1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critical Hits and Impact Templates

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by paraelix, Apr 8, 2019.

1. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

For those that would like to discuss the validation of the fact that the ruling exists.

This is NOT the first time on this forum this has been discussed

https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/impact-template-issues.25259/page-3

Hilariously, Some of those now claiming ignorance of this ruling were participants in the very thread. Amd no alphz, this isnt a jab at you, just pointing out the situation

#21 daboarder, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

Yes, we should throw that out and instead take your insistence that IJW said something somewhere with no evidence of it as the strongest form of ruling, I agree...

meikyoushisui likes this.
  3. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

@Wolf didn't appear to be claiming ignorance of the ruling, so I'm not sure what you mean. Unless you are referring to my involvement, which was before the thread went remotely near the topic of criticals or past rulings, and was entirely to do with models losing their chance to Dodge due to being part of a link.

Wolf and Alphz like this.
  4. paraelix

You seem to be confusing me asking for a ruling where none exists, with me pushing some kind of hidden agenda.

I pointed out what IJW ruled. I pointed out that this supposed previous ruling doesn't exist anywhere that anyone can reproduce. I am asking for an official ruling to be provided in a place where it can be referenced outside of people's memories.

Wolf and Alphz like this.
  5. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Yeah sure. Edited.

Having read that I'd be even less surprised if that got reneged on. Coming from the good old days of that shock ruling we all knew and loved.

paraelix and daboarder like this.
  6. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

I never suggested it was hidden

7. daboarder

Warcor

Perhaps. And if they do i honestly dont care. But they havent yet. And so it should stand

Mahtamori likes this.
  8. paraelix

@Spleen I'm not really sure what I said that made you think I was "insisting" IJW's as the correct ruling. I state what he states, I ask for a clear ruling.

#28 paraelix, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Wolf likes this.
  9. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Interplanetary this year should 100% be Tarik links laying down light shotgun blanket crits until crits or at least Fatality 2 are out of the game.

WiT? and Triumph like this.
  10. daboarder

Warcor

See what i can do ;)

the huanglong and Triumph like this.
  11. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Don't forget to use super jump to technically shoot people in the back from the front using regular obstructions to provide immunity.

Hecaton, daboarder and the huanglong like this.
  12. daboarder

Warcor

I should just run Ramah, all the nasty in one nice package

Alphz likes this.
  13. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

To be blunt, @ijw does not give much credence to the old forum rulings because it was a period were we tested the idea of giving a fast answer to the questions now and if it was wrong or incomplete we would fix it in the FAQ later, for example the base to base contact answer were a mere step prevented close combat.

Obviously the test failed and many wrong or incomplete answers given were never corrected in a FAQ, hence a much more involved but really slower FAQ process that happens now (yes, we try to improve that...).

On the topic, IIRC the critical only affects the target model, everybody else face to face normally with the dice rolled but those dice are never critical for anybody else.

Its an in-between situation from a normal shooting and a chainrifle type of attack.

14. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

So is this new element of the latest FAQ (11th April 2019) the information we were looking for, and does it (particularly the last line 'counting as a success that can be beaten by higher rolls') answer all our questions?

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I believe it does. I'll go back and edit my post... does anyone know how this forum does strikethroughs?

16. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

the option is in the [+] near the Save.

Sabin76 likes this.
  17. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Perfect, thanks!

18. NachoCola

NachoCola Member

So if secondary targets do not get the crit effects, then it really screws over the shooter. It would be possible for AROs to crit you but impossible for you to crit them back. I can understand it not auto wounding the secondary target but it makes absolutely no sense that you cannot negate an opponents crit.

So I shotgun a troop and the template hits another troop. Both ARO shoot back. I crit my target which auto wounds the primary target. The second model shoots back and crits me. Even though our attacks are F2F and we both crit, my opponent wins. I actually have zero chance of success against that target if they crit, as I have no way to crit against them.

Hence why crits should still be considered for FtF resolution.

19. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

You don’t have to put all the shots into one target.

20. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

If you flip your thinking for a moment. You could also argue the other way. If the Impact Template Weapon user got a double crit effect its substantially harder for the Reactive player to react against. They'd be getting 2+ Crits worth of Crit Effect for 1 Dice of Crit rolled.

solkan and Robock like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation