able to get full value in other missions.

You do loose the mine.

SpecOP6903 and xagroth like this.
  7. SpecOP6903

SpecOP6903 Member

Care to elaborate?

8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Going second has certain advantages depending on the kind of list you bring to bear. If you carry some credible ARO pieces that can also work in the midfield, for example HMGs you will keep on sides and use to attack enemy units on the other side, while covering the closer range with other units, the advantage is clear. The same can be said about "troops you can sacrifice" by leaving as ARO.

For example, one time I left my Mk4 Proxy (consider that Posthumans can be a liability in this mission: more bodies to clear, but no extra orders per body) with her Heavy Rocket Launcher in a tower, as an ARO piece. My enemy, Generic YJ with 4 kuang-shi and one Spitfire Su Jian, chose to go firrst... so I forced him to deploy first... and positioned my Mk4 to get the Kuangshi. He placed two of them close enough to the SuJian the template would affect it as well... So I had just negated the main advantage (impetuous order to get 4 kuangshi a move + dodge/move + move, so they only need a coordinated move + move to get out of the danger zone), but sadly the player did not use the EXTREMELY impetous orders, without paying the regular order to cancel each, and I was distracted and did not call him out on that (he lost anyway). The Su-Jian lost 2 wounds getting out of the danger zone too, and other KuangShi died, as did the celestial guard controller, due to ARO fire from my Dakinis, the Mk4, and other troops.

Bottom line: going first AND be forced to deploy first in this mission is a VERY bad situation for a player.

ChoTimberwolf and SpecOP6903 like this.
  9. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if you start first and you succeed in putting some well positionned suppressive fire, it can be a nightmare for the opponent. TR bots can be nice too, since they can both be a huge annoyance if you start second, and have a fast movement and still be a huge annoyance if you start first :)

I too like to leave some sacrificial long range ARO pieces like Mk.2 sniper, Mk.4 HRL, ML janissary .. Biotechvore can't kill them in one turn (unless they already sustained damage from the opponent of course), and i feel like their massive annoyance is totally worth the sacrifice.

ChoTimberwolf, SpecOP6903 and xagroth like this.
  10. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

If you go second, you can set up annoying AROs during deployment and then move any of those troopers that survive. The suppression fire point is a good one, but you'd have to have orders/command tokens left after handling your opponent's ARO pieces and moving up to do that.

SpecOP6903 likes this.
  11. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Indeed. That's why i like those sacrificial pawns, since i know i can put them somewhere and i won't use any orders on them on turn 1 (of course if i can and if they are still alive i may move them later), so i can move other troops instead.
    I agree that putting troops in suppressive fire may be difficult since most probably you'll be limited at 1 command token for the first turn. But a lucky forward deployment/infiltrator may be able to achieve that.

SpecOP6903 likes this.
  12. DukeofEarl

The Confused Deployment does not mean you can not infiltrate, impersonate, or forward deploy. It adds a roll even to the skills that wouldn't normally have had a roll, but if you are successful with that roll you now have a unit out of the danger zone and providing an order for other units to use to move out. If you fail the roll they deploy just like any other troop as, due to the Confused Deployment rule, they did not fail the Infiltration(etc.) roll, but the CD roll and are subject to different failure conditions. The CD Conditions mean that you deploy anywhere in your deployment zone and can retain marker states if applicable. That works out to no practical difference to having deployed them without the deployment skill in the first place.

#12 DukeofEarl, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  13. BLOODGOD

BLOODGOD Vampire Hunter

Remember that for most factions besides Ariadna those infiltrators are rolling on 9s at best. Those aren't great odds.

SpecOP6903 likes this.
  14. DukeofEarl

But with little penalty for failure (if you brought a non-infiltrator instead you would save a few points, but deploy the same as failing Confused Deployment) there isn't much of a gamble.

meikyoushisui likes this.
  15. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

So? 45% of being outside deployment, providing his order to facilitate moving out for others... and if the unit fails the confused deployment, then it's a move + move you don't care about enemy ARO (sure, they can try to discover you, but you only need one more move to get out!)

Else, Aleph would dominate this mission with the Netrods... specially with OSS, where you can move the Dakini Fireteam and be out in a single move+move.

16. grampyseer

grampyseer User of the "ignore" button
    Warcor

They don’t need to be. Any amount of success is pure gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meikyoushisui likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation